Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

bitnine
Journeyman

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by bitnine »

Yeah, some of the basic concepts of scaling upon scaling may not be wrong, but the idea tries to quantify things into a metric that's real questionable and completely discounts some of the most overwhelming aspects that form trends like the existence and effectiveness of different modes of delivery for character resources.

Next let's use horsepower to compare the performance of a particular rocket car versus a plane in a race around the world, starting west from New York.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 6[br][br]I started a thread criticizing the Jedi religion. The dominant response seems to be, "But-- Jediism is just like Christianity, and *everyone* loves Christianity!"
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Disproof by counterexample: "I don't."
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178752524[/unixtime]]http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 6[br][br]I started a thread criticizing the Jedi religion. The dominant response seems to be, "But-- Jediism is just like Christianity, and *everyone* loves Christianity!"

Wow...just wow, there are lot people just shooting off at mouth and using incomplete knowledge to back up their claims. This probably has more to due with people throwing there own personally beliefs into a nonsensical absolutist "Force" which was further tarnish by the "prequel trilogy", which was utter shit, and trying to use extreme example to prove their point.
:sad:
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Probably shouldn't link your own threads here, we aren't playing troll.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Can we play Grammar Nazi?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Man, that Christianity bit really pissed me off. I was tempted to post "The reason Jefferson explained that the 1st amendment implied "Separation of Church and State" was to keep assholes like you from telling me that I have to be Christian.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that everyone over at WotC is a born-again Evangelical, and I'd just get myself banned.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A big mistake that foreigners I've met sometimes make is that American blacks n whites = automatic Christian, which is also not true.
Unlike like more racially and culturally homogenous countries, we have a choice of religion (to some degree, at least better than, say, China or Iran?...)
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Some guy from the jedi thread wrote:So? Seperation of church and state os absolutely rediculous. It's not part of our constitution nor any other nations that I can think of. Whay wold the Republic have it? That hardly makes the Jedi evil any more then it wold make Christianity evil. Oh wait...

Anybody notice this? I mean wow, just wow.

Reminds me of the time I had to take a course on geography at Ivytech. You had to participate in messageboard discussions or lose your participation grade. When discussing the future of Europe, one guy said that he thought that Europe would become more homogeneous, with one language and one religion, just like us.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Every time somebody tries to tell me that freedom of religion does not logically entail freedom from religion, Yahweh kills a kitten.

Speaking of which, where do you people get all these pics of kittens? I'm particularly interested in the Emo Kitten and the Dunecat.
Current pet peeves:
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

NineInchNall at [unixtime wrote:1178775061[/unixtime]]
Speaking of which, where do you people get all these pics of kittens? I'm particularly interested in the Emo Kitten and the Dunecat.
You're better off not knowing ;)
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

But damn it all, I want to know!
Current pet peeves:
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I get them every Caturday.
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Every Caturday over in the asshole of the internet you'll find all the cat pics you can stomach, and a whole heck of a lot of things that you can't stomach.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

wrote:Speaking of which, where do you people get all these pics of kittens? I'm particularly interested in the Emo Kitten and the Dunecat.

I imagine they are everywhere.

But ALL of them end up here

As that place will teach you Cieling cat is a baaaad kitty.

In unrelated news to track that place back down I had to dig through the archives of one of my favourite places, which included this...
Exciting presidential mission
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178752524[/unixtime]]http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... 6[br][br]I started a thread criticizing the Jedi religion. The dominant response seems to be, "But-- Jediism is just like Christianity, and *everyone* loves Christianity!"

There's a Jedi religion? Boy am I out of touch. That has got to be the most incoherent thread I've seen in a long time. And the question of Jefferson and the first commandment was completely bonkers. Jefferson only cared about idiots like German King George being head of state and head of the official required state religion.

Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

http://caturday.ca/

That has a bunch of them, though I never use it, as I possess a more direct source.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

More direct than /b/?
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

No, that is the direct source.
micah
NPC

Post by micah »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1178803396[/unixtime]]
There's a Jedi religion?

Perhaps.
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Go New Zealand!
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Guest (Unregistered) wrote:I started a thread criticizing the Jedi religion.

What the fuck dude.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

I think this one's going to get real fun real fast.

Seriously, it has a lot of great elements, like tarkin sounding very reasonable, cries of gishes being broken, and some delightfully willful parsing of words like "usually", "trumps", and "irrelevant". (Note this is written as of post 27 and that first clause is not a blank check, so to speak.)
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

bitnine at [unixtime wrote:1178837895[/unixtime]]like tarkin sounding very reasonable,

This is terribly disconcerting.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1178839970[/unixtime]]
bitnine at [unixtime wrote:1178837895[/unixtime]]like tarkin sounding very reasonable,

This is terribly disconcerting.

When tarkin sticks to just the rules, he very often can sound reasonable. The bullshit comes in when he starts that loose/power/anything goes crap.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson