Magic Weapon Abilities

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

Magic Weapon Abilities

Post by Hicks »

Here are some magic weapons made in the style of Mister_Sinister that are compatible with the book of gears. These templates are added to a base magic weapon (i.e. one that only provides a level dependent enchantment bonus to attack and damage). The bolded number indicates the minimum number of hit dice you must possess to activate that ability. If the weapon entry mentions a save, then it is 10 + 1/2 the weapon holder's hit dice + the indicated ability modifier. All weapon abilities are treated as supernatural abilities unless specifically described as a SLA.

Aligned
"Back, foul Angel! Back to the heavens from whence you came!"
3 Any extraplaner creature struck by this weapon must make a willpower save based on your charisma or be banished. The holder of this weapon can end any banishment caused by the weapon with a one hour ritual. This weapon ignores any alignment based damage reduction.
8 As long as you hold this weapon, you radiate a magic circle vs. alignment, you may change the alignment the circle protects against as a swift action.
13 Any creature struck by this weapon must make a willpower save or be plane shifted to a plane of your choice. As long as you are holding this weapon, you may ignore any planer trait.
18 As a standard action, you may call any creature this weapon has banished as with a gate.

Caustic
"It's self cleaning!"
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, you may deal +1d6/enhancement bonus of acid damage. This extra acid damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
8 As a standard action, you may make a “acid wave” surge forth from this weapon. The acid wave is a 60' cone of acid; Anything within the acid wave's area takes 1d6 acid damage for each hit die you possess, or half that with a successful fortitude save based on your constitution. Creatures that fail their save against this effect are sickened for a number of rounds equal to the weapon's enchantment bonus, creatures already sickened are instead nauseated for 1 round.
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you are immune to acid damage.
18 As a standard action, you may cast storm of vengeance as an SLA, except all damage inflicted is acid damage and any save required is based on your constitution score.

Cursed
"I shall eat your soul!"
3 You can always find this weapon in you hand as a free action, regardless of where you left it. Once per day, it will completely reform and appear in your hand if destroyed. The only way to break you bond with this weapon is to be affected by a remove curse or break enchantment.
8 The weapon radiates a palpable aura of fear. Any creature struck must make a willpower save based on your charisma or be shaken for a number of rounds equal to the enchantment bonus of the weapon.
13 Any creature struck with this weapon must succeed a willpower save based on your charisma or have their soul sucked into the weapon. Without a soul, their body immediately falls over and dies.
18 As long as you hold this weapon, with a swift action a single soul within the weapon may be burned, adding 1d6/CR of the burned soul to any single damage roll the weapon makes, this extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit; eaten, causing you to be affected by a heal spell with a caster level equal to the CR of the soul; or released into the custody of anyone or no one. Burned souls can't be burned again or eaten, and are only released if the cursed weapon is destroyed, while eaten souls are only released if the eater dies.

Defending
"Would you move that out of my way, please?"
"No."
3 As long as you hold this weapon, this weapon supplies a shield bonus of 4, to which its enchantment bonus is also added.
8 As long as you hold this weapon, you are considered to have cover, which provides a bonus of +4 to AC, +2 to reflex saves, and prevents you from provoking Attacks of Opportunity.
13 As long as you hold this weapon, you have Spell resistance of 10 + your hit dice. You may raise or lower your spell resistance as a free action.
18 As long as you hold this weapon, any spell that is blocked by your spell resistance instead affects the caster of the resisted spell as if you had casted it.

Dispelling
“I have the POWER!”
“Not anymore.”
3 Any creature struck with this weapon must make a willpower save based on your constitution. Failing the save subjects them to a targeted greater dispel magic, with a caster level equal to the wielder’s hit dice. Unattended objects and spell effects not on a creature (such as an acid fog, wall of force, or a magical trap) receive no save against this effect.
8 Any spell dispelled by this weapon may be stored inside it and cast later by the holder of the weapon (the caster level of any spell cast from the weapon is equal to the holder’s Hit Dice). The weapon may store a maximum number of spells equal to its enchantment bonus.
13 This weapon ignores enchantment and deflection bonuses to Armor Class.
18 If you want, creatures who fail their willpower save against this weapon’s greater dispel magic effect, unattended objects, and spell effects not on a creature are instead disjoined, as by the mordenkainen’s disjunction spell.

