Pathfinder: the Lowdown

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

FrankTrollman wrote:The thing is that for all their bitching about the uselessness of "theory craft" - the reality is that it's the only thing that makes any difference at all. They ask for tales from the table because they don't have to listen to them.
tl;dr version of Frank: Paizo doesn't actually want player input on design issues, they just want to pretend they do because it makes them look good on paper.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

Archmage wrote:Paizo doesn't actually want player input on design issues, they just want to pretend they do because it is free advertisement .
fixed.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I don't really read the websites for WotC/Paizo/anybody else, so the entirety of game advertisement I encounter is due to word of mouth. The way I figure, "making yourself look good" to the gamer crowd is advertisement. But yes, feel free to make it more explicit.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Bulmahn is actually right that the theoretical math posts don't contribute anything, but that's because the Paizils are convinced that anything that Bulmahn shits out is golden.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Psychic Robot wrote:Bulmahn is actually right that the theoretical math posts don't contribute anything, but that's because the Paizils are convinced that anything that Bulmahn shits out is golden.
There are actually a decent number of people in that thread and others like it that are providing criticism, albeit light criticism. You can argue that those people are posting on the Paizo forum but aren't "Paizils," though you have kind of a self-fulfilling No-True-Scotsman there.

Granted, the majority of the criticism is completely stupid and the people who are defending the design decisions are even stupider, but I don't think it's fair to say everyone on the PF forum is constantly fellating Bulmahn.
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

Hey there all,

It seems that every time we have a playtest there needs to be a lengthy and largely pointless thread performing hypothetical comparisons of the class to other classes (who have different goals and talents) or to single monsters without group support (which is not how the game itself is played).

While useful for a bit, these threads are ultimately not all that productive. They are certainly not as useful as actual playtest data. They almost always devolve in to bickering and trolling.

This one has run it's course. Do not start another

This thread is locked.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing
Case in point, I suppose.

Although I wonder what "different goals and talents" could possibly be. Auto-Euthanasia?
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Well the Magus' goal is to try and do two things and fail at both of them. That's different from the Fighter's goal of trying to do a single thing and failing at it. It's also different from the Wizard's goal of making everyone his harem bitch and succeeding.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
K
King

Post by K »

malak wrote:
Archmage wrote:Paizo doesn't actually want player input on design issues, they just want to pretend they do because it is free advertisement .
fixed.
Actually, he seems to want to people to give him ideas that he can take as his own without giving credit. He's crowd-sourcing design to cover his own failings as a designer.

Whatever. People who have been playing the game for years can look at a class and tell you when something will work or not work based on their own experience and attempts at doing the same. Since it seems he can't do that, I don't expect he'll stay Lead Designer for that long.

But then again, he just might. It's not like there are a lot of potential designers living within driving distance of Paizo's offices.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Those Paizils are really riled up. Apparently us Denners are the root of all evil, and they're on a witch hunt for us.

And according to them I'm already over there. That's news to me.

I guess I'm turning into Frank, where they see me in the shadows every which way they turn. Lurking the Paizils is fun.
Last edited by Roy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Wow. Pathfinder has it's own TV Trope. There's really nothing worth reading in there, though. They talk mostly about the setting and not the rules.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

RobbyPants wrote:Wow. Pathfinder has it's own TV Trope. There's really nothing worth reading in there, though. They talk mostly about the setting and not the rules.
Probably because they don't want a flame war on the article page.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

RobbyPants wrote:Wow. Pathfinder has it's own TV Trope. There's really nothing worth reading in there, though. They talk mostly about the setting and not the rules.
Doesn't sound more than half bad, and there is mention of the caster/noncaster issue.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Doesn't sound more than half bad, and there is mention of the caster/noncaster issue.
Which might or might not have been there before that page was linked here.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Roy wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:Doesn't sound more than half bad, and there is mention of the caster/noncaster issue.
It was, though only for an hour it seems (3 1/2 hours as of this post). Do I foresee an edit war?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote:Whatever. People who have been playing the game for years can look at a class and tell you when something will work or not work based on their own experience and attempts at doing the same. Since it seems he can't do that, I don't expect he'll stay Lead Designer for that long.
Since when has "K thinks it's well-designed" been a prerequisite for a successful game?
K
King

Post by K »

hogarth wrote:
K wrote:Whatever. People who have been playing the game for years can look at a class and tell you when something will work or not work based on their own experience and attempts at doing the same. Since it seems he can't do that, I don't expect he'll stay Lead Designer for that long.
Since when has "K thinks it's well-designed" been a prerequisite for a successful game?
I don't even know what this comment is supposed to accomplish.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote:
hogarth wrote:
I don't even know what this comment is supposed to accomplish.
Why do you not "expect he'll stay Lead Designer for that long"? What does being a good designer have to do with being an employed designer?
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

If anything sometimes it seems like those things are inversely related.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
K
King

Post by K »

hogarth wrote:
K wrote: I don't even know what this comment is supposed to accomplish.
Why do you not "expect he'll stay Lead Designer for that long"? What does being a good designer have to do with being an employed designer?
People pay for designers because, good or bad, they bring new ideas to the game. Jason B. is not doing that.... like, at all.

I mean, look at the Magus. It's like someone looked at the old Bladesinger, Eldritch Knight, Spellsword and strangely enough the Kensai and then cherry-picked some stuff, then got cold feet and decided to drop the power level considerably on concepts that were subpar to begin with. There aren't any actually new ideas there at all.

And it's going to come to people's attention that if you want someone to just recycle the ideas from 3e, you can throw a stone at a convention and hit 4-5 guys you wouldn't mind sharing an office with who can do that, but going with a new one periodically means they'll value a different set of ideas from 3e and maybe use a better subset.

But I don't know what Paizo's long-term business plan is. They might just be willing to suck on 3e's leavings and keep their buddies employed, and in that case JB has a job for as long that the downward spiral lasts. In that scenario, Jason can just keep stealing ideas from 3e and from random people on gaming boards indefinitely.
Last edited by K on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Given that Bulmahn was employed at Paizo long before Pathfinder, I have a feeling that Pathfinder's success or failure will not seriously affect his employment status.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Psychic Robot wrote:Given that Bulmahn was employed at Paizo long before Pathfinder, I have a feeling that Pathfinder's success or failure will not seriously affect his employment status.
Bingo.

I think it's more likely that Paizo runs out of ideas long before Jason would be fired.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Quantumboost wrote:
Roy wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:Doesn't sound more than half bad, and there is mention of the caster/noncaster issue.
It was, though only for an hour it seems (3 1/2 hours as of this post). Do I foresee an edit war?
Still looks there to me. It was removed?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

K wrote:I mean, look at the Magus. It's like someone looked at the old Bladesinger, Eldritch Knight, Spellsword and strangely enough the Kensai and then cherry-picked some stuff, then got cold feet and decided to drop the power level considerably on concepts that were subpar to begin with. There aren't any actually new ideas there at all.
It's a new idea. It's a guy who dual-wields with spells in one hand and a weapon in the other, and that really hasn't been done before. I'm wondering who exactly wanted that and why it's a good idea to start out with the penalties (bad BAB, bad spellcasting, numeric penalties to everything) and try and use that as a framework, but it is a new idea after a fashion.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A Man In Black wrote:
K wrote:I mean, look at the Magus. It's like someone looked at the old Bladesinger, Eldritch Knight, Spellsword and strangely enough the Kensai and then cherry-picked some stuff, then got cold feet and decided to drop the power level considerably on concepts that were subpar to begin with. There aren't any actually new ideas there at all.
It's a new idea. It's a guy who dual-wields with spells in one hand and a weapon in the other, and that really hasn't been done before. I'm wondering who exactly wanted that and why it's a good idea to start out with the penalties (bad BAB, bad spellcasting, numeric penalties to everything) and try and use that as a framework, but it is a new idea after a fashion.
But there was already the Blade Singer, the Duskblade, the Spellsword, and the Eldritch Knight. I really don't see what the new idea is.

-Username17
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

A Man In Black wrote: It's a new idea. It's a guy who dual-wields with spells in one hand and a weapon in the other, and that really hasn't been done before.
This was actually explicitly the flavor of the Bladesinger from the 2e Complete Book of Elves and followed through to at least the first Bladesinger prestige class in 3.0.