D6 Space-Is it any good?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

D6 Space-Is it any good?

Post by Shrieking Banshee »

Im looking through the D6 Space books, and so far it looks alright. Anybody played the system before? What are its flaws, and what are things to watch out for?

I also hear its based pretty much on Star Wars D6 and so I heard there where some kind of Wookie STR problems. Do those problems carry over to the newest version?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I'm not familiar with D6 SPACE. I've played Star Wars D6 (2 Ed) extensively. Requires a lot of mind caulk, has too many skills, and Jedi are better than you, so we tend to ignore them and just use the system for Rebel SpecOps missions. As a beer and pretzels shoot 'em up, we've had a lot of fun with it.

I've played Star Wars D6 with more or less the same folks since 1997 or so, so we're used to workarounds (houserules), the requisite mind caulk, and pretending Jedi don't exist.

I have no idea what the Wookiee STR problem is, unless you mean a Wookiee punching you is equivalent to a Light Repeating Blaster wound, but Wookiees are supposed to be able to tear people's arms off, and other playable species are equally strong, IIRC.

It works for us, but YMMV wildly.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morat
Journeyman

Post by Morat »

I suspect he's talking about strength as soak, so the Wookiee with 5D strength (or, worse, the Barabel with 5D strength, +1D resist energy, +1-2D armor) not being worried about blaster fire that would chop the rest of the party to pieces.

If you're rolling in with 5D-8D soak against 3D-5D blasters, you're pretty freakin' tough compared to the smuggler with 2D strength and maybe 1D of armor.