[IC]Back to Basics

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Atani, who's face now has a thin sheen of sweat, turns to Gilles and smiles "Rather the opposite of the point isn't it?" he says with another heave.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Xaxus really doesn't have anything to chime in about this new room. There is no treasure, but also no danger. "Hey, guys. This room would probably make a good fall-back point while we are exploring this tomb We should be thankful to have a spot where nothing is trying to kill us, aside from Atani's meteor hammer."
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Gilles can see nothing of the eastern room in his infravision; everything seems to be about the same temperature.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Draw swords, chop aside the drapes and investigate the room with the gold glimmer.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard uses his grappling hook to part the curtains at a distance, just in case they're seeped in poison or have a horrible gold-golem right behind them.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The eastern room is a square, fifteen feet on a side, shaped like a small temple or shrine - fluted pillars of white marble grace the walls, leading up to an arched roof, and in the center of the room lies a great marble sarcophagus, on the top of which is carved the image of a shieldmaiden, her great sword grasped in her hands, it's point ending at her feet. Lying atop the woman, unmoving, it's great tail spilling out onto the floor, is a tremendous serpent with gold and black scales and unblinking eyes like amber.

There is an inscription written on the sarcophagus, but it is too covered with dust to read.
Last edited by Ancient History on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas enters the eastern room and greets the snake. "Hello!"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Dust shakes from the serpent, though it seems hardly to move.

Greetings, little one.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

"I'm Lucas Earth-Worker. We're here to rescue the treasure."

He looks around, "Where is it, anyway? We need it to save the kingdom."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I am Surak, the Elder Serpent. I am here to guard the holy blade Fire-of-the-Sun, until one who is worthy comes to claim it and rid the world of evil once more. There is no gold or silver here; you must search farther in the dungeon.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

"Thank you, I'll do that. May the forces of good be with you."

Lucas goes back to the altar room, and points to the western door. "Is that door safe to open, or do you want to smash it too?"
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"Oh ill smash it. But if there's nothing good that way I'm coming back for that snake"

Atani will then smash the western door
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard makes an ancient history check on Surak's words and the tomb, and will use any knowledge gained to better address Surak.
Ancient History wrote:I am Surak, the Elder Serpent. I am here to guard the holy blade Fire-of-the-Sun, until one who is worthy comes to claim it and rid the world of evil once more. There is no gold or silver here; you must search farther in the dungeon.
"Excuse me... Sir (or Madam) Surak Elder Serpent, but would you happen to know what that three eyed skeleton statue holding the black bowl in one hand and with palm out in the other is, or why plaster was put over these aquatic themed murals? I've also seen that skulls have been chiseled into the murals of mermaids and tritons."

Flintbeard also asks if there's any other dangers we should be wary of while delving deeper into this dungeon.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If Gilles could hear the serpent talking, he will give it a wide berth (since he doubts a servant of Good would like a servant of Blibdoolpoolp.) If he couldn't hear, Gilles will ask Lucas, "What's the deal with the snake?" but will still avoid moving further into the dungeon until Atani takes care of the west door.

Regardless, Gilles smiles eagerly, since he enjoys Atani's method of taking care of trapped doors. He states the obvious and remarks, "Crude but effective." Smashing things reminds Gilles of the eventual destruction of civilization that Blibdoolpoolp promises, and therefore bolsters his faith.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Dorgan is torn between his mistrust of magic and his natural curiosity. He will observe the scene, but first he'll make an Appraisal check on the statue to see if it's worth anything.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

