Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Rather the point, ylm.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

...You Lost Me wrote:That just looks like a penis...
Tenser's Floating Dick?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Are there any decent tips on making an ideal mounted character, assuming the leader is in fact the mount and the rider is a cohort/minion?

The idea is making villain who is a Nightmare dread necromancer/fiend blooded (yeah, it's humanoid only, bite me I'm doing it anyway), with a series of expendable riders. So multiple builds/concepts would work.

And let's face it, this could work for wargs (who are the real tops in the goblin/warg relationship) and dragons too.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

"Sometimes you ride the warg, sometimes the warg rides you."
~ Ancient Goblin philosophical musing on the abject crappiness that is life
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Why not use Leadership?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Because an NPC doesn't need to take it. And it doesn't answer the question.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Right, no, I mean as the mount. Take leadership, your cohort is your rider. Ah, and now I see what the real question is. Dragon #304 has rules for intelligent mounts, though I'm not sure how useful it would be, it's a good starting place.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Closer, but I think I am still not communicating well. Other than having a cohort with levels of bard and marshal, what are good things to make your cohort do to make you more awesome?

Examples:

A white raven warblade.

A spellstitched dethlock cleric

A mounted dwarf defender with some way to shield other.

Stuff like that.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Once upon a time I played a goblin warg rider. Both the goblin and the warg had levels of devoted defender and the goblin had mounted combat. That way they could deflect or just flat out soak up hits for each other.

Game On,
fbmf
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

@ Count,

Have a 3.5 paladin be at least 10th level, read the special mount rules in the back of the DMG, laugh when you realize that it is the only ability in the game that works off of Challenge Rating instead of Hit Dice. A paladin's special mount may be a creature with a CR 2 less than the paladin it belongs to, and a flying creature is 3 CR less, but a large gold dragon special mount is CR 7 (a CR of 3 less than a 10th level paladin), has 11d12 dragon hit dice and 2d8 more and a grab bag other abilities because this dragon is a paladin special mount. Be a (replacable) large gold dragon for 20 hours every day, and when the paladin levels up you get to be a bigger dragon with more hit dice. Have the paladin take levels in cavalier and warblade anything else that advances the paladin's special mount ability, and pick up some magic crowns with the white raven maneuvers in the back of the book of 9 swords, go nuts.

Although the dragon special mount is nominally CR 7, dragons are [awesome] and hit like a CR 11 freight train of delicious cake, to which special mount abilities (bonus HD, STR, NA, Abilities!) are frosted on.
Last edited by Hicks on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Take a look at the the Symbionts in FF and ECS. Especially look at their Share Spells ability.
Have your cohort polymorph into one or do it yourself (or have the cohort be an actual symbiont Ur-Priest or something) and use Assume Supernatural Ability to get Share Spells and use it to make your cohort Persistent buff you.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Aranea are magical shape changing spiders, with greater than average intelligence, who speak sylvan by default, and cast as 3rd level sorcerers.

How the fuck are they Magical Beasts and not Fae?

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Anti-spider bias.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Darth Rabbitt wrote: Probably something like this.
I find the creepiest part of that picture is how the snake seems to be looking over its 'shoulder' and holding a tentacle to its mouth. No, coquettish snake! Bad!
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I've misplaced my Fiendish Codices. Does anyone have FCI on them, and if so, could you tell me the CR of the Barlgura (tusked orangutang)?

Also, any particular "fuck you" abilities they might have would be appreciated.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

CR 5, they have Invisibility and Major Image as a spell-like twice a day, and their Abduction ability allows them to grab someone and greater teleport them away if the target fails a Will save of DC 18.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Meikle641 wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote: Probably something like this.
I find the creepiest part of that picture is how the snake seems to be looking over its 'shoulder' and holding a tentacle to its mouth. No, coquettish snake! Bad!
All Lovecraftian monsters should know to not act coy when there's tentacle rape mindfucking cosmic horrors to be had.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

How does "drop one" affect dice probabilities? Like "roll 4d6, drop the lowest" or D&D Next's "Roll 2d20, take the lower/higher"? I know iterative probabilities and dice averages, but this throws me.

Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

Prak_Anima wrote:How does "drop one" affect dice probabilities? Like "roll 4d6, drop the lowest" or D&D Next's "Roll 2d20, take the lower/higher"? I know iterative probabilities and dice averages, but this throws me.
Dropping the lowest N dice will shrink the standard deviation because the results cluster together more and will increase the mean because you're removing the lowest results. For those two specifically, going from 1d20 to 2d20-drop-lower increases the mean from 10.5 to ~13.8 and decreases the standard deviation from ~5.7 to ~4.7, and going from 3d6 to 4d6-drop-lowest increases the mean from 10.5 to ~12 and decreases the standard deviation from ~2.9 to ~2.8.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok... slightly more detail for people who stopped at Algebra 2 and did just enough to slide by in high school?

Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

The roll will be between 10 and 14 about 68% of the time you roll, and be between 7-18 about 95% of the time if you roll 4d6, drop the lowest.

That's opposed to 7-13 about 68% of the time, and 4-17 98% of the time with 3d6.

Note that in 3d6, rolling a single 18 was defined as a statistical anomaly and just didn't happen, while in 4d6 drop lowest you could expect to see it at a statistically significant (but still very low) rate.

I'm sure that's oversimplified and someone can give better numbers than that, but it should be easy enough to understand if you don't know stats.
Last edited by Ted the Flayer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

There's a free MatLab interpreter called Octave here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

grab it, script up a die roller, and simulate. Run 10k or so trials, and you'll have a good distribution. If you've used C or java before, it should take ~ 30 min for the first one, 5 min for every other.

As a side benefit, you'll know MatLab well enough to fumble through it afterwards (though, I find MatLab finnickier than Octave, TBH).

Monte Carlo FTW.
Last edited by fectin on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, let me phrase it this way.

How do I determine the probability, or at least the average, of a "XdY, drop lowest" roll? While I'm sure I could find someone here willing to tell me the probability or average, or whatever, if I posted and waited long enough, I'd like to have some self-sufficiency here.

Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ok, let me phrase it this way.

How do I determine the probability, or at least the average, of a "XdY, drop lowest" roll? While I'm sure I could find someone here willing to tell me the probability or average, or whatever, if I posted and waited long enough, I'd like to have some self-sufficiency here.
The long and involved way to get the average is to enumerate the possible results of the roll, sum each [result]*[frequency of result] pair, and divide by the total number of results. For instance, when rolling 2d6, you can get the numbers from 2 to 12, and there are 6*6 possible results:
2: 1 way (1,1)
3: 2 ways (1,2 and 2,1)
4: 3 ways
5: 4 ways
6: 5 ways
7: 6 ways
8: 5 ways
9: 4 ways
10: 3 ways
11: 2 ways
12: 1 way
Sum up 2*1 + 3*2 + 4*3 + ... + 11*2 + 12*1 to get 252, divide by the number of results (36) to get the average of 7.

The easy way to do it is to use something to calculate it for you. Octave will do it via random trials, I've written a Python script to calculate it exactly if you want a copy of that, and if you just want a quick visual to get a basic sense of a given expression there's Anydice.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Yeh, you've got to count them, I think. There should be a general solution, but I doubt it's easier to use than programming a count loop, or whipping up something in a spreadsheet (which is my usual method).

That anydice link works fine though. http://anydice.com/program/115 for best 3 of 4d6.

Add multiple outputs to put your graphs on the same sheet there. Try my little favourite 1d10+5 and 3d6 on the "at most" tab for a little beware the illusion of curves. http://anydice.com/program/1e77
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.