Game best inspiration for D&D empire-building rules?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Speaking of computer games and world generation, my buddy was showing me one of the fantasy world mapping programs that I unfortunately forget the name of right now. Anyway, the program will spit out random maps for a region and put a town down if you want. The nice thing is that you can then zoom in on the town and it will show you how the buildings and roads are laid out (it kind of looks like those old-style maps where the buildings are black shapes and the important ones are obvious or labelled).

Something like this, just in color:
I think you can even zoom in on terrain features and get more detailed information there too. Like, a zoom on a forest will place individual trees or rocky outcroppings or streams and such. Looking at the sea shore will give you small barrier islands and beaches. I don't think it will give you a map for the interior of a building or dungeon, however.

The additions to this program that would make it awesome would be an ability to specifically add or remove things, the ability to randomly generate dungeons and building interiors, a layering function to improve game useage with a projector, and a function to populate the area with tribes and monsters and such. For example, it would be awesome if you could have the program show you, via points on the map, each individual Mature Adult or older Dragon in the region (or world); or every adventurer class NPC of 11th level or higher.

Something like that would make all of this world-building and realm management much easier.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

violence in the media wrote:The additions to this program that would make it awesome would be an ability to specifically add or remove things, the ability to randomly generate dungeons and building interiors, a layering function to improve game useage with a projector, and a function to populate the area with tribes and monsters and such. For example, it would be awesome if you could have the program show you, via points on the map, each individual Mature Adult or older Dragon in the region (or world); or every adventurer class NPC of 11th level or higher.

Something like that would make all of this world-building and realm management much easier.
Something like that would be awesome. Why don't you go find out what the Fantasy World Generator is called, and call up the people that made it and tell them that?
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456