Flaming
"Its got the hots for you."
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, you may deal +1d6/enhancement bonus of fire damage. This extra fire damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
8 As an standard action, you may make an “inferno” spring forth from this weapon. The inferno is a 60' Cone-shaped burst. Anything within the inferno's area takes 1d6 fire damage for each hit die you possess, or half that with a successful reflex save based on your constitution. Creatures or objects who fail their saves are set on fire; on their initiative they must make a reflex save or take the weapons bonus fire damage until they successfully save against this effect.
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you are immune to fire damage
18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast meteor swarm as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your constitution.

Frost
"All I know is that it keeps the beers cold."
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, you may deal +1d6/enhancement bonus of cold damage. This extra cold damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
8 As a standard action, you may make a “blizzard” spring forth from this weapon. The blizzard is a 60' cone-shaped burst. Anything within the blizzard's area takes 1d6 cold damage for each hit die you possess, or half that with a successful reflex save based on your constitution. Creatures who fail their save are also exhausted for 1 round and fatigued for a number of rounds equal to the enchantment bonus of the weapon, while liquids are instead frozen solid for the duration of this effect.
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you are immune to cold damage.
18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast iceberg as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your constitution.

Ghostbuster
"Who ya gonna call?"
3 This weapon counts as corporal or incorporeal, whenever is most beneficial at the time.
8 Any undead creature struck with this weapon must make a willpower save based on your charisma or be destroyed.
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may ethereal jaunt at will.
18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may make a single astral projection as a full round action. Your astral projection is formed with all your equipment as normal, except this weapon. The weapon may only have one astral projection active at any time. Successfully dispelling the weapon ends the spell.

Luminous*
"With fingernails that shine like justice."
3 As long as you hold this weapon, it will radiate a constant daylight spell. The save for this effect is based on your charisma. The light shed is so bright that anybody visually targeting you suffers a 20% miss chance, and triggers any creature's vunrability to sunlight.
8 As a standard action, you may allow a brilliant “flare” to explode from this weapon. The flare is a 120' line of incandescent light; Anything within the flare's area takes 1d6 light damage for each hit die you possess, or half that with a successful fortitude save based on your charisma. Creatures that fail their save against this effect are dazed for 1 round and blinded for a number of rounds equal to the enchantment bonus of the weapon.
13 Any creature you strike suffers the effects of a prismatic spray spell. The save for this effect is based on your charisma.
18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast prismatic sphere as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your Charisma.

Merciful
"Don't worry, I'll hurt you in the best way possible!"
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, you may deal +1d6/enhancement bonus of additional damage. Doing so makes all damage dealt by this weapon Nonlethal
8 Instead of dealing nonlethal damage with this weapon, you may elect to deal a number of points of positive energy equal to the nonlethal damage you would have done. This either heals or damages the struck creature, depending on whether or not they are healed or damaged by positive energy.
13 Any creature struck must succeed a will save based on your charisma or fall under the effects of a sequester spell, with a caster level equal to your hit dice. The holder of this weapon can end any sequesterment caused by the weapon with a one hour ritual.
18 Any creature sequestered by this weapon is also imprisoned. You may plane shift directly adjacent to the spot of any creature the weapon has imprisoned. The holder of this weapon can end any imprisonment caused by the weapon with a one hour ritual.

Shock
"Do you know what happens to a toad when struck by lightning?"
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, you may deal +1d6/enhancement bonus of lightning damage. This extra lightning damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
8 As a standard action, you may make a “lightning bolt” spring forth from this weapon. The lightning bolt is a 120' line of electricity; Anything within the lightning bolt's area takes 1d6 electricity damage for each hit die you possess, or half that with a successful reflex save based on your constitution. Creatures that fail their save against this effect are stunned for 1 round
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you are immune to electricity damage.
18 As a move action, as long as you are holding this weapon you may turn into a bolt of lightning, effectively causing you to instantly greater teleport to any point within line of sight. Every creature in a line from your starting point to your ending point takes 2d6/level in electricity damage with a reflex save based on your constitution for half damage. Creatures that fail their reflex save are also stunned for 1 round

Speed
"Zoom-Zoom!"
3 As part of your attack routine, you may make a single additional "speed" attack at your full BAB with this weapon.
8 As long as you hold the weapon, you gain a +10’ enchantment to speed/bonus it gives
13 You move so fast that enemies trying to hit you suffer a 50% miss chance
18 As long as you hold the weapon you may cast time stop as a SLA 1/minute.

