So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Anybody know where I can get a copy of Gunbuster (aim for the top)?
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

When you say copy, do you mean a physical legal copy? If so, that's probably going to be 100-200 USD.

If you do not mean a physical legal copy, you'll be happy to know the owners of the property are not being particularly litigious over it, so "bakabt aim for the top" would be a helpful google search. Pick your preferred release over there on the right (which is obviously 1080p blu-ray, though if for some reason 2 gigs per episode offends you and you're watching on an ordinary computer monitor 720p isn't that much of a downgrade for half the size) and voila.

Other option: there is the U.S. BD release Gunbuster vs Diebuster: Aim for the Top! The GATTAI!!, which includes theatrical edits of Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 and a bunch of special features or whatever. But they are theatrical edits, not a simple remastering of the original OVA's. I don't know how true these theatrical edits are to the originals, but considering they are shorter than the OVA series that spawned them they simply can't have all the same content.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I got into Senran Kagura yesterday. The first two episodes have been subbed so far. The art is good quality, and it's both funny and cute. Oh, also, sexy.

Basically it's about ninjas*. And underwear. Oh, and boob-grabbing. One of the characters is addicted to fondling another character's boobs, though I can't actually blame her.

*I know any mention of ninjas requires the "what type?" thing. Big-boobed schoolgirl ninjas in teams that work together to do ???, but that still doesn't tell you how stealthy, magical or violent they are. They have stealth tricks, are awesome martial artists (with varieties of weapons) and can summon giant monsters. Also they can transform into more powerful less-clothed versions of themselves. So they're martial artist stealth-trick summoner magical girls. I'm sure episode three will reveal them to be psychics and robots who can shit unicorns.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Seems to be your typical, average anime. Sounds good.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Mandatory UVic Anime semester report. We'll be watching the first episodes of everything next week, but I've already seen half the series so I'll comment now.

The first anime of the night will be Dennou Coil, which I am surprised I didn't mention before. It takes place in a near-future city encompassed by an augmented reality network. The main characters are children that spend much of their time exploring the network's eccentricities. Meanwhile, the corporation that runs the network is increasing security and artifacts of the network's original form continue to surface a wreak havoc.
My only real complaint about Dennou Coil is that most of the filler episodes occur back-to-back in the middle of the series. It's like they had this great story but were given more space to tell it than they needed. It's all great filler that fleshes out characters and the world, but it didn't have to be structured that way.

We will also be watching Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? (Is this a zombie?). It's a harem-comedy with some serious, plot-filled episodes. Aikawa Ayumu tried to interrupt the serial killer that had been plaguing the neighbourhood, but was killed himself instead. He was raised as a zombie by the necromancer Eucliwood Hellscythe, who proceeded to move into his house. By the end of the first episode, he has accidentally absorbed the powers of a magical girl (who also moves in with him) and must occasionally use them to save the city from rampaging monsters in her stead. Rounding out the core cast are Serraphim, a well-endowed vampire ninja assasin who becomes Ayumu's servant after he defeats her, and Ayumu's close friend Orito Tulio who believes himself to be the main character despite all evidence to the contrary.
I highly recommend watching this series, but you should be aware that the second season ends midway through a major arc and no third season has been announced. The first season can be enjoyed as a stand-alone story anyway.

Next up is The Vision of Escaflowne, a classic series in which a high-school girl is transported to a magical planet with giant robot armour. I was somewhat disappointed when I watched it because the giant robots weren't as important as the first few episodes suggested, but I'm sure it would be fine if you went in knowing it's really a love story. The series does have a few pretty good episodes though.

Casshern Sins is a post-apocalyptic story set several hundred years after the metaphysical source of the planet's life was slain by the robot assassin Casshern (pronounced Ca-shawn). Birth rates dropped, little grows, and most robots rust and crumble when damaged, preventing repairs. Now, Casshern himself has awakened with no memory of who he is or what he did.
I've watched the first half of the series, but I never got around to watching the second half. It wasn't a bad series, but the pace was slow and I just never got back to it.

