Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

It's just like there's the sensation that there's more violent crime now as opposed to decades ago. That's not really the case, it's just reported or commented on more.
K
King

Post by K »

FrankTrollman wrote:Frankly, if you didn't laugh your ass off through Handsome Ransom (Venture Brothers 4x02), I don't know what to say to you. They had the voice of Animated Batman as Captain Sunshine. Comedy fucking gold.

-Username17
Basically, it's an entire episode dedicated to explaining a one-liner from when the Monarch was in prison, and its a 22-minute long series of pedo jokes.

Basically an exemplification of why the series blows now.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Frankly, if you didn't laugh your ass off through Handsome Ransom (Venture Brothers 4x02), I don't know what to say to you. They had the voice of Animated Batman as Captain Sunshine. Comedy fucking gold.

-Username17
Basically, it's an entire episode dedicated to explaining a one-liner from when the Monarch was in prison, and its a 22-minute long series of pedo jokes.

Basically an exemplification of why the series blows now.
It has a lot of pedo jokes, but it's actually mostly Batman jokes. And they got the voice of Batman to do it. When he showed up in his civilian ID and Venture was like "Shit, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we're gonna be on the news!" that was I think the funniest thing I have ever seen on television.

Everyone knows that he's Captain Sunshine, but secretly he's Chuck Scarsdale, news reporter. And with that hidden power he can scare the pants off of all the main characters. Giant pennies. Constantly comparing him unfavorably to Batman. That episode was amazing. Asking a character played by Kevin Conroy why he couldn't be as awesome as Batman was genius.

-Username17
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I got one.

The new doctor who.

Its mostly fine if only barely.

But three things lost me in various ways.

1) Everyone said that they thought the statues episode was totally cool and I thought it was gimmicky trashy and ineffective horror of the worst sort.

2) That entire season where basically every other monster was a body stealing misunderstood refuge magic space spirit that the doctor was so regretful about being forced to kill.

3) Kylie Minogue

And the last one really rather annoyed me.

Not because I dislike Kylie. She's pretty cool, landing her as even a temp doctor who assistant was pretty cool.

But they called her character Astrid.

After their lame ass "bad wolf" and similar themes that looked like a rather obvious hook, especially in an episode that started with weird "impossible" TARDIS malfunctions.

Then they disintegrated her and scattered her on the winds of space and time at the end. And I was like, huh, going nowhere with that then.

And here we are, how long after that? With how many lame specials many of which were largely disconnected and crap (like the waters of mars or that bus in the desert one I can't even name) ?

And they STILL haven't decided to pick up that glaring hook.

I found that one to be a let down.

PS
They landed Timothy Dalton to play a time lord for like one and a bit episodes and they get some kid to be the new doctor?

You KNOW Timothy Dalton would totally have gone for the role, and he is just damn well old enough to manage it right, especially after that bloody last guy.

Damnit.

Timothy Dalton as Dr Who with Kylie Minogue as his side kick Astrid the anagram.

But no, lets just forget the Astrid business and get some teenager to play a role made famous by gray haired old coots.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sir Neil wrote:The radio was playing a song by David Guetta that features Akon musing about "tryin' to find the words to describe this girl without bein' disrespectful". Sadly, the best he could do was "sexy bitch". It's a shame, because the way he sang right before the chorus was very pretty, enough to prompt me to look up the lyrics.
That... that was the best he could come up with?

wow... I use more respectful language than that when I think I'm being disrespectful... but I guess that's the difference between being a shitty rapper and an educated person...
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Yes, yes it is. Sadder, perhaps, when you realize that despite all the people involved in producing a new record, no one made him come up with something better.

I once met a guy who claimed that since a bitch is a female dog, and dogs are man's best friend, calling a woman a bitch is not an insult. His face was radiant, serene; he absolutely believed that giant frog.

I was speechless. I still am.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That's not serenity... that's opium.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

All I watched of the New Doctor Who was "the episodes with Daleks". I'm not a Doctor Who fan, I'm a dalek fan.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

FrankTrollman wrote:That's not serenity... that's opium.

-Username17
Forget opium, that's crystal meth.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Forget crystal meth, that's jenkem.

Although I guess bitch is a step up from whore. Or it's just a poorly placed hook.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Sir Neil wrote:The radio was playing a song by David Guetta that features Akon musing about "tryin' to find the words to describe this girl without bein' disrespectful". Sadly, the best he could do was "sexy bitch". It's a shame, because the way he sang right before the chorus was very pretty, enough to prompt me to look up the lyrics.

wow... I use more respectful language than that when I think I'm being disrespectful... but I guess that's the difference between being a shitty rapper and an educated person...
And yet he is richer then all of us put together. Such is the free market.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Mask_De_H wrote:Forget crystal meth, that's jenkem.
:rofl:

FrankTrollman wrote:It has a lot of pedo jokes, but it's actually mostly Batman jokes. And they got the voice of Batman to do it. When he showed up in his civilian ID and Venture was like "Shit, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we're gonna be on the news!" that was I think the funniest thing I have ever seen on television.