Thundering
"BOOM!"
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, you may deal +1d6/enhancement bonus of sonic damage. This extra sonic damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
8 As a standard action, you may make a deafening “thunderclap” radiate from this weapon. The thunderclap is a 20' radius spherical spread centered on you. Anything within the thunderclap's area except you takes 1d6 sonic damage for each hit die you possess, or half that with a successful fortitude save based on your constitution. Creatures that fail their save against this effect are dazed for 1 round and deafened for a number of rounds equal to the enchantment bonus of the weapon.
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you are immune to sonic damage.
18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast greater whirlwind as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your constitution.

Toxic
"Instead, it makes a wound nasty."
3 Any creature struck with this weapon must make a fortitude save based on your constitution score or be sickened for a number of rounds equal to the enchantment bonus of the weapon; creatures that are already sickened are instead nauseated for 1 round. This is a poison effect.
8 As long as you hold this weapon, you are immune to poison.
13 As long as you hold this weapon, you may cast cloud kill as a SLA at will.
18 As a standard action, you may present this weapon for all to see; any creature with line of sight to the weapon must make a fortitude save based on your constitution score or be poisoned (initial 2d6 constitution / secondary 2d6 constitution).

Vorpal
“Snicker-snack!”
3 This weapon ignores hardness, material damage reduction, and cover bonuses
8 This weapon cuts through all forms of flesh and armor, and resolves every attack as a touch attack.
13 Any creature struck with this weapon must make a fortitude save based on your Constitution or die.
18 As a standard action, you may cut a tear in reality and open a gate (travel version) to wherever you want.

*Origional idea by: Violence in the Media

Edit June 26, 2011: energy abilities nerfed to standard action activation and 1d6 damage per HD. Clarified Ghostbuster weapons.
Last edited by Hicks on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:18 am, edited 44 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Aligned 3 should go against Extraplanars, not Outsiders. Also, it would be cooler if the Banishment effect could be rescinded by anyone with the weapon, not the original banisher. That way you can have plots like "Sneak up, grab his sword, and use it to summon that demon he banished." Finally, it's not exactly good for an Aligned weapon; it doesn't penetrate aligned damage reduction, for one. Banishing or Planar might be better names for it.

What happens to Burned and Eaten souls (Cursed weapon)? There aren't any effects I can think of off the top of my head to permanently destroy souls in Tome (there are in the BoVD, but that's superceded by the Tome of Fiends); Eaten souls in the Tome of Fiends are released when you die. Also, a proper Cursed weapon should have some drawback to the user (Damages you to damage them, maybe), and you shouldn't be able to get rid of it; having a Cursed melee weapon means every melee weapon you go for is replaced with your Cursed weapon.

Vorpal's an interesting take; classically, though, Vorpal weapons have been anti-flesh, not anti-objects and armor.

Defending's bonus should probably be classed as Shield, not Armor.

Flaming needs a range on Inferno's cone. For Frost, cones tend to be a lot shorter than medium range; hasted at level 11, you can essentially make this a burst that covers the entire battlefield except you (if you don't mean that, the word is "Standard Action"). A Cone to Close range, or a fixed distance (60', say) would work, though. Also, what modifiers apply to this damage? All of them, including the bonus dice? If you mean that, you should probably say something like "take full damage as if hit with this weapon."

Ghostbuster smites undead too easily, since Fort is usually their weak save, and there aren't many counters available at 3rd level.

Thundering has a similar problem to Flaming and Frost: close range is huge for a sphere; at that level it's 65 feet.

Shock's pretty much fine, although it's 13 Disintegrate breaks the pattern of just giving immunity, which is good enough on its own.

Speed looks good.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Glad someone took up my ideas and made them better.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

You've got lightning damage in your frost weapon, btw.

Otherwise, I'd say I like what you've done so far.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Aligned was always supposed to pierce alignment DR, oopsie! Changed "Outsider" to "Extraplaner". Added the ability to end any banishment the sword made.

Cursed weapons were practically stolen out of the book of gears. Also, cursed weapons don't need to have a downside other than you can't get rid of them, a la Kratos. Explaned what happens to souls.

Defending's bonus changed to shield.

