What's the least worst anime?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

What's the least worst anime?

Post by Dean »

I am a person who would say he doesn't like anime. Anime that is touted as the best of it's kind I find unpleasantly bad and animes that are supposed to be guilty pleasures I find intolerable. Still, having been a hardcore nerd my entire life I have longed for the ability to join in on all the anime fun everyone around me seems to be having. I was briefly able to do this with the Avatar The Last Airbender series but that time is now passed. I am turning to you all to direct me to things I could watch that are the highest quality anime products you know of. I'm of the firm belief that there must be some good anime out there given how much of it is produced and I would like to see it. My main problem with anime is most of them seem to be plotless. They are just things occurring with no reason or explanation. They are more like happenings than plots and the series crumbles the moment you look at anything and say "Why?". I'm interested to know what transcends this and to guide your suggestions I will list my opinions of some anime I've seen, in order of best to worst.

The Myazaki movies: I like these because I am human. They're good but they are movies, and I would like to find a series I could get into.
Samurai Champloo: The only anime series I've liked, it was pretty good. It's well drawn, stylistically cool, and its plot makes sense. This thing is the best of the best and even it was only "good". I would like to see more of this quality.
Elfen Lied: This show was......ok. It's not really good in any mentionable way but it didn't offend me and it had some cool elements. It did consistently bother me that they kept flip flopping on whether her psychic powers made psychic hands or not. They are supposed to be physical hands and they do things like make hand prints sometimes but other times she'll just stop a room full of bullets mid-track like she's Neo and that makes me feel like I'm the only one paying attention.
Attack On Titan: More like ass sack on bite me. This was terrible and how terrible I find AOT is the reason for this thread. I cannot imagine how people could watch this show and like it and it is being lauded as the most brilliant anime of the modern day. It is a show [spoilers?] about giants who exist for no reason attacking an enormous giant-proof city that people somehow managed to build in the middle of a field full of invulnerable carnivorous giants. The giants can't be killed even if you blow the whole top of their body off but they can be killed if you damage their neck (FUN FACT: A neck is in your top half). A Super Giant who teleports appears and tears down the walls so everyone runs further inside the walls. The giant keeps teleporting and tearing down more walls. To which the people keep running further inside walls. HE CAN TELEPORT! THE WALLS DO NOTHING! The premise of this show invalidates the premise for this show. Then the main character turns into a giant for no reason. This show is the worst.
Full-Metal Alchemist: I hate this show. The first episode of this show was so good I thought that this was going to be my in into the world of anime. They spend about 15 minutes of the first episode telling you there are TWO rules of magic in this world. One is that it requires rituals and you can't do it instantaneously, two that you have to give up stuff to make your magic work. The very first episode is a mystery about a guy who's trying to convince people to worship him because he appears to be able to do instantaneous magic without giving anything up. Obviously there's some smoke and mirrors involved so the hero's investigate and find some clues to what tricks he might be using. I loved it so far. The second episode reveals that in fact there IS no mystery and he can just do instantaneous magic that beaks all the rules and all the clues from the first episode were red herrings. What. The. Fuck. I think this should be grounds to charge the writers with war crimes. That is writing that transcends bad to become malicious. As if the world had wronged the writer in some way and he sought vengeance. How do you set your whole show up around a single premise and not be able to write within it for even the first episode. It is the most egregious example of authorial handwaiving I have ever seen in my life.
Last edited by Dean on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So deanrule, I guess you hate all mysteries that have ever existed?

