Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'll look into Kant.
If you aren't taking an upper division or grad school philosophy course and need the most stylish translations, you can get most philosophers at projectgutenberg.org for free.

Here is Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

The kindle store also tends to have a lot of them for free.
If you already have a kindle, it's very convenient.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

K wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:I'll look into Kant.
If you aren't taking an upper division or grad school philosophy course and need the most stylish translations, you can get most philosophers at projectgutenberg.org for free.

Here is Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.
For Paladins? Hmmm ....
I do like Kant for his strict absolutism in regards to his categorical imperative.
Utilitarianism, on the other hand, may better facilitate "l33t roleplaying" of complex moral dilemmas.

/2¢
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Utilitarianism is ultimately flawed, because it's about maximizing what you think is best for someone. At that point you're already imposing arbitrary and unpredictable absolute rules, and are flat out worse than someone who is imposing arbitrary but predictable rules.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

fectin wrote:Utilitarianism is ultimately flawed, because it's about maximizing what you think is best for someone. At that point you're already imposing arbitrary and unpredictable absolute rules, and are flat out worse than someone who is imposing arbitrary but predictable rules.
Kanteanism is just as bad, since a categorical imperative only has to be consistent with itself and a hypothetical kingdom of ends (which is a utilititarian judgement).

Utilitarianism has the advantage of being closer to human lay judgement and common sense, at least until you get into edge cases like utility monsters and utility maximizing robots. Because of this, it's predictable, at least so long as your share similar cultural norms.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

fectin wrote:Utilitarianism is ultimately flawed, because it's about maximizing what you think is best for someone. At that point you're already imposing arbitrary and unpredictable absolute rules, and are flat out worse than someone who is imposing arbitrary but predictable rules.
All morality is about doing what you think is best for other people. You can literally do no better than doing whatever you think is best. What you're criticizing here is excessive micromanaging of other people's lives, which is something that any educated person (utilitarian or not) will agree is something that people do not like. If you think utilitarianism says to do that, then you're probably using (or talking to someone who's using) a rather shitty definition of utility that doesn't take into account the fact that people prefer living by simple rules to living by complicated rules.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Look guys, the bottom line is that sometimes people like to eat Pizza, and sometimes people like to eat Ice Cream. But since we cannot perfectly predict at what times people like to eat what, it would be fucking absurd to try to offer people Ice Cream when they want it and Pizza when they want it.

In the name of having predictable results, the only fair thing to do is force everyone to eat Ice Cream all the time.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

You are maximizing my utility. Quick: is it more optimal for me to live in a house by a lake, or to go to school for another two years? (Neither of those is actually happening).

Utilitarianism suffers from pretending to know what everyone values, which is rough. Ultimately, where every other philosophy is content to say "fuck you," utilitarianism rubs it in, with "fuck you, for your own good."

edit: Kaelik's summary is better.
Last edited by fectin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

A] Tripleposting is bad and you should feel bad.
B] The whole point of Utilitarianism is that you don't ignore rider effects like "What if people get tired of eating ice cream?" and "Actually, wouldn't that be really unhealthy in general?" You add up all of the possible consequences of your actions, good and bad, weighted by their likelihood and their importance, and then pick whichever is best.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

The fact that it's ultimately flawed and pretty much impossible to follow is actually an benefit when it comes to Paladin philosophy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Except... it doesn't. Utilitarianism says that you should do what you think is good for other people, yes. But it also is ends-justified, meaning that if you end up screwing up or it turns out you were wrong about what is good for people, Utilitarianism has no problem declaring that you were in fact wrong and the moving forward you should do what you now think is going to be good for people based on what you've learned. Utilitarianism certainly concedes that omniscience would be nice to have, but it doesn't actually require it.

Actually, John Stuart Mill gave a speech in favor of Capital Punishment. However, his logic was based on the presumed deterrent factor of judicial executions. Meaning that armed with modern statistics and research, he would reach the opposite conclusion. That isn't an "ultimate flaw" of Utilitarianism, that's just how empiricism works. Your judgments are only as good as your information. But that also means that your judgments improve over time, meaning that empirically based ethical systems like Utilitarianism get better as time progresses, leaving static divine command and derived systems languishing in morally reprehensible dust.

In any case:
Sashi wrote:The fact that it's ultimately flawed and pretty much impossible to follow is actually an benefit when it comes to Paladin philosophy.
This is why Kantianism is such a great starting point. It's not empirical. Meaning that the conclusions it reaches are insane and increasingly out of touch with the modern moral zeitgeist. For a role playing game, motivations that are uncompromising and insane are great, while motivations that are fuzzy and adaptive are horse shit.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:edit: Kaelik's summary is better.
Since it is apparently not clear to at the very least fectin, I was making fun of his claim that Utilitarianism is bad because it doesn't produce predictable results because it tries to give everyone what they want.

Trying to give everyone what they want, IE, Utilitarianism, and failing, is still obviously better than any other system, for a start the categorical imperative, which is the giving everyone Ice cream all the time to be predictable.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Oh? I wouldn't have thought the categorical imperative would allow for anything as frivolous as ice cream or pizza.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

fectin wrote:Oh? I wouldn't have thought the categorical imperative would allow for anything as frivolous as ice cream or pizza.
Only if you can justify having everyone eating all the time. :tongue:
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is there a thorough chart anywhere that shows what a level X monster should look like in terms of hitpoints, damage, and spell/abilities?

Just all in one place.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

OgreBattle wrote:Is there a thorough chart anywhere that shows what a level X monster should look like in terms of hitpoints, damage, and spell/abilities?

Just all in one place.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

OgreBattle wrote:Is there a thorough chart anywhere that shows what a level X monster should look like in terms of hitpoints, damage, and spell/abilities?

Just all in one place.
The only things I've ever found (and the info is a bit scant) is this download and this post
It has some of the info you're looking for.
(keep in mind that they were both written from the players' perspective)
- Mark Cuban

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

After a bit of thought, the answer is Yes. The Cleric class in the player's handbook is an example of what is and is not appropriate for a monster of any CR from 1 to 20. If you are looking for a primary beatstick monster, look to the Barbarian, and a primary spellcaster is a Wizard, but the best example of a "level appropriate" blend of both is the Cleric. Use the Elite Array and the NPC equipment list in the DMG when determining swag carried that can help them.
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Hicks wrote:After a bit of thought, the answer is Yes. The Cleric class in the player's handbook is an example of what is and is not appropriate for a monster of any CR from 1 to 20. If you are looking for a primary beatstick monster, look to the Barbarian, and a primary spellcaster is a Wizard, but the best example of a "level appropriate" blend of both is the Cleric. Use the Elite Array and the NPC equipment list in the DMG when determining swag carried that can help them.
Hahah, now I want to run a game where all opposition faced are really reskinned Clerics!
Maybe it could be the balancing point for a D&D heartbreaker, or remake of 4e

I'll take a look at those charts with save DC's and stuff. Thanks.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I know pathfinder does have this table:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mons ... ation.html

And someone made a spreadsheet with the existing monster statistics:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... tMFE#gid=3

- Edit: though there are significant differences between a lot of 3.x and pathfinder monsters.
Last edited by ishy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Is there any way to create a Shadowrun-style, "counting successes" dicepool system that doesn't have a huge variance relative to the size of the dicepools?
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Schleiermacher wrote:Is there any way to create a Shadowrun-style, "counting successes" dicepool system that doesn't have a huge variance relative to the size of the dicepools?
Well, the variance increases the more dice are in the pool. That's how a dicepool system works. You could keep the dicepool fixed in size by only varying the number of hits needed. Also, if you just wanted to keep the variance "relatively low", you could either keep dicepools small or lower the base target number, both of which lower overall variance.

Not really sure what you're looking for. But a dicepool system has increased variance as the dicepool increases in size. That's a core feature of the mechanic. You can easily see why when you realize that the minimum is always zero and the maximum is always the total number of dice (unless you have botch and explosion effects on specific numbers, which of course increase variance even more). So rolling one die you are generating a number between zero and one, but rolling 6 dice you're generating a number between zero and six. Of course the variance is going to rise under such circumstances.

-Username17
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

FrankTrollman wrote:Well, the variance increases the more dice are in the pool. That's how a dicepool system works.
I realize this part, and I also know that keeping the dice pool size small or static will therefore help (obviously), but restricting the dice pool size kind of takes away the best feature of the mechanic, as I see it.
lower the base target number
This is what I was after, thank you. I was a little mathematically mixed up, so I wasn't sure if it would actually work, or just shift the distribution of results without really changing anything. But of course, dicepool systems don't care about the value of each die, only about the odds of getting successes. So there's really no such thing.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

You need to be a little careful when talking about variance increasing, because stays exactly the same proportional to the distribution (np'p, specifically).
So, the 2E-flavored game looks a lot less alarming than it sounded. It sounds like it's mostly going to be dungeon focused, but that's not really a fault. Th guy does have some ideas for changes he wants to make, but so far they sound like the normal bad ideas or relatively mundane, e.g. critical fumbles (le sigh) or playing on a hex instead of a grid.

Either way, but especially at higher levels, I think the best answer will be playing Sandbagger Batman. Anyone have any thoughts for that? Booklist is PHB 1 & 2, Complete Adventurer, Arcane, Divine, and Warrior.

My instinct is to just go wizard-> Ur priest -> Theurge.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

What should a Social Contract for RPGing be detailed with exactly? Is this question too broad, and warrant a thread of its own?

I know Races of War has spoken about what a PC needs to roleplay it (or to be "interesting"). However, I believe there's been variations/changes to that quote, having me ask what do Characters need then? (commonly said is Schtick, Motivation and...3rd one changing the most)
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History