WOTC boards back on-line

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

You know, boards1.wizards.com was a perfectly great way to do a forum. Why did they go fuck it up twice now?
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Surgo wrote:You know, boards1.wizards.com was a perfectly great way to do a forum. Why did they go fuck it up twice now?
Because they aren't smart?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

When I first saw Gleemax and the fuck up of the boards I wondered how far will they go. As the old saying goes "to infinity and beyond!" Gleemax was infinite fucking stupid, now they are trying for the second order of infinity; it's infinitely irrationally fucking stupid.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

WotC's very own sit on my facebook and I'll twitter your myspace!

Looks like it was built on some sort of early 90's design philosophy to just cram in flashy things to get people's attention that doesn't really work cause they just want to count page hits.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The change pretty much effectively killed and buried the D&D boards.

The CO board for example now in the evening shows posts from a day ago; it used to be you had to go back to the third page to see day-old posts as recently as early August.

Have I mentioned how glad I am of this change?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The change pretty much effectively killed and buried the D&D boards.
Yeah, I just took a look at it...

My god... It's fucking horrible. It just hurts my eyes to even try to read it.
technophile
NPC

Post by technophile »

I wonder if WOTC considers that a feature. I mean, all the CO boards really did was point out how consistently badly their stuff was playtested/balanced; killing it probably looks like a win from their perspective. ;)
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I just pointed out the CO boards because it's one of the more active ones.

I'd expect the decline in population to be universal.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I keep trying to get used to them, but it's tough. When I try to respond to a post, I have to log in....then I get dumped out to the community section, so I have to go back into the forums and find what I'm trying to respond to.

They seemed to have lost my old name; they've put an unused alt name for my 'main' account, no clue how to switch back.

Just plain yuck.
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

All MuP where disabled as the new forum doesn't support them.
That means your stuck with name unless you reregister with a ne e-mail.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

shadzar wrote:WotC's very own sit on my facebook and I'll twitter your myspace!

Looks like it was built on some sort of early 90's design philosophy to just cram in flashy things to get people's attention that doesn't really work cause they just want to count page hits.
The sad thing is that there's actually a site that apparently does a lot of what Gleemax wanted to do without the bugs and the horrible color scheme.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I also love all the forced white space, and how much less control I have of the formatting of my posts.

Plus, half of the old tags are now broken, so some of my old stuff I posted three years ago looks like crap.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Well, I tried logging into the WotC boards again. They still want me to give them my mailing address, so I don't think I need to feel any obligation to update my project there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:
shadzar wrote:WotC's very own sit on my facebook and I'll twitter your myspace!

The sad thing is that there's actually a site that apparently does a lot of what Gleemax wanted to do without the bugs and the horrible color scheme.
I know there is one called Gaia Online, built off of phpBB 2.

It is worth more than and advancing quicker than MySpace or FACEBOOK, with an older forum software running it! Even the latest vBulletin can do more than GO had to start with.

GO also started with about 20 people pooling some money for fun, and took $2 donations a month for something you could only look at.

They took "community sites" to the extreme a few years back when the started broadcasting anime videos, and ful length movies before Veoh, Hulu, Joost, and CrunchyRoll even got off the ground. Heck they were doing better video than Youtube with just phpBB...the same thing this forum runs on. :mrgreen:

All WotC neded was someone competent enough to tweak phpBB and install the hacks to do ANYTHING with it.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

shadzar wrote:All WotC neded was someone competent enough
I find that is the root of all WotC problems.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Yeah, Wotc seems in the habit of throwing money at stuff, just like they throw their designs on people.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I, for one, miss Gamer_Zer0.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

and their search function sucks. I just tried searching for an old post of mine on weapon sizing, it didn't turn up a damned thing and there's no advanced search.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Are there any decent forums for 4e? Its the only game in my town and I would like to get caught up on what sort of weird shit can be pulled off so encounters would not take so damn long but Wizards is not only full of the stupid that filled up the banned threads but is now actually eyerapingly horrible to look at.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

You could try RPG.net or ENWorld. Logicninja is probably a decent source for all your 4e optimization needs. You could also ask Lago--he seems pretty keen on 4e's mechanics.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You can also try Giantitp.com, they seem to have gone with the flow (in general, that is) or Brilliant Gameologists
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

'Rpg.net'

'Enworld'

'Giantitp.com'

Wasn't the goal here to avoid stupidity? The only one that cannot be automatically dismissed as irrelevant is BG, and that's only because I haven't checked it in a while to see if they're still made of Fail.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Psychic Robot wrote:I, for one, miss Gamer_Zer0.
Why? All 37 of your accounts argued with him endlessly...oh wait..I just answered my own question. :rofl:

Was I the reason he left, or did he actually get fired in a cut-back where his abilities and job function weren't required anymore?

I just wonder if/when they will get it fixed where I can see beyond the screenshots of the forum, and see something other than a Whoops! page?
Last edited by shadzar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

that's only because I haven't checked it in a while to see if they're still made of Fail.
They are, unfortunately. However, despite my personal dislike at forums like RPG.net, they are a good place to go for 4e stuff. And even though I find LogicNinja's "4e defense squad" behavior irritating, he's still a good source for 4e optimization.
Ant wrote:
The Iron Mage
NPC

Post by The Iron Mage »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I approve of the change.

Just another nail in the coffin of 4th Edition.
LOL That made me laugh.
Honestly, I think the new layout really, really sucks.