The other series we will be watching are Genshiken Season Two, Eden of the East, and Bakemonogatari. I haven't seen any of these, so I won't comment on them now. The latter is apparently by the same creators as Katanagatari, so I'm expecting good things from it.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Shin Sekai Yori has been pretty amazing, especially with the latest episodes. It's kinda like if Margaret Atwood directed Akira ; not something I ever thought I'd say. The only glaring deficit is a lower animation budget, but it's plot and character driven so that doesn't detract much from it.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

rampaging wrote:... Bakemonogatari. I haven't seen any of these, so I won't comment on them now. The latter is apparently by the same creators as Katanagatari, so I'm expecting good things from it.
There aren't any real spoilers in this (arguably some, but they're super minor), but it's about Bakemonogatari and I'm going to spoiler it incase you'd rather go into without my opinion tainting the experience:
At its core, Bakemonogatari is about the witty banter, emotional interaction, and sexual tension between a relatively normal boy with relatively useless superpowers and a bunch of different women with supernatural problems (that he saves them from, with a combination of his relatively useless superpowers, good old-fashioned TRYHARD, and plot). That sounds like the description of your generic harem, but it is actually a fairly unique and well-told experience because Nisio Isin seems to have a knack for building interestingly non-conventional stories out of cliche elements. It helps that his fun, witty banter is actually fun and witty, and he writes emotional scenes very well instead of like his characters are retardedly dysfunctional/dysfunctional retards (which is surprisingly common, for some reason I will never understand).

I feel like Nisemonogatari has significantly less of the original's unique charm, and significantly more of the Harem For Hipsters feel, and so it disappoints me. I have not yet watched Nekomonogatari Black, and I don't know if I will. I am very much looking forward to the prequel film, Kizumonogatari.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Thanks, that's good to know. If I like it (or horribly dislike it), I'll post again in a couple months when we actually watch it. For now, it sounds like something I'd have watched myself if I'd heard of it.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Bakemonogatari is an oddity for me. Normally I don't like harem anime much but this one caught my attention for the outlandishness of the scenes (and possibly because I had seen katanagatari). Casshern Sins is worth the watch and vision of Escaflowne was ok.

I did not enjoy Kore wa Zombie myself though I've had friends recommend it.

Recently I've just started watching Rose Maiden and Macademy Wasshoi. Neither have impressed me yet but I haven't been driven to stop watching them.

I highly recommend My Wife is a Mermaid for anyone who hasn't seen it. It is hilarious.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I've been told Bakemonogatari is awesome, and that the cat is a master troll... who is known to spout Internet memes. Including "a cat is fine too".
MGuy wrote:Rose Maiden
I assume you mean Rozen Maiden, in which case...

DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Stahlseele wrote:/me does not approve of what they did to the lesbian stripper ninja in this one <.<
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ch-in-2013
I don't mind the body and clothing changes, but changing the hair? No. Just, no.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Meikle641 wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:/me does not approve of what they did to the lesbian stripper ninja in this one <.<
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ch-in-2013
I don't mind the body and clothing changes, but changing the hair? No. Just, no.
Then again, Motoko is a living brain inside the a spendable cyborg body. With GitS heavy on addressing identity themes, I'd not mind if Motoko was using a newer body and freaking out everybody used to her old appearance.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The hair is a big Problem, yes. And the Eyes are wrong too.
And the Face is different too.

She doesn't look like Motoko i know and like any more, that is my problem . . .
She looks more like something out of the Metropolis Anime x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Well, the style is more like the old movie, so it is familiar at least. I just don't care much for the style change. But yeah, Nockermensch does have a point.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I was about to say, as someone who's only seen the first movie, it's not that different.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

MGuy wrote: I highly recommend My Wife is a Mermaid for anyone who hasn't seen it. It is hilarious.
Started watching this one. The family interactions are crazily amusing, and it doesn't take itself so seriously. The mix of anime-comedy-cliches and elements that just kick them to the curb is fantastic.

