What should I review for OSSR next?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Libertad
Duke

What should I review for OSSR next?

Post by Libertad »

This may be a strange question to ask while I'm in the middle of Dragons of Krynn, but I already have 66% of said review in rough draft mode and I want to take a break from Dragonlance once I'm done with said review for a change of pace. It will also give me time to read ahead while posting Dragons of Krynn entries.

As such, I've made a Strawpoll here to accurately gauge audience enthusiasm.

Descriptions of the choices as follows:

1. Well I'm considering reviewing SIGMATA, an RPG where you play as a literal Antifa Super-Soldier.

2. Another idea was to do a review of the Ravenloft adventure's evolution through editions: the original AD&D I6, 3.5's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, and 5th Edition's Curse of Strahd.

3. Al-Qadim setting. It has both an Arabian Adventures and Land of Fate as its two main products, the former covering the more game mechanics side of things and the latter a more bird's eye view of the setting. I've played and read 1st Edition AD&D, but not so much 2nd so I'm thinking of reviewing the latter.

4. 3rd Edition's Book of Vile Darkness, both for its controversy at the time and also Monte Cook's puritan hang-ups and juvenile mindset at the time.

5. The Red Hand of Doom, an incredibly popular adventure for 3rd Edition.

If I had to rank them based on how I'm feeling right now, I'd be the most game for SIGMATA, Ravenloft, and/or al-Qadim. Ravenloft can be an interesting case study of an iconic adventure's evolution plus the whole Gothic goodness really tickles my fancy. SIGMATA because I figure a thorough rundown of the game's politics can be good to examine. Al-Qadim because it's a pretty neat and innovative setting which despite being in the Forgotten Realms has some new things to contribute besides "D&D but Arabian Nights."

Book of Vile Darkness may end up being a mock or hateview, which I fear may be draining.

Red Hand of Doom is shorter than the others I have lined up, but the plot is rather straightforward so it may be more of an analysis review. "Okay, it's the classic 'fight the invading army, but HOW does it do things right?"
Last edited by Libertad on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

Post by ColorBlindNinja61 »

I'd love to see an OSSR of 3.5's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft or 5e's Curse of Strahd.

Red Hand of Doom would be cool too, because it's praised as one of the better 3.5 adventure modules.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Al-Qadim.
-This space intentionally left blank
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I'm still waiting for somebody to drink themselves halfway to a coma and do the mehwarrior (no, that is not a typo, i intentionally wrote meh instead of mech) RPG (A Time of War)
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Space Madness!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

There's already one for Book of Vile Darkness.

Al-Qadim looks interesting.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I've never heard of SIGMATA, a review of that would tell me more than some of those others. Red Hand of Doom would be my second choice.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

how about OD&D
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Under the circumstances, I'd rather see something new. The Books of VD and ED had their own threads back in he day. Al Qadim would be new ground.

-Username17
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Orca wrote:I've never heard of SIGMATA, a review of that would tell me more than some of those others. Red Hand of Doom would be my second choice.
SIGMATA is a superhero RPG game set in an alternate history pseudo-cyberpunk 1980s USA where Neo-Nazis managed to take control of mainstream American society and the PCs are part of an underground resistance movement fighting against them. There's a secret radio signal which broadcasts randomly, gifting a few resistance members with superpowers for a short while.

Or at least, that's what the initial pitch is. The book's world-building is a bit...iffy in parts, where it waffles between a totalitarian nightmare where Nazi gold is openly touted by banks as indication of financial stability vs. one where the fascist rulers are still covert about funding white supremacist groups due to a need to avoid negative publicity if they're too obvious about it. The writer is clearly drawing upon modern-day Alt-Right groups who deny being fascists on one hand while trying to insert their rhetoric into the mainstream, but then this makes me ask why the 1980s?

The game was rather controversial when it came out, and not just among chuds. The writer had some misunderstandings about US politics and history, such as 3/4ths of the underground resistance factions belonging to groups who both historically and today ally with or have been infiltrated by hate groups: AnCap Businessmen, the Militia Movement, and the Religious Right. That was a big turning point for many lefty KickStarter backers in wanting refunds.

As a political junky, it's something I'd have a lot of fun reviewing.
FrankTrollman wrote:Under the circumstances, I'd rather see something new. The Books of VD and ED had their own threads back in he day. Al Qadim would be new ground.

-Username17
Chances are you may very well get your wish, for al-Qadim is #2 in the polls right now. They'll be open for a week to give people time to vote.
Last edited by Libertad on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
00dani
NPC

Post by 00dani »

Libertad wrote:SIGMATA is a superhero RPG game set in an alternate history pseudo-cyberpunk 1980s USA where Neo-Nazis managed to take control of mainstream American society and the PCs are part of an underground resistance movement fighting against them. There's a secret radio signal which broadcasts randomly, gifting a few resistance members with superpowers for a short while.
This game sounds fascinating. As a figurative antifa supersoldier, I'd love to hear more about what they got right and what they got horribly, horribly wrong.

I'm not sure it qualifies as an OSSR, since it looks like it's just a few years old, but nonetheless something I'd love to read!
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

00dani wrote:This game sounds fascinating. As a figurative antifa supersoldier, I'd love to hear more about what they got right and what they got horribly, horribly wrong.

I'm not sure it qualifies as an OSSR, since it looks like it's just a few years old, but nonetheless something I'd love to read!
Cackles in Cat Alunyan
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I fucking knew I recognized that catgirl!
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

For those who haven't voted yet, you have 24 hours left!
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

Libertad wrote:For those who haven't voted yet, you have 24 hours left!
In hindsight, I regret not voting for Red Hand of Doom, since I'm going to be running it next Tuesday. :)
erik
King

Post by erik »

My Al-Qadim exposure was a monster manual that my brother had back in the day. And of that all I remember is Bhut and Juggernaut. So that got my vote to try and stir up some old memories. Also, I think we have a RHOD thread that people can revisit (probably multiple threads, but that's the one I remember).
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

erik wrote:My Al-Qadim exposure was a monster manual that my brother had back in the day. And of that all I remember is Bhut and Juggernaut. So that got my vote to try and stir up some old memories. Also, I think we have a RHOD thread that people can revisit (probably multiple threads, but that's the one I remember).
I guess I could do a campaign journal or something if anyone's interested.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

I'm down for the unfortunately named Al-Qadim.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

The polls closed just now. The results are in, and while it was a close call for days, al-Qadim squeaked by a victory. I shall be reviewing that first, but fear not! I will be reviewing SIGMATA immediately afterwards!