OgreBattle wrote:Flintbeard makes an ancient history check on Surak's words and the tomb, and will use any knowledge gained to better address Surak.
Ancient History wrote:I am Surak, the Elder Serpent. I am here to guard the holy blade Fire-of-the-Sun, until one who is worthy comes to claim it and rid the world of evil once more. There is no gold or silver here; you must search farther in the dungeon.
Flintbeard recalls tales of a holy sword known as Sunfire, but it disappeared a thousand years ago and is considered little more than a legend.
"Excuse me... Sir (or Madam) Surak Elder Serpent, but would you happen to know what that three eyed skeleton statue holding the black bowl in one hand and with palm out in the other is, or why plaster was put over these aquatic themed murals? I've also seen that skulls have been chiseled into the murals of mermaids and tritons."
This place has not always served the same purpose. Once, it was a shrine to the Sea Mother, before its evil was cleansed by Fire-of-the-Sun. Then it was reclaimed as a tomb. They feared her power, and sought to hide her, but time has undone their work. Now, a new evil has entered this place. It cranes it's neck forward a foot or so. I have never seen that statue before in my life. Looks evil.
Flintbeard also asks if there's any other dangers we should be wary of while delving deeper into this dungeon.
Probably. Evil sets its roots deep...and these mortuary cults! I tell you, it is different with snakes. None of this fancy tomb business. Back to the elements.
He will observe the scene, but first he'll make an Appraisal check on the statue to see if it's worth anything.
A fine example of pre-Empire statuary, subject unknown, age unknown, sculptor unknown. Probably bring at least five thousand gold pieces at auction.
Atani will then smash the western door
The iron ball and chain smash into the rotten wood - and hit a strange metal bar set into the door. An ancient mechanism creaks, and plaster explodes from the ceiling as a huge, sharpened (now rusty) pendulum swings down on a counterweight, neatly sheering the the chain in half.

Atani looks at the length of chain in his hand and realizes if it had been much shorter, that could have been him...
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gilles decides that he doesn't like the sound of this Fire-of-the-Sun, or at least the use the sword has been put to in the past. Still, the information gathered about the tomb's importance to the Sea Mother is invaluable, and so Gilles can't help but continue smiling. Anyways, the other party members probably won't use the sword against Blibdoolpoolp.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard thanks Surak for his knowledge.

Flintbeard offers the use of his rope to tie Atani's iron ball to so he can continue swinging it about if needed.

Flintbeard de-plasters the room with the 3 eyed statue to see more of the mural , hoping to get some clues on the layout of the structure while everyone else decides what to do, maybe Gilles can recognize something about it.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Flintbeard uses his weapon to knock the wet, rotten plaster off the wall, revealing what is left of the mural...it reading it from left to right around the room, it seems to show creatures like sea-elves, but swimming with sharks, driven out of the sea and intermarrying with dark-skinned elves. On land they seem to continue their strange rites, which involve the drowning of infants...
Any character fluent in Elf can read runes; the story is mostly the same, but the sea-born elves are not sacrificing children, they are testing newborns by placing them in seawater to see if they are blessed by the Sea Mother.
...the murals show nothing of the temple or its environs, but all the noise has attracted a cowled figure, who strides through the broken remnants of the western door!
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard backs up toward the Eastern door with Surak in it (but doesn't enter) and observes the figure.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gilles keeps an eye on the hooded figure, but doesn't say or do anything yet.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Atani, being the closest, will step back and draw blades. He will say "Halt" as a brief but firm command in common then elven nearly simultaneously.

In common "Put your hands out as a sign of peace or we will kill you." then the same in elven.

While speaking keep an eye towards the serpents direction. If the serpent is moving towards any party member while we are looking at this man shout a warning and attack the man.

If the man appears to cast a spell attack him immediately.

If the figure places his hands out as requested or remains still ask him the following:
Who are you
Why are you in this tomb
Why have you come into this room
What do you know of this Serpent
What do you know of this Tomb
Last edited by Dean on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The stranger says nothing, but breaks into a sprint aimed at the nearest person - Atani. The cowled stranger casts their arms wide, exposing a bare, flesh-stricken skull and claw-like hands which tear at Atani's face (-2 hp), as the creature howls and moans.

Surak lifts his head a little to get a good look at the battle.
*tch* You call that undead? In my day we had proper undead. Ghouls, ghasts, all that kind of thing.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard charges in with axe n shield
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Atani attacks back. He also shouts "I have his attention, close to melee dont fire at me!"

Atani has his normal 5/2 attack pattern, if that was a legit charge he might have a boost to hit