Because literally 100% of your complaints against AoT and Fullmetal basically amount to: "I sure hate how there is this mystery the main characters are going to investigate for the next 20 episodes. I want to know all the mystery NOW!!!!!"
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Cowboy Bebop. Bubblegum Crisis.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Attack On Titan: More like ass sack on bite me. This was terrible and how terrible I find AOT is the reason for this thread. I cannot imagine how people could watch this show and like it and it is being lauded as the most brilliant anime of the modern day. It is a show [spoilers?] about giants who exist for no reason attacking an enormous giant-proof city that people somehow managed to build in the middle of a field full of invulnerable carnivorous giants. The giants can't be killed even if you blow the whole top of their body off but they can be killed if you damage their neck (FUN FACT: A neck is in your top half). A Super Giant who teleports appears and tears down the walls so everyone runs further inside the walls. The giant keeps teleporting and tearing down more walls. To which the people keep running further inside walls. HE CAN TELEPORT! THE WALLS DO NOTHING! The premise of this show invalidates the premise for this show. Then the main character turns into a giant for no reason. This show is the worst.
Uh, dude, your list of complaints about the plot include the explanations for the plot.
The Colossal Titan and Armored Titan cannot teleport; they're Titan Shifters like Eren. Now, Titans can be killed only by damaging the neck, specifically the portion of the neck Eren emerged from. This is probably not a coincidence. There is also an explanation for how the walls were built.
Full-Metal Alchemist: I hate this show. The first episode of this show was so good I thought that this was going to be my in into the world of anime. They spend about 15 minutes of the first episode telling you there are TWO rules of magic in this world. One is that it requires rituals and you can't do it instantaneously, two that you have to give up stuff to make your magic work. The very first episode is a mystery about a guy who's trying to convince people to worship him because he appears to be able to do instantaneous magic without giving anything up. Obviously there's some smoke and mirrors involved so the hero's investigate and find some clues to what tricks he might be using. I loved it so far. The second episode reveals that in fact there IS no mystery and he can just do instantaneous magic that beaks all the rules and all the clues from the first episode were red herrings. What. The. Fuck. I think this should be grounds to charge the writers with war crimes. That is writing that transcends bad to become malicious. As if the world had wronged the writer in some way and he sought vengeance. How do you set your whole show up around a single premise and not be able to write within it for even the first episode. It is the most egregious example of authorial handwaiving I have ever seen in my life.
Actually, in both FMA animes Equivalent Exchange is inviolate for the entire run.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

name_here wrote:Actually, in both FMA animes Equivalent Exchange is inviolate for the entire run.
But it is a mystery how that is the case, and the answer isn't revealed in the second episode, so therefore, like all mysteries that have ever existed, FMA is shit and the plot makes no sense.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Kaelik wrote:So deanrule, I guess you hate all mysteries that have ever existed?

Because literally 100% of your complaints against AoT and Fullmetal basically amount to: "I sure hate how there is this mystery the main characters are going to investigate for the next 20 episodes. I want to know all the mystery NOW!!!!!"
The difference between a good mystery and a bad mystery is that in a good mystery you are given the clues to theoretically have come up with the answer yourself. Certainly it's fair game to present conflicting stories or red herrings to muddy the waters but theoretically the information should be there, making the mystery feel more satisfying than an answer pulled out of the authors ass.

The problem here is that for me to be tantalized by the answers to future questions the answers to current questions must not be pants on head retarded. The given answer on the show about why AoT guy turned into a giant when eaten was because "He got so angry". And it seems like a lot of people being eaten would be angry so that makes no sense. The Giants only die when their neck is injured but if your blow them up (including their neck) they're fine. So that makes no sense. The show is about holding the lines of walls against the giants. But the normal giants are no threat, we see them pounding ineffectually on the walls every time we see the castle. The super giant that destroys the wall teleports in to do it, and then teleports in again to destroy a wall further in. So defending the walls makes no sense because it is explicitly not a barrier to the one monster that is destroying everything. The quest should be "researching teleportation blocks" or something so even the premise makes no sense.

I'm sure if the series went long enough we would learn more information about things but the information we have seems arbitrary and nonsensical and I have no reason to believe additional information would not be equally arbitrary. For the answers to a mystery to be satisfying they need to explain unknowns, not add additional unknowns. LOST, or The Prisoner, or Prometheus are the same kind of bullshit. Shows like this never have any real answers. They just have arbitrary answers and then more questions, which are no different from no answers at all. They are Ponzi Schemes of bad writing. Trying to entice each person to buy into the "mystery" that doesn't exist until eventually enough people see through the veil that the ratings flounder and then the show ends abruptly. Because just like a Ponzi Scheme there never was anything in the vault, just promises that things will get even better if you stay one more week.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

No, the explanation is presumably connected to the syringe his dad jabbed him with. Also, I'm pretty sure no Titan actually got the top half of their body blown up and survived; the Armored Titan did take an explosive shell to the face but he is not called the Squishy Titan. The cannons they have just aren't accurate enough against fast targets to reliably hit near the neck or large enough to destroy the neck with a torso shot.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Coming from the other thread, so I won't derail discussions of crappy D&D with crappy anime:
I will point out that there is one difference between Dragonball and Naruto which matters to a certain percentage of the population-- the art style. Some people will prefer one (Naruto*) over the other (Dragonball*)
I liked the Naruto series up until a certain point (the 80+ straight episodes of filler were strikes one and two, chapter 449 was strike three) so feel free to dismiss this as the ranting of the fanboy, but it or any other long-running action-adventure series compared to the original Dragonball + Dragonball Z anime? No contest.