Fixed "Blizzard" damage type. The elemental weapons have huge areas. This was intentional. And yes, I want a hasted fire/frost weapon at level 11 to hit the entire field, just like I want the 8 sonic weapon to hit most of the field.

Ghost buster's save is moved to willpower.

Dropped disentegrate, increased the 18 ability to 2d6/level.

Does speed 3 read properly? I meant for it to do thus: a 16th level fighter can make 4 attacks with his primary hand. If he makes an attack of oppertunity or charges, he makes 2 (1 primary, +1 speed) attacks. If he full attacks, he has 5 (4 primary, +1 speed) attacks.

Thanks for the imput, more if I get inspired.
Last edited by Hicks on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Is the merciful's healing ability a positive energy effect? I.E. would it harm undead? I could see a merciful ghostbusting club that heals living creatures and kicks the shit out of undead...
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Good Idea! Consider it stolen.

I reconsidered The Huge Areas, and changed them to 60' cones, 20' eminations, and 120' lines.
Last edited by Hicks on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

what magnitude of qualities are these? minor? major? what?

and when is there going to be a price workout for magic items?

If one is still needed, I generally rule that weapons(and armour) that just give bonuses cost the same as a +1 item as written in the DMG. Don't know about qualities though.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

There is no magnitude, only ZUUL! Seriously, just slap one or all of them on any magic weapon, as they dole out "supposibly" level appropriate abilities.

There should not be a fixed price on any of these templates. You can just wander out into the hills, kill a dragon, and use it's tooth to sacrifice 10,000 cattle on the top of the tallest mountain, which beckons the the god of storms to strike your blood dreached and heaven streatched arm with a thunder bolt, and imbues the molar you hold with whatever template you please.

Qualities take time to imbue, as time is the only finite resource available to an advanturer on an adventure. And it takes however long the DM decides it should be. Ostensibly, this time can be reduced by paying other people to do the work such as herding the cows up a mountain, or building the sacrificial altar, carving the runes into your soon to be "Bicuspid of Win", or even standing there with the bloody tooth held skyward to be hit by a bolt of incandecent pain.

But yeah, those shitty +[bonus] items sell for 1,000 gold in my magic shops.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Just trying my hand at this:

Luminous
3 Whenever you deal damage with this weapon, the target must make a Fort save or become dazzled. The save DC is based on your Charisma. Additionally, this weapon is under a constant Light effect. You may use the weapon to turn or rebuke undead as a Paladin equal to your level. If you already possess the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain a +4 bonus to your turning check and turning damage results.
8 The dazzling effect upgrades to blindness. The save DC remains based on your Charisma. The light effect upgrades to Daylight. As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast Searing Light as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your Charisma.
13 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast Sunbeam as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your Charisma.
18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast Sunburst as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your Charisma.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Ok, I've given it some thought. How about this?
  • Luminous
    3 As long as you hold this weapon, it will radiate a constant daylight spell. The save for this effect is based on your charisma. The light shed is so bright that anybody visually targeting you suffers a 20% miss chance, and triggers any creature's vunrability to sunlight.
    8 As an attack action, you may allow a brilliant “flare” to explode from this weapon. The flare is a 120' line of incandescent light; Anything within the flare's area takes your rolled damage for the weapon (just like if you had rolled a successful hit, but excluding power attack because there is no attack roll to modify) in light damage, or half that with a successful fortitude save based on your charisma. Creatures that fail their save against this effect are nauseated for 1 round and blinded for a number of rounds equal to the enchantment bonus of the weapon.
    13 Any creature you strike suffers the effects of a prismatic spray spell. The save for this effect is based on your charisma.
    18 As long as you are holding this weapon, you may cast prismatic sphere as an SLA at will. The save for this effect is based on your Charisma.
Last edited by Hicks on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Whatever works for you, it's your thread. :)
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Added "Dispelling"
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Added "Caustic" and "Toxic".
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Cursed - Eating souls seems much better than burning them. If that's by design, then fine - otherwise burning should do more damage.
Edit: Actually, that's the 18 ability, so it's competing with Gate and Prismatic Sphere - it should do at least 1d6/CR. I'm assuming you can only burn one soul at once though, which should probably be the case.

Speed - Does the extra attack stack with Haste and similar effects?

