Horrible roleplaying advice and mechanics

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Horrible roleplaying advice and mechanics

Post by Longes »

This thread is dedicated to the horrible roleplaying advice and related mechanics in the RPG books.

I'll start with Warhammer 40k: Black Crusade and Unknown Armies, since the crimes are similar.

BC incentives the characters alligned with Khorne to act like Leeroy Jenkins. Every time you do something ridiculously stupid and dangerous screaming your own name - you get a bonus. Unknown Armies has the Entropomancer, who does the same thing: risk TPK, get a bonus.
Last edited by Longes on Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

There are a few systems that give you immediate and unlimited bonus character resource points for roleplaying your "disadvantages," which is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen. Oh, you're inconveniencing your entire group by picking a character flaw that grinds play to a halt, like being mute or blind or something? Here's a giant pile of additional points to buy superpowers with!

Seriously, who the hell thought that was a good idea? It might be good to make sure characters in a book have flaws that inhibit them, but in a cooperative game that shit just punishes everyone else.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

D&D 4E had some sort of extensive waste of space in the DMG that was along the lines of "Offensive Inaccurate Gamer Stereotypes, how to inaccurately categorize your friends, how to mistreat them appropriately, and what names to call them when it causes your game to fall apart!"

But actually I still prefer an example from the old WOTC boards.

The standing advice there for every problem a GM ever faced was "Hit trouble player in the head with a brick/hammer!". This advice had several flaws.

1) Even as a joke it was a horrible attitude, and utterly unhelpful.

2) A lot of dumb fucks decided it wasn't a joke and declared they loved it and did it for realz.

3) "Grievous Bodily Assault your players!" was the main, and often only advice for ALL DM problems/questions. Ranging from "PLayer 1 is a bit mean" to "Player 3 beat my favorite monster, waaah!!" to "my players are being unpredictable and I can't deal with it!" and "I'm running out of ideas that interest my players" and so on...
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Amalie Gaston
NPC

Post by Amalie Gaston »

PhoneLobster wrote:D&D 4E had some sort of extensive waste of space in the DMG that was along the lines of "Offensive Inaccurate Gamer Stereotypes, how to inaccurately categorize your friends, how to mistreat them appropriately, and what names to call them when it causes your game to fall apart!"
This seems to be a pretty common thing. 3.5 has something similar in the DMG II and Pathfinder has its version in its Gamemastery Guide.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

How about the fact that RPGs in general have a 40-year history of trying to tell people that all personality/game style conflicts can be mitigated, and that any group of people can be molded in to a coherent play group.

This aspect is single-handedly responsible for more headaches and heartaches than all other things combined.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

V:tM 2E used to say players should roll self-insertion characters and that Masquerade was some sort of therapy session where the ST was obviously some mentally and emotionally superior being(fortunately, Wraith came to spit in the face of that shitty advice).
Last edited by Dogbert on Sat May 10, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

spongeknight wrote:There are a few systems that give you immediate and unlimited bonus character resource points for roleplaying your "disadvantages," which is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen. Oh, you're inconveniencing your entire group by picking a character flaw that grinds play to a halt, like being mute or blind or something? Here's a giant pile of additional points to buy superpowers with!

Seriously, who the hell thought that was a good idea? It might be good to make sure characters in a book have flaws that inhibit them, but in a cooperative game that shit just punishes everyone else.
Yeah, this.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's a general rule that should exist in point buy games, especially of the superhero genre, which comes from my friend's own ruling- A character who is "blind" but can "see" their surroundings through whatever method, is not blind, and thus does not get the points for such. At best, they should maybe get a small discount on the power that is allowing them to "see."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Also, Exalted and its thespiocracy where people got bigger bonuses the longer, lamer, and more game-stopping their actions' descriptions.

Perhaps I should stop poking holes at White Wolf, there's no merit in making firewood of a fallen log.
Last edited by Dogbert on Sun May 11, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Re: Horrible roleplaying advice and mechanics

Post by name_here »

Longes wrote: BC incentives the characters alligned with Khorne to act like Leeroy Jenkins. Every time you do something ridiculously stupid and dangerous screaming your own name - you get a bonus.
To be fair, that absolutely fits the setting. If your Khornite character isn't in the Blood Pact and reliably remembers guns can be used as ranged weapons, you are officially doing it wrong. There are three other Chaos Gods and Chaos Undivided for that.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

spongeknight wrote:There are a few systems that give you immediate and unlimited bonus character resource points for roleplaying your "disadvantages," which is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen. Oh, you're inconveniencing your entire group by picking a character flaw that grinds play to a halt, like being mute or blind or something? Here's a giant pile of additional points to buy superpowers with!