Everyone knows that he's Captain Sunshine, but secretly he's Chuck Scarsdale, news reporter. And with that hidden power he can scare the pants off of all the main characters. Giant pennies. Constantly comparing him unfavorably to Batman. That episode was amazing. Asking a character played by Kevin Conroy why he couldn't be as awesome as Batman was genius.
My wife loved it, but she's a huge Batman fan.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:

It's 'sexy chick', not 'sexy bitch', at least in the version I heard.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

RiotGearEpsilon wrote:
Ganbare Gincun wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:

It's 'sexy chick', not 'sexy bitch', at least in the version I heard.
The version you heard was probably a radio edit or something.
And sadly, that's at least a little better than "sexy bitch"
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Sexy Chick is the radio-friendly edit. My son loves to dance to that song, but there's no way I'm starting him on the version that promotes the concept of bitch being an acceptable thing to call a woman.

Livvy Franc's Now I'm that Bitch/Chick is the same way.
Last edited by Maj on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

RiotGearEpsilon wrote:It's 'sexy chick', not 'sexy bitch', at least in the version I heard.
That's what I thought I heard, too, and I was sort of proud of his restraint: for a rapper to tell his friends about a gorgeous woman while calling her nothing worse than a "sexy chick" is pretty enlightened.

But I couldn't hear the "k" at the end, so I raised the volume. He was actually saying "Chitch".
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

So, I just saw Inglorious Bastards. I don't really understand what the point of the Bastards was.
I mean, they never accomplish anything except helping a high-ranking Nazi escape death. It might as well have been called 'Angry Film Critic and Her Boyfriend".
There was some jolly good ultraviolence, some fun acting, and some humorous writing.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

They killed a bunch of Nazis.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I believe that it's Rich Burlew's perogative to update whenever the hell he feels like it, but OotS goes so goddamn long between updates and the updates move the plot along so slowly that I've just lost all interest in the comic.

Remember when OotS used to update three days a week?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

that must have been when it was funny, or at least entertaining, on a regular basis.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Moment When a Piece of Entertainment Completely Lost Me:
Piece: Mass Effect 2
Moment: Every time Shepard made the Angry Face during a conversation that should have been rather passive. Every time the only dialogue options that extended the conversation implied Shepard is a dullard. Talking to Liara on Omega and being limited to dialogue options that did not even reference the fact that she was Shepard's love interest from the first game. Doing Mordin's loyalty quest and being unable to say, "I can see your reasoning." The first time I put points in Pull, Throw, and Shockwave and found that they filled the same tactical roles as the powers I already had. Fighting a god damned giant terminator at the end. The game's ending directly after the suicide mission.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I believe that it's Rich Burlew's perogative to update whenever the hell he feels like it, but OotS goes so goddamn long between updates and the updates move the plot along so slowly that I've just lost all interest in the comic.

Remember when OotS used to update three days a week?
Yeah, I frequently forget to check for updates for a while, and I've still never found more than one update in those periods of time.

I'm not saying Rich is lying, but it's certainly convenient to have some unnamed mystery disease/problem/issue that you can invoke whenever you want. Maybe I'm just too greedy.

Prak_Anima wrote:that must have been when it was funny, or at least entertaining, on a regular basis.
Yeah, I liked it better when it made fun of D&D tropes. Somewhere along the way (maybe around strip 200), he focused more on plot than the D&D references.

I still often find it interesting, but mostly now because of the time I've invested in it earlier.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I am not the only person who rants about the East.

It's not the moment it lost me, but the moment it lost the snow lady, but the review is very funny.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:So, I just saw Inglorious Bastards. I don't really understand what the point of the Bastards was.
I mean, they never accomplish anything except helping a high-ranking Nazi escape death. It might as well have been called 'Angry Film Critic and Her Boyfriend".
There was some jolly good ultraviolence, some fun acting, and some humorous writing.
It's based on an actual historical group, which were basically a bunch of pissed off Jewish kids who rallied for this mission to strike back at the heart of the Nazi party. The did some damage, but that was about it. RL isn't very kind to small groups of insurgents, especially when the establishment is okay with killing random people to get at them.

-Crissa
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Why is Koga -- from Inuyasha -- treated as anything other than a blackhearted villain?

It's really infuriating.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.