Luminous - As far as magnitude of the effect, Nauseated seems fine. But as far as which creatures are immune, and what it interacts with, Dazed seems more appropriate.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

cursed: 1d6/CR is good and doable, but as is the bonus damage is multiplied by critical hits. Still want to change it? Yeah, I'll do that.

speed: Yes, you get a single additional attack whenever you would have an attack sequence.
  • e.g. a hasted 12th level fighter with Two Weapon Fighting and a Speed weapon in their primary hand Full Attacks; he attacks three times with their primary hand, three times with their off hand, once with their primary hand for haste, and once again for speed; any time that fighter makes an AoO, he strikes once with either his primary or secondary hand and may make one additional attack with their Speed weapon in their primary hand).
luminous: good idea, but before I change it to Daze is the Blindness for 3-7 rounds too hardcore? I'm tempted to make it Dazzled for weapon enchantment bonus rounds or blind 1 round if already dazzled.
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Thread necromancy!

A lot of these are really neat. I'd like to adopt them for use in my own games and, if it's okay with you, put them on the wiki.

A few concerns did jump out at me though:
* The disruption-equivalent on Ghostbuster comes too early, imo.
* Speed giving a permanent 50% non-bypassable miss chance is pretty nuts.
* Toxic's final ability is a bit "meh", imo. I'm not sure if it's a reference I'm not getting.
* Vorpal is just nuts. Permanent wraithstrike is pretty crazy, man. Also Str is probably the easiest stat to cheese, so I'd be a lot more comfortable with a Con-based save.
Last edited by Surgo on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Ghostbuster was always weird in that it inflicted negative levels, so I removed that ability and bumped the disruption up to level 8.

Speed is pretty hard core, but the miss chance comes online at level 13 where everyone else has either an immunity or death effect. I think it's fine.

Toxic is pulling a reverse Moses. Do you know why medicine is represented by a snake on a pole? In Exodus, the Israelites were beset by a deadly illness; God commanded Moses to fashion a snake and put it on a pole and all who looked on it were healed. A toxic weapon can kill a lot of peoole, and even PCs don't screw around with constitution ability damage, and everyone who closed their eyes to avoid the effect instead suffers a 50% miss chance.

Vorpal is a little nuts, but at 8th level you could just get a cohort/hireling/wand to cast wraithstrike on you every combat. You're right about the save vs. death though; I changed it to be based off of constitution.

By all means, please use these in your game and put them on the wiki; I would be honored.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Cool for Ghostbuster.

For Speed -- the part I have trouble with is that the other immunities tend to be pretty situational. You can go for a while and never see a fire attack, but you're pretty much guaranteed to see attack rolls a lot of the time.

Okay, I get Toxic now.

With Vorpal -- I feel like if you wanted to go that route, you actually should spend the feat for just that, and take the occasional crowd-control problems that let it not be up all the time. Perma wraithstrike is nuts, man.
Last edited by Surgo on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

I'd think you only want to give out scaling magic weapons quite sparingly. Part of the fun of D&D is constantly finding new and better loot, and having a weapon that constantly improves with you seems like it could destroy some of that. I can imagine that finding a weapon at level 4 and knowing you will never find anything better could be a bit of a drag.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Your right, not every weapon needs to scale. But scaling weapons do help tell some stories like Inuyasha and Items Imbued with awesomeness that unlock for the awesome, and also represent a more skilled user having a greater mastery of the weapon.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I imagine I'd probably throw one of the elemental themed ones down for some boss monster that the PCs get to gank, then they have a sweet weapon.

What I like most about these is they make the elemental enhancements useful, so you don't feel like you need to replace them with something from the moderate or major list and no longer have a sword that's on fire. Instead, you can have a sword that's on fire and be good for most of your career. I'm not as much of a fan of the ones like vorpal or defending, barring previously-mentioned problems those are kind of "boring".

I think if I was to use them in a game, the items themselves wouldn't necessarily have to scale. When you picked up a moderate or major fire weapon, it would let you throw down a fire cone in addition to being on fire. A minor weapon would just be on fire. In that way they'd more resemble "Flaming, moderate" and "Flaming, greater".
Last edited by Surgo on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Mmhmm.

I like the instant-retrieval function of cursed. That's pretty flavorful, and lends itself to PCs going, "Well, I'm stuck with an evil sword. On the plus side, I can have a sword in my hand at any time. So there's that."
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!