I don't agree with this at all. At least in Champions/HERO (is that where the mechanic came from? It certainly is one of the earliest examples) the point of disads/complications is to enforce genre conventions and create plot hooks. In that game everyone is expected to have the max number of complication points so it doesn't create balance problems.
Prak_Anima wrote:There's a general rule that should exist in point buy games, especially of the superhero genre, which comes from my friend's own ruling- A character who is "blind" but can "see" their surroundings through whatever method, is not blind, and thus does not get the points for such. At best, they should maybe get a small discount on the power that is allowing them to "see."
I'm not sure what system you are using but HERO at least is sufficiently crunchy that it matters that you see with your ears and not your eyes, and depending on how good your enhanced senses are that setup may not actually save you points.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mutants and Masterminds, but it stands. Because it always comes up with "I want to be daredevil, so I'll be blind, but my super special senses completely compensate for it, so I get bonus points, but can still see!" type characters.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Palladium, nuff said.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Prak_Anima wrote:Mutants and Masterminds, but it stands. Because it always comes up with "I want to be daredevil, so I'll be blind, but my super special senses completely compensate for it, so I get bonus points, but can still see!" type characters.
But then in M&M that stopped applying in 3E with abolition of Drawbacks. In 3E, if you want to be blind, it has to be as a Complication, and so, it only gives you a HP when it actually comes into play to your detriment.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So instead you're just given hero points for inconveniencing the entire party by not being able to help out and walking into things. Glass Jaw type effects where Fire attacks are Super Effective against you are another matter, because then you don't disrupt gameplay, you just personally get boned by Fire attacks and get stuff in exchange for it.
name_here wrote:
Longes wrote: BC incentives the characters alligned with Khorne to act like Leeroy Jenkins. Every time you do something ridiculously stupid and dangerous screaming your own name - you get a bonus.
To be fair, that absolutely fits the setting. If your Khornite character isn't in the Blood Pact and reliably remembers guns can be used as ranged weapons, you are officially doing it wrong. There are three other Chaos Gods and Chaos Undivided for that.
Congratulations, you've read the most recent Chaos crap, and apparently nothing else. Back in the day, before they dumbed it down, Khorne was the god of blood and of warfare. This includes firearms, artillery, tactics, mine fields, honourable duels, and in one case they specified it was about combat with worthy foes, not just indiscriminate killing of "anyone there".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Koumei wrote:Glass Jaw type effects where Fire attacks are Super Effective against you are another matter, because then you don't disrupt gameplay, you just personally get boned by Fire attacks and get stuff in exchange for it.
Aren't you boning the party by not being able to help out as much because you're unconscious from those Fire attacks?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

Prak_Anima wrote:Mutants and Masterminds, but it stands. Because it always comes up with "I want to be daredevil, so I'll be blind, but my super special senses completely compensate for it, so I get bonus points, but can still see!" type characters.
Then that is a flaw in Mutants and Masterminds. In HERO enhanced hearing doesn't completely compensate for sight.
virgil wrote:
Koumei wrote:Glass Jaw type effects where Fire attacks are Super Effective against you are another matter, because then you don't disrupt gameplay, you just personally get boned by Fire attacks and get stuff in exchange for it.
Aren't you boning the party by not being able to help out as much because you're unconscious from those Fire attacks?
Yeah, but in theory that is balanced by being able to help more in some other situations. More importantly complications of some sort are necessary in order to enable certain characters. Superman is weak to kryptonite, The Hulk sometimes can't control himself, vampires have a wide variety of weaknesses, werewolves are hurt by silver. If your game is supposed to support those types of characters then it needs some sort of disad system.
Last edited by Drolyt on Sun May 11, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

I played a character who was a were-jaguar in a Champions game. He always showed up in jaguar form (Ok, he once showed up in human form, and then the GM freaked out over his absurdly high pistol skill - somehow "national champion police shooter" didn't suggest an OCV of 16 to him, and he'd missed just what pistol he had...) and didn't talk. I mean he could respond, but conveying concepts was hard. I had fun, though I resorted to faxing them stuff occasionally.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Really? In 3e this looks like Reduced Trait(Vision [Ranged, Acute, Accurate]) (-5 points) and Senses (accurate hearing) (2 points). You get 3 points, but you can't read or detect many powers. It's probably not worth it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In 2e, Daredevil would basically have Blindness (5 point Drawback) and Blindsight (4 point Super Sense). You get 1 point and arguments about when your blindness comes into play and doesn't.

kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

Prak_Anima wrote:In 2e, Daredevil would basically have Blindness (5 point Drawback) and Blindsight (4 point Super Sense). You get 1 point and arguments about when your blindness comes into play and doesn't.
In a reasonably run champions game you either get no disadvantage and need to buy extra perception or you get blind (-35 pts) and then buy sonar (15 pts) or spacial awareness (32) and then deal with the issues these have, like you can't read a computer screen with either.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Gygax's AD&D DMG had a fabulously terrible rant about players wanting to play monster characters. It suggests that a good monster for a character to play is a gold fucking dragon, and that players should get all the powers of a monster as a starting character. Then it tells you that the only reason players want to be monsters is so that they can cheat for more power. And apparently the way to handle this is to simply give them all the power and then ramp up the opposition so that their character dies. Over and over again, until they figure out that having more power just gets them (and presumably the entire party) killed and they give up powergaming and roll up elves and dwarves like everyone else.

Every part of it is wrong.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I believe the same essay also says that no player could possibly play a female character correctly for the same reason they couldn't play a monster correctly, because it's too alien.

Might be a different essay, though.

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

name_here wrote:
Even if it fits the setting, the game still shouldn't advocate the player going for the TPK as often as he can.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, occasionally, maybe, but not constantly...