That has to be the worst animated adaptation of a long-running manga series I've ever seen, and I'm including Fist of the North Star and the 4Kidz translation of One Piece. I'm not saying this as a 'hurr durr I'm so cool I spit on your kiddie crap' fanboy, because I like the original manga and I also like the distilled Dragonball Kai. But the awful animation and stretching out of scenes and the ridiculous filler (there were a couple of episodes I like, but by and large they suck) is just off the charts. If you like the original series at all, you owe it to yourself to watch Kai or read the original manga. It's seriously like comparing the first Star Trek movie to the second one.

NOTE: Okay, Dragonball (Z) isn't the worst anime that's been adapted from a manga (that would be Violence Jack, which I think is probably the worst anime, period, as well), but it's the worst adaptation. It's the Batman and Robin movie of bad anime, where a good original series was turned into utter crap.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

there is no least bad anime series.
it's all a matter of taste.
i, for example, don't like either elfen lied, samurai champloo or full metal alchemist.

bgc i could recommend, but be warned that it is very 80's/90's style cyber-punk, so if you like the miyazaki movies probably not much to your liking.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR FMA AHEAD IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE ZERO PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN FMA DO NOT CLICK THIS SPOILER TAG!
FMA is literally all about how the government is entirely corrupt and run by the big evil organization and conceals the truth about how Alchemy really works in order to further its own ends. The reason that guy can do that is that in universe the laws of alchemy are bullshit.
Dean, complaining about the first two episodes of FMA is dumb. The firsts episodes present the actual mystery, why CAN this man the boys think is a charleten preform these acts that shouldn't be possible. That's like complaining about the first few pages of the Hound of Baskervilles establishing a giant demon hound terrorizing a village. That you were taken in by the deception of the first episode is a point in the show's favor they brought you into the boys' reality and when everything they know is turned on its head you feel the same confusion and disbelief they do.

I put Attack on Titan on my not shit list because it's basically like Evangelion but the characters aren't insufferable, despicable, or both. Seriously it would be a 100% improvement to just mute the entire run of Evangelion and play slipknot over the fight scenes. You know what, that's going to be one of the metrics I test anime by from now on, would the show's quality in any way go down if you just muted the entire thing and played slipknot over the fight scenes?*

Now, as for suggestions.... Cowboy Bebop is definitely the archetypal suggestion for good anime, and it is good. Gundam is pretty good in all its robot fighting action but it's pretty entrenched in the whole space opera thing, so, there's that baggage.

And of course I would argue that Cyborg 009 is one of the best works of fiction ever produced by humanity. Seriously guys it doesn't matter if good quality video after episode 34 or so is more difficult to find than unicorns or that the entirety of the show will never be released on DVD in the west, go watch it it's super good. I also recommend the comics, but um, just remember something before going into the original comic it was made in 1964 and is very much a product of its time. I say this because Cyborg 009 is as multicultural as it is possible for a Japanese work of fiction to be. One of the protagonists is black and another is native american, I cannot even begin to tell you how huge that is I can think of... thee Japanese cartoons that have black people in them at all off the top of my head including 009 and I dare you guys to collectively, with out using google to come up with more then ten or eleven separate Japanese shows or comics that include black guys at all, bonus points if the black guy in question is a main character and doesn't play second fiddle or heel to some white guy. All that said, the original designs of 005 (the native american) and 008 (the African) are really, really, super racist. 005 less so but 008... I'm not going to sugar coat it, he's literally designed to look like a monkey in the original. It's terrible, and on every level offensive, but not unexpected from a Japanese comic from the early sixties as the Japanese just- don't have the same cultural sense of racism westerners do even today. But to the franchise's credit Ishomori himself later came to his senses and the design has become in every way better since the series first saw print.

Why thank you for the invitation Lego I will call it the ranting of a fanboy because Dragonbal an Dragonball Z have really serious problems that go way beyond animation and right into the story structure. For instance in Dragonball how Goku is an invincible marty stu and there is no sense of tension at any point in the running of the show. That's actually the same problem I have with Captain Harlock. The premise of the story is certainly interesting, and on paper the themes explored are very interesting, but you never feel like there's any danger of the good guys losing so the big, unstoppable, threat feels small and very stoppable and you lose interest in the heavy themes of humanity and what is acceptable in the fight for survival because there's never any tension and it all feels as weighty as a playground slap fight.

*assuming it is a type of anime that has fight scenes.
Last edited by darkmaster on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Samurai Jack or Grenadier maybe.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

name_here wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure no Titan actually got the top half of their body blown up and survived; the Armored Titan did take an explosive shell to the face but he is not called the Squishy Titan. The cannons they have just aren't accurate enough against fast targets to reliably hit near the neck or large enough to destroy the neck with a torso shot.
Though I cannot quote you a time mark I can tell you we do. We get both an sepia reference shot of a giant walking around with it's entire head turned into a smoking crater and then during the defense of one of the walls we get a glory shot of a giant getting it's head blown off and then getting back up.

I recall it well because I had a moment of intrigue and hope when I thought there might be people driving the giants living in their necks, and the neck stabbing was actually stabbing the drivers. Kinda like what we see later on. But then I remembered those scenes and got sad, then watched them to be sure and got sadder.

Anyway Cowboy Beebop and Bubblegum Crisis are shows that have been mentioned a few times. I've heard about Cowboy Beebop a bit and it's supposed to be a really good show but I don't know if I've ever heard about Bubblegum Crisis before.
Last edited by Dean on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Bubblegum Crisis is an old-school 80s cyberpunk series, with spin-offs like A.D. Police.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, A.D. Police basically focuses on the "normal police" that has to deal with the cyberzombie/cyborg/boomer problem.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Servant x Service is the best slice-of-life comedy about civil servants I've ever seen. Seriously, the characters are wonderful and the jokes never seem to lose their punch. The fact that it's only one season probably helps.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! is a pretty damn good comedy/drama about a demon overlord who flees from the final battle with the Heroes of Light™ and ends up in modern Japan. Good plot and characters, and remarkable narrative consistency (I at least didn't notice any idiot balls being tossed about). It's just one season, but hopefully it'll get a continuation.

Edit: I second the recommendation for Cowboy Bebop; if you enjoyed Samurai Champloo it's a pretty safe bet you'll like it.
Last edited by Shiritai on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

My forever-in-my-hearts are YuYu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin. Up to episode 60-something for both of 'em.

Kenshin starts off with a villain-of-the-week and then episode 30 happens and it spends the next 30 episodes on a single arc.

Hakusho was one of the shonen anime...well, okay, there's a sliding scale of power variety with "Naruto" on one end and "Dragonball Z" on the other. Hakusho's in the middle. Everyone has one or two tricks and they work them as hard as they can...Anyways. I guess I have a soft spot from watching them in middle school, but I seriously enjoyed them when they got going.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

^this, both are very good shonen anime. I really love Rurouni Kenshin, I also recommend the prequel movie Samurai X (but watch the cartoon first since spoilers) and the live action adaptation.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

deanruel87 wrote:The difference between a good mystery and a bad mystery is that in a good mystery you are given the clues to theoretically have come up with the answer yourself.
You are an idiot. The first episodes can only present you with so many clues in a fucking 50 or more series show.

So since you are such a tremendous cockbag who refuses to even notice the fucking clues being shoved down your throat, I will now pick no bones about spoiling anything and everything, and I will specifically call out the clues that help you understand and look back once you see the reveals, and in many cases, obviously foreshadow the reveals.
deanruel87 wrote:The given answer on the show about why AoT guy turned into a giant when eaten was because "He got so angry". And it seems like a lot of people being eaten would be angry so that makes no sense.
Yeah, if only they did a whole fucking scene that was a flashback to his father injecting him with a liquid that her doesn't understand and then telling him to find his father's lab in the basement. Because that might be the clue that in fact, Titans are people who have biology done to them. And since biology was done to Erin, he can turn into a Titan.
deanruel87 wrote:The Giants only die when their neck is injured but if your blow them up (including their neck) they're fine. So that makes no sense.
The Titans only die when a specific 1.5 meter long and 6 inch wide area is pierced. This very small size is hard to hit with a fucking cannon, and if you just blow this tiny part away without destroying it, it will reform into a fucking titan. This extremely small area is approximately the size of a human central nervous system, almost like the titans are actually humans with biology done to them, and your inability to understand that the only vulnerability is specifically their nervous system is really just you being ignorant on purpose because you decided to hate the show.
deanruel87 wrote:The show is about holding the lines of walls against the giants. But the normal giants are no threat, we see them pounding ineffectually on the walls every time we see the castle. The super giant that destroys the wall teleports in to do it, and then teleports in again to destroy a wall further in. So defending the walls makes no sense because it is explicitly not a barrier to the one monster that is destroying everything.
Well actually, if you paid even the slightest bit of attention when literally any character ever was speaking, you would have seen that literally every single person knows that the walls cannot be hurt or scaled by normal titans, which is why the guards are all drunkards, and why no one gives a shit about Titans until the giant titan appears.

Now of course, the Giant Titan appears, and wrecks the outer gate. However, you'll notice, that he "teleports" to a location that is outside the gate, and he never "teleports" to a location inside the gates where people live and can see him appear. You'll also notice that defending the wall seems to be a good idea because the giant titan killed zero human beings at any point, where the smaller titans that came in through the wholes killed lots of people. So since even if you completely blocked "teleportation" he could just walk from outside the walls, up to the walls, kick the wall, and then the little titans would come in and murder you, and it would be exactly same but without the cool mystery of how he appear.

The mystery of how he appears starts to look more interesting when you realize some few people can turn into Titans, like Eren, and then maybe you consider that he might be a human person suddenly turning into a giant in which case, it makes since how he appears where people can see him because he's giant when before they could not because he was small.

So yes, the walls continue to keep people safe as long as the giant titan doesn't break everything. And the mystery of the giant Titan is investigated by the main characters. And we find out there are an entire village of people who can turn into Titans and who live outside the walls.

EDIT: PS, since in an earlier post you complained about how the city being created makes no sense.... Suh you fucking idiot. It is part of the mystery of the Titans, and if you were willing to wait 10 whole episodes in that mystery would start to be unraveled when you find out the walls themselves are made of Giant titans that solidify their skin into a crystilline super hard wall. And then later it might even be revealed that this is because the titans were created by humans and they first created the walled city because they wanted a place of safety before unleashing the titans on the rest of the world.
So in conclusion, you are full of shit because you could easily see these clues and extrapolate to an actual fucking mystery if you did anything besides willfully ignore a flashback scene that occurs literally right after they show Eren as a Titan.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

NGE and is off the wall and a twist on religion. School Days is also a weird show. I would think the implication was that SNK and Trinity Blood are popular ones that don't just fill a weird niche. All have original takes on things so much that NGE was copied and spoofed as Dual Parallel Trouble that took Tenchi Muyo universe and mixed with some NGE concept.

FMA and FMA:B are ok the first time you watch them, but not something to rewatch. It was a good idea, the movie was a good conclusion to FMA, but going with the alternate universe just to keep the franchise alive seems to have killed FMA:B.

It really depends on what type of stories you like. There is a lot of T&A fanservice anime, there is a lot of crazy like Death Note, SNK (Attack on Titan), Hell Girl, etc. There is a lotof slice of life that is just like looking at the characters as if you were watching a fishbowl (Ghibli often fits in here).

If you were asking for a suggestion what to watch, then it would be hard to say without knowing what kind of stories you like.

If you ahve some ideas of what types of stories you like then something could be found to fit jsut about anything and you might like it. Some anime are even things you might not normally like, but the characters draw you into the story because they are well developed and have real depth.

So the question to ask is what type of show do you want to see?

Oh and if you like Samuraii Champloo or whatever with Mugen and such, you might have liked Samurai Jack as well, and will probably like Afro Samurai. They all have a running theme, not that being samurai or even the Meiji era, but just the attitude in them and Afro Samurai is like Anime meets Pulp Fiction meets The Boondocks.

If you do like the whole wearing a sword in the final days of Samurai when swords were banned, then there is a bunch you could watch.

Samurai Bride (beware: harem and T&A)
Hakuoki
Basilisk
(Shin) Koihime+Muso (not sure if i said this in the other thread, but this is what i meant if i said Shin somethingelse)
Gintama (it is an aliens +samurai on earth with lots of spoofs of other animes, but mainly spoofs Ruroni Kenshin)
Last edited by shadzar on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Don't- don't recommend School Days to people Shadzar. Okay, so, I'm about to spoil School Days for all of you but I don't care because School Days is fucking horrible and reprehensible.

A high school boy (we'll call him shit stain because I will be fucked if I bother to remember his name) has this girl he likes (we'll call her girl A) but is too shy to approach her so his friend (we'll call her girl B) offers to teach him about girls by allowing him to fuck her, because, you know, that's certainly a reasonable course of action. During the course of their "Special Training time" Girl B discovers that she's really in to shit stain and becomes jealous when he approaches Girl A and inters a relationship with her. However, as shit stain's relationship with Girl A goes on he discovers being in a relationship is more like work and less like fun than he had anticipated and decides it would be easier to just go back to fucking Girl B.

Now, at this point there is a perfectly reasonable way to settle all of this. Go to Girl A and say, "hey, this thing between us, it just isn't working out, I'm sorry, but it's over." He'd still be kind of a shitty guy but what he actually does is to start dating Girl B without telling Girl A anything at all. Much to Girl A's dismay who, upon finding out about this from her friends, who understandably assumed he did that actually sensible thing, slowly begins to go insane.

From here things begin to go down hill, by the end of the series shit stain is a sexual deviant and is sleeping around with like ten different girls which itself wouldn't be entirely irredeemable but he also treats them all like shit but they still become jealous of each other and fight over him. Eventually he decides who he wants to be with and he tells Girl B that Girl A has taken him back to which Girl B responds by murdering him and putting his head in a duffle bag. The end of the series is Girl B sitting on a park bench cradling shit stain's head in her arms.

This is apparently a genre in Japan, with one part of the old love triangle going insane and like destroying the life of the one the object of affection has chosen or murdering them or the object of affection but. I don't know, this show, the entire thing is just so mean spirited and uncomfortable and seeing while shit stain getting stabbed to death with a kitchen knife at the end is certainly satisfying after episode after episode of him being just- the most despicable kind of person. It doesn't make up for how terrible the rest of the show is.
Last edited by darkmaster on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaelik wrote:

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

darkmaster wrote:Don't- don't recommend School Days to people Shadzar.
I didn't but you seemed to, thus why he had to create this thread to dicipher your stupid ass statement from the other one.
deanruel87 wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Besides, things aren't really better now. For every Attack on Titan or Trinity Blood there's a Evangelion or School Days.
I can't figure out which ones you are referring to as the good ones. I thought Attack On Titan was painfully terrible but if some of those are really good anime I'm down to watch them.

EDIT: Decided to make a thread entirely about those anime, so question retracted.
School Days ranks right with Death Note, Crayon Shin Chan, and Super Milk Chan as stupid as fuck. Something I would expect form that Tim and Eric group of morons on CN
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I've never seen School Days, I just knew that within my circle of nerdy acquaintances that the title had become sort of a byword for elaborate trolling.
bears fall, everyone dies
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Deanrule, I think you should read "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga", as it goes over different manga genres in Japan, even has a chapter about 'Anime style'. (read right to left)

As for Elfen Lied, it talks about how 'psychic manga' tends to have the trope of a beautiful heroine discovering her powers when threatened in a saucy way:

'Even a Monkey can draw manga' came out in the late 80's but you can see all the genre conventions it talks about are accurate. It even predicted the coming of Naruto when discussing future trends.

I think you'd enjoy the read as you explore your tastes in things.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Shadzar, Trinity Blood and Attack on Titan are what can be classified and "not balls" while Evangelion and School Days could, on the other hand, be classified as "balls". Maybe you're just ignorant and didn't know that, but, oh, wait, I fucking explained, explicitly, that Evangelion is shit in the same thread. So there's not excuse for you to be unable to connect the concept that School Days and Evangelion were both being heaped into the shit pile together, you're just an idiot who lacks the capacity for cognitive thought.
Kaelik wrote:

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

So I watched the first episode of Cyborg 009 and, to my surprise, it was a lot of fun! I was an enjoyable 20 minutes and I was regularly impressed by the simple fact that I was having a good time. It's obviously not high cinema but it was genuinely enjoyable and I'll watch another.

Cowboy Bebop and BGC are locked in, I'll watch an episode of both in the next 24 hours. The shonen anime (which I googled to know what it was) of Hakusho and Kenshin seem like outside bets. I'll give them the old college try for a few episodes. Yuyu Hakusho seems like a cool world at least so there might be something there.

Samurai Jack I actually have watched a fair number of. I guess I didn't know if that was anime. I had no real problems with it. If I watched it 12 years ago I would have probably loved Samurai Jack but as a full grown man it's just not for me.
Last edited by Dean on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.