Someone clearly studied the Rumiko Takahashi style of family dynamics, and tried to make them coherent and actually funny.
Koumei wrote:I got into Senran Kagura yesterday. The first two episodes have been subbed so far. The art is good quality, and it's both funny and cute. Oh, also, sexy.

It tried watching this, and forced myself to grit my teeth through the first episode. Its fairly trite, regardless of what the plot actually turns out to be. The panty shots and big floppy tits don't do much for me, and the horrible team kills my interest: the borderline incompetent main character, the ditz (with secret powers! no less) the prodigy (who only cares about the ditz), the lecher and the 'well-mannered' one.

Just too much thats been done before, and add in 'ninja battle space' so normals don't notice (even though they walk around ninja-ing and talking about ninja stuff openly and people don't notice anyway), and its just a bit too sub-par.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Voss: I'm shallow. I'm in it for the good art quality, pretty faces, panty shots and the boob-grabbing.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Koumei wrote:I was about to say, as someone who's only seen the first movie, it's not that different.
Well, you should try and watch GitS: Stand Alone Complex, and 2nd Gig. It's like Law and Order, if they were cyborg spies. Lots of T&A with the Major there, and she has the nice bob haircut then, too. Her outfits are generally rediculous, though.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Actually, I also got into the manga - amazing, ridiculously good quality. Full colour, it's just stunning. And full of fan service as it should be.

SAC is one of the things I've been meaning to get... but never got around to it.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

If it helps, SAC was condensed into a movie, as was season 2. All killer no filler, as it were. Pretty sure they're like 3 or 4 hours long, though. Still, shorter than a series.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Koumei wrote:Voss: I'm shallow. I'm in it for the good art quality, pretty faces, panty shots and the boob-grabbing.
It's fine. Though maybe it was the stream quality I found, but the art quality was overly dark and grainy.

I also though the character designs were a bit derivative. The main looked a lot like the girl from Battle Athletes and the lead from CLAMP's robot fighting thing (Angelic Layer). The only one I liked was the ditz... except for the weird pink first aid crosses in her eyes.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It sounds like the quality of the stream you watched.

And yeah, the pink crosses in the eyes are indeed weird.

Oh, and technically I was lying about panty shots. For some reason they're all wearing swimwear as underwear, so they'd be... bikini shots?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

You SHOULD watch the series for the Tachikomas at least.
And especially, the after episode Tachikoma Day shorts ^^

Massive Spoilers regarding the End of Seasons 1 and 2
I really hate that the Tachikomas get killed (yes, killed, not destroyed) in both Seasons <.<;,
In the first season, all but three get dismantled and experimented on as they show signs of evolving a conscious.
Only three remain whole. And these three get relegated to other things, like roadworks. In the end, when they find out that their old unit has been disbanded by force, they try to find and help them. And in the end sacrifice themselves against military grade opponents.
And the second Season Death of the Tachikomas is pretty sad too.
Even worse than Optimus' first death in the only Transformers Movie i am going to accept.
A Nuke gets launched and the Tachikoma send Sattelites from Orbit to ram the Missle before the Warhead gets armed to stop a catastrophe.
One of the Sattelites is the one that houses their conscious. Their Memories. Their "Ghosts". Basically, they group suicide knowingly into a Nuklear Bullet that would have meant a new War for at least Japan and thus millions of People. All the while singing a Childrens Song.
this is sadly only the dubbed version, and not the whole thing either, so it loses quite a bit of impact in my eyes, but if you watched the series and the tachikoma days, then this is still enough to make you sad
Season one end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n55hwhRlPXo
Season two end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UEkrUVmPIc
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

"This video contains content from Starz Media LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. " Well, fuck you too, Starz.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

what?
it works that way too? o.O
usually, it's me in germany having to deal with blocked stuff everybody else can see . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: