STARCRAFT: Strategy and Balance

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

STARCRAFT: Strategy and Balance

Post by erik »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1177507993[/unixtime]]Don't use well-balanced and starcraft in the same sentance.

Feh, I found starcraft to be exceptionally well balanced.

Judging from your post's references to "most people" not knowing what defiler's cloud's function was, I'm led to believe that the starcraft circles you gamed in weren't that sophisticated. That's a basic ability, not something sneaky.

There are macro-management strategies that vary quite widely, with rock-paper-scissoresque counters which as Random noted, pretty much require accurate intelligence on what your opponent is doing in order to know what counter to select yourself.

There is no such thing as an unassailable wall of turrets and bunkers, even if it is backed by a hefty air force (which takes some time to accumulate). A defiler or two could easily plague the whole business and then use the aforementioned cloud to let slip in the cleanup crew. Corsairs could lay down disruption webs, backed by arbiters to stasis some of the air support and bring whatever equivalently large counter-force the opponent should have in order to rip apart the defense piecemeal. There are counters to those siege breaker strategies of course, but there's counters to those as well.

And then there is the micromanagement. I have in an actual game killed a group of 12 enemy zealots with my own equally upgraded 8 zealots, without losing a single man (that was my favorite triumph of micromanagement since I was only a mediocre player who could easily take on 7 computers on many maps back in the day). There are lots of factors to balance, including time management, since micromanaging troops can lead to fantastic advantages in battle, but it distracts from the macromanagement required as well.

As for no novel techniques being developed, I've seen more tactics get spawned than I can count. I'm sure I don't even know most the counters and tricks, and I knew a lot of them back when I was active. Reaver drops are the best example of something that was totally unorthodox at the time that was developed by someone experimenting new things. Floating buildings over troops to make it harder for the human player to target them was another trick I've seen on rolling tank/infantry advances.

Hrm, I thinks we need a thread split on this stuff (though if not, I'll just shut up here). It's nearly the 10th anniversary of my having first played starcraft and I'm feeling nostalgic.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: Cheradenine

Post by RandomCasualty »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1177507993[/unixtime]]
Is that the one where you set up heavy defense (tanks, forward firebat bunkers, marine bunkers just behind them, with missiles and wraiths for early scouting (mixed with the terran radar ability to keep tabs on your enemy); then set up a half-dozen starports and create a fleet of 20-odd battlecruisers?

No, that's a newb strategy that's called turtling.

Turtling is a terrible strategy because basically you're conceding the map entirely to not worry about the early pressure game. You expect the enemy to just rush you and throw their forces away on your awesome defenses. The problem is that a good player is smart. He won't attack you. Instead he'll just start taking over the map (which you conceded by having all turrets and bunkers). Then, it's your little base against everything else. Yes, you've teched up to battle cruisers, but battlecruisers are expensive to make and you've got only one base to pump them out with. In fact, if your opponent was doing the same strategy you were, he'd have a bigger fleet than you would, because he has several expansions to your main base.

On a side note, battlecruisers suck. Seriously, they're one of the worst units in that game. The only time you ever see them in a serious game is in Terran on Terran, but that's sort of a different game. Besides that, they're a newbie bashing unit with very few practical uses. Their main use is attacking heavily fortified islands or killing tanks and turrets in terran versus terran.

Here are some good Terran strategies:

Against Protoss: Wall off your ramp with barracks+supply depot then fast tech to factory units (vultures/tanks/goliaths). Use vultures to plant mines against zealots, while the tanks take out the dragoons. If a toss starts to get carriers, you want goliaths. Effectively for every zealot he makes you want more vultures. If he's goon heavy, you want tanks. When he starts to shift to air, then you want some goliaths. You've got three basic attacks you can use. Mech drop (whcih involves dropships of either 4 vultures or two tanks and focuses on harassing resource lines), tank push (focusing on a bunch of tanks and vultures gradually closing in on the enemy base) or terran power (which is about expanding as much as you can with tank protection).

Against zerg: Effectively mass marines + medics with science vessel/tank support against lurkers.

Against terran: generally tanks for defense with wraiths as your harass. Terran versus terran is a slow resource war, with each side trying to starve the other one out. Late game terran on terran is usually battlecruisers or ghost/nukes, since terran defense is very hard to crack for other terrans.

I know terrans are strong, I've got a friend who's beaten people simply by Proc'ing up with terrans and watching his enemies die against his inpenetrable wall of bunkers and turrets supported by several valks and cruisers to keep other cruisers, carriers and guardians from doing long-range bombing tricks. Eventually he wins since they've used up all of their reasources and he's still got his whole army. Rather cheesy, but it's worked for him.

That's not cheesy at all. That's just saying he's playing newbies and probably playing on Big Game Hunters whcih has infinite resources. Let him try the same thing on Lost temple (or any other normal map for that matter) and he will get owned by any remotely half-competent player.

Even on BGH it's not a great strategy, though for Terran on Terran it can work semi ok, since TvT is a total turtle match with infinite resources. But that's more a problem with those infinite resource maps as opposed to the game itself. Starcraft was designed for maps with limited resources, where you would gradually and constantly be forced to expand and the game plays much better in those conditions.

Any other matchup though, and you're dead. Protoss can slaughter you with carriers (which will be built faster due to not having to worry about spending 5000 minerals on turrets), or alternately can go the evil humiliation route and mass dark archons. So the enemy's battle cruiser fleet emerges and is subsequently mass-mind controlled the moment it leaves the confines of his base. Or the toss can just pressure you into the ground with a lot of zealot/goon. If you're making too many turrets then you can get run over by ground forces. If you're not making enough turrets then he can reaver drop or psi-raid your worker line.

A zerg pretty much laughs at mass terran air and defenses. A single defiler is about all it takes to win that.

Then again, him and his brother used to have the funniest way to beat people at warcraft 3, they'd both rush to the outside of an enemies base and build their towers there, thinking that they enemies had already covered the whole map in towers, these players would resign themselves to building up for the incoming attack or quit.

That actually kind of worked in WC3 at one point, before they patched it. The orc tower rush was actually a favored strategy. I don't believe it works well anymore though after they patched it.

But anyway WC3 isn't nearly as well balanced as Starcraft. WC3 allowed a lot of crazy strategies, at one point I won games simply by massing ancients (their movable structures) as night elves. I wouldn't even use heroes, I'd just tear people's bases down with my base.

For zerg hydras, guardians +/- mutas for zerg is an easy combo, cracklings become useless after a while except for sending 3-4 groups in as extra targets with say the cloud that blocks ranged fire that the worm-looking caster zerg use, most people don't know that the brown cloud blocks ranged fire and don't realize that their marines aren't shooting the zerglings that are ripping up the bunker.

guardian/muta isn't a great strategy by any means. Most of the time mutas are harass units, or are combined with zlings or cracklings. ling/muta is a much better combo than trying to go full zerg air.

Protoss: Corsairs will slaughter it, or simply templar/goon/archon which you'll probably have anyway against zerg.

Terrans: Just a small handful of valks will slaughter zerg air. not to mention you can do some damage just with irradiate if the enemy bunches up his mutas.

I guess terrans have tanks, valkyries (the anti-air plane) and a mix of bats, marines and a bunch of medics for mixed fighting, or heck, just firebats to keep people from meleeing or getting in too close to the tanks; massive marine groups to harrass get pasted very often as the game goes on.

Marine + medic is a very common core battlegroup against zerg, against anything else, infantry just isn't all that great. Toss and Terran both tear up infantry so easily they're just not worth using at all.

It's been a long time since I've played though.

You should give it a try. I believe it's the best RTS game out there if you're looking for great gameplay (as opposed to just great graphics). Also, the replay feature they added in one of the patches lets you see every move of every game you play, so you can learn from your mistakes and see what your opponent was doing.

Also as clikml mentioned, there's a lot of micromanagement as well as macromanagement to it. Some games can be matters of making tons of troops and throwing them at your foes, while others can be matters of using a small amount of troops well.

Depending on how you space your troops, what kinds of flanks you use, and the overall timing of the thing, you can win or lose battles simply with micromanagement. In fact, there's even an arena style map called micro wars that showcases this element of the game. It's a series of small matchups that hand you a small force and gives your opponent a small force of a different race. Then after, you each switch sides. It's very possible for good players to win all the matchups.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

This is making me want to try the game.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I love crazy strategies, I'm going to have to try out WC3 again...
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1177906270[/unixtime]]I love crazy strategies, I'm going to have to try out WC3 again...

Well unfortunately with the new patches, most of the crazy strategies are gone from WC3. Orc towers got nerfed, NE ancients got nerfed, and so you really can't do much beyond the basic hero + units strategy unless you're playing a total newbie. The new WC3 patches sort of killed any kind of out of the box thinking for the most part.

And really, I find that Starcraft is a better game for straight up humiliation strats. It's fun to take out a newbie with mass nukes or a 200 drone drop. Another fun strategy is to mass mind control all his units. That really tends to piss people off though.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

My 2c.

One more thing that is in favor of SC: numbers. When you have a marine, you know all of it's important stats. HP 40, DMG 6, Armor 0. There. If you upgrade Marine armor by 1, the following units(unupgraded) will have to make 1 extra shot to kill the marine: Lurker, Dragoon, Vulture, Zergling(2 extra), Marine, Dark Templar, Photon Cannon, Sunken colony. All of these are low tech units. Most other units have similar statistics. I'm not saying that you should crunch numbers, but it's fun to know that your upgrades actually work and to see them working.

Also as far as Vultures are concerned, I always thought of them in the following way: you pay for the 3 mines, and the factory is kind enough to give the little bike for free. So why not go mass?

engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Do Zerg rushes still work?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

I havn't played starcraft in a long time, but I agree that it is, by far, the best RTS I've ever played.

As a nod to limited resource maps, I was playing on a 3 on 3 map, and it ended up being just me (terran) against a lone opponent (protoss). The only reason why I won was that I could lift off a command center and land it near a nearly depleted mineral patch and get 400 more minerals than the protoss guy. The other guy, however, had to either sacrifice 400 minerals or risk having a very long peon line that would probably get hit. By the time I killed his last building, there were exactly zero minerals left on the map, and neither of us had enough minerals left to build any units. Add free scouting (commsat station) to the mix, and I was usually able to pull off hit and runs on his riskier operations with no losses. It helps that I was able to repair my few tanks, and his units were vulnerable to my one science vessels EMP.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

(No Subject)

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I think my real problem with SC is that's not a stratgy game, it's a tactical game.

While I can do both, I just hate it when a tactical game calls itself a strategy game.

Yes, micro in SC was very important. Micro is tactics, not strategy though. =/

The top ten tourny players that I was talking about where the people that could use 4 lings vs 4 enemy lings and kill them all (losing 1); which seems dumb, but is important in the first 2 minutes of gameplay. Since it can utterly disrupt your enemies teching and push the initiative firmy into your own hands, it's rather important to be able to do well.

The thing is, micro isn't strategy, it's tactics.

At the tactical level I want stuff like morale that will screw up my own or enemy troops b/c they've endured battle fatige; I want there to be troops that can decide to fall back and keep firing or advance and fire before assasulting. I want the fact that I'm flanking an enemy position to be generally useful.

Really, at a tactical level, I want Dawn of War.

For the strategic level, I still think that TA captures the feel of allowing players to use combined-arms warfare; the new Supreme Commander game that is the follow-up to TA pushes the strategic envelope even more when you have to know how well you can use your units on maps that can take your ground units nearly an hour to cross (80 km maps at 60-80 kph means that your platoon of 50 assault kinetic-bots will need full supoort from arty and air coverage if they expect to not get bombed to scrap by your enemies tier 1 bombers).

Then again, Supreme Commander can be derided as a "sim city" game, where a buildings adjacency to other, appropriate, buildings will improve their efficiency (consume less resources). Although, being able to combine a pile of different skills (which, except for construction orders for engineer units, involves very little micro). Like sending in disposable air scouts, fighters, low tier bombers and then higher tier bombers to ensure that the enemies anti-air targets your crap stuff first, means that you'll have a more than decent chance of taking out an enemies nuclear silo or experimental units factory (nukes in TA and SC, tend to be actually useful at factory-busting and the range is high enough to make many want to either spread out the base or build mulitple nuclear defense missile silos; which can of course be countered by building multiple nuclear silos and having them produce nukes en masse.

I'm not sure if anyone here even played Total Annihilation though. I mostly liked it b/c it meant that I didn't have to play "Command & Conquer" type games like Starcraft any more, which had been boring me.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: (No Subject)

Post by RandomCasualty »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1177940920[/unixtime]]
The thing is, micro isn't strategy, it's tactics.

At the tactical level I want stuff like morale that will screw up my own or enemy troops b/c they've endured battle fatige; I want there to be troops that can decide to fall back and keep firing or advance and fire before assasulting. I want the fact that I'm flanking an enemy position to be generally useful.

Well, Starcraft is both a tactical AND a strategic game. Strategy involves building the proper counters, what and when to tech, when to expand, and so forth.

Yes, tactics certainly helps, but it's not as though you can't also beat an opponent through sheer numbers either. As clikml said earlier, there's a lot of balancing to be done. There is so much to be done, tactically and strategically, that you have to manage exactly how much emphasis you're placing on each.

If your strategy involves drop harass, chances are you're focusing more on micro. If it's a power build, then you're going to focus more on macro and strategy.

You can't win the game on strategy alone, nor can you win it on tactics alone. Both are important.

Starcraft is also a fast and intense game. No it doesn't take hours to cover a map, but that'd be pretty boring anyway for a multiplayer game. I mean, I really don't want to wait a half hour for my crap to cross the map, that eliminates any kind of early pressure and just lets people tech and power to their hearts desire. Starcraft is much more interactive in the sense that you're hearing from your opponent at all levels of the game.

A lot of people have trouble with the speed, because really, in addition to having good micro and good macro, you've also got to be fast and good at multi-tasking. Being a good starcraft player is tough, because at mid and late game, the game is more intense than any FPS game. Every second counts.

Do Zerg rushes still work?

Sort of. I'm not sure what you mean by rush though. No strategy is really unbeatable, especially not a rush, but against a careless opponent, a rush can certain win the game. Here are a few.

4/5 pool: This is basically an all or nothing rush and is the quickest possible rush any race is capable of. You build a spawning pool asap, then churn out 6 zerglings with minimal economy. Basically you count on your opponent not being able to micro his workers to beat you. If he can, then you're basically screwed because you've got no economy. This sort of rush isn't seen at all at the pro level.

9 pool: This entails getting a spawning pool before the hatchery in an effort to produce a quick zergling rush, but without fully sacrificing economy. It's a decent strategy as I've seen some pros do it with success. I'm personally not much of a zerg player though, so I'm not entirely certain on its merits and flaws.

Speedling Rush: This is basically a fast tech to zergling speed, and relies on the threat of a quick rush to the enemy's resource line to discourage any attacks. In fact, if you get lucky and find a hole to get into the enemy base, this can truly devastate your opponent and win games. Of course, if your foe clogs up his ramp or builds some kind of static defense at his worker line, this won't work so well. A single photon cannon and your probes can stop 12 speedlings with minimal losses. Another strategy that some pros tend to use, especially against Protoss.

Tech Rush: Basically you fast tech to either mutas or lurkers and try to take out the opponents worker line, hoping he either has no detection or no anti-air. If you're able to take your opponent by surprise with this, it can be an easy game winner. Tech rushes can sometimes still put you in good shape even if the actual rush fails, because they can help acquire map control. For instance, your foe may rely on static defenses, like missile turrets or photon cannons for anti-air or detection, this means that for the time being, they can defend, but cannot attack you. Making it a good time to try to expand. This one is actually a fairly sound strategy.

Early Starting Force Rush: This isn't really a true "rush" per se, it's more simply intense early pressure, though many players think of any big early game attack as being a rush strategy. This sort of rush is nice if your opponent is trying to fast tech without any decent defense. Zerg sometimes can do it to overrun a fast teching toss or zerg. Really though, zerg tends to be the one that techs in most games, so this isn't used much for zerg. Toss generally tends to put the pressure on early against zerg, not the other way around.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I once beat the top Korean player with a Zergling rush. I ran in and killed his Protoss crap with like 30 Zerglings. He wouldn't play with me anymore after that.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1177961796[/unixtime]]I once beat the top Korean player with a Zergling rush. I ran in and killed his Protoss crap with like 30 Zerglings. He wouldn't play with me anymore after that.

If you beat him with a 30 zergling rush in a PvZ game, then he wasn't the top Korean player. He probably wasn't even anywhere near pro level. Pro players are insanely good at that game, and I'm not even talking about top pros. He probably was just lying to you when he said he was the best.

I mean, I put a lot of hours into that game, but pro players totally kicked my ass.

Most korean pros didn't even play on battle.net, they played on some special server called gamei that had all this sort of anti-map hack software and stuff.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Maybe he's talking about a top vs. bottom setup, heh.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

TA for the win.

It understood one important thing. RTS isn't strategy. Its about things exploding.

It was also revolutionary in many ways that Blizzard STILL hasn't caught up with, witness supreme commander that adds like ONE new revolutionary aspect (zooming) and STILL remains massively ahead of the curve.

Also limited resources means VERY limited gameplay. I don't care what the fans pretend starcraft was generally decided by a single rush either early or late game since whatever you invested if you lost it, you lost.

Dawn of war deserves honourable mention for many reasons and for being super nifty and understanding/exploiting the limits of the genre and doing it DIFFERENTLY to TA.

But this is the age of 3D, RTS should look and play like Battlezone 2 and Sacrifice. Its a very big pity they STILL play like dumb old star/war craft (IE since blizard never did anything original or good other than to some limited extent diablo look and play like DUNE 2 clones, and I liked DUNE 2 better).
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Heh. Diablo I/II are totally graphical rogue-like clones. Original my ass.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1177972336[/unixtime]]
It understood one important thing. RTS isn't strategy. Its about things exploding.

Things exploding gets old after like... uh... 10 minutes. Gameplay is something you play for years and years.

Note that there are still thousands and thousands of people who still play Starcraft and it's a very old game. You can log onto battlenet right now and have no trouble finding a game at all.

Most RTS that focus on flashy graphics die out in under 2 years as people realize that the entirety of the strategic depth is "things blowing up". Because hell, if I want to just watch shit blow up, I'll go rent an action movie. No matter how good the explosions and graphics are, eventually the wonder fades.

It was also revolutionary in many ways that Blizzard STILL hasn't caught up with, witness supreme commander that adds like ONE new revolutionary aspect (zooming) and STILL remains massively ahead of the curve.

Revolutionary in what sense? Big explosions and expensive 3D graphics?

That's not revolutionary, that's trivial eye candy.

You don't really even need zooming in an RTS game. Yeah, it's kinda cool to see your uber battle tank up close, but you do that maybe once or twice when you play the game, then you actually find a zoom level that you can actually play the game at.

Mildly entertaining, the rest of the time the fancy graphics just lag the game and take away from your play control.

I want to have massive battles in an RTS. I don't want to have to worry about lagging my game because I happened to get too many tanks onscreen or whatever. Starcraft was nice in that it handled mass battles very smoothly, you never sacrificed play control, ever.

Sure the graphics were pretty simple, but they were good enough to serve their purpose. You knew exactly what every unit was on a cursory glance (which is more than one can say about some of the 3D RTS), and you could very quickly and easily command them.

Also limited resources means VERY limited gameplay. I don't care what the fans pretend starcraft was generally decided by a single rush either early or late game since whatever you invested if you lost it, you lost.

You haven't played the game enough, because they aren't pretending.

The game has tons of depth and it takes more than a casual playing to actually see the depth inherent in the game.

Building up omega fleets and doing one big all-or-nothing rush is a newbie strategy. If you think the game plays that way, you obviously haven't played it enough.

The gameplay wasn't limited at all. While resources were limited, you can also expand. This expansion created a resource war as different players tried to take different parts of the map.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

AlphaNerd at [unixtime wrote:1177972832[/unixtime]]Heh. Diablo I/II are totally graphical rogue-like clones. Original my ass.

Yeah, on a side note, I found the Diablo games very overrated. They were just a matter of repeating hack, heal potion, hack, heal potion, until you got bored.

Then again, that's the same model that works for MMORPGs, so apparently a lot of people like it. I never understood it though.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

wrote:Heh. Diablo I/II are totally graphical rogue-like clones. Original my ass.

I felt I should make an exception not because it broke the lack of originality condition but because it was actually moderately fun, which is absolutely exeptional work as far as Blizzard is concerned.

wrote:Revolutionary in what sense? Big explosions and expensive 3D graphics?

You could Que huge piles of production orders at factories.

You could Que complex orders on the map.

You could produce units directly into groups.

Hieght and shape of terrain was genuinely important.

Land, sea and air units were all different and important.

In many dumber RTS games every fricking second unit has one to THREE or more special abilities which can only be activated by clicking on the unit, clicking on some fricking button, and clicking on some target. By which time you are bored, dead and too late to achieve anything. TA neatly avoided that, TAK even tried to find away around it, Supreme Commander basically has NO abilities like that crap. Blizzard still LOVES that shit.

The resource model was VERY nicely limited by RATE not total volume. Making for soft, but not too soft, limits on production. That was fvcking a work of art.

You could build big armies, throw them at each other and the game might well see that happen MORE THAN ONCE.

Most RTS still don't do ANY of that stuff, even now!

wrote:Starcraft was nice in that it handled mass battles very smoothly, you never sacrificed play control, ever.

Star craft did NOT have massive battles, you had hard limits of total units at once at LOW numbers, hard limits of units selectable at LOW numbers, and hard limits of how many units could be produced from available resources in LOW numbers. TA unit caps were at least an order of ten over that.

Star craft battles are fvcking street gang scale skirmishes.

wrote:You don't really even need zooming in an RTS game. Yeah, it's kinda cool to see your uber battle tank up close, but you do that maybe once or twice when you play the game, then you actually find a zoom level that you can actually play the game at.

You need the new funky Supreme Commander zooming because like all the best stuff Chris whatsisname does its a great user interface tool (his games, like dungeon seige, can be boring as hell but he does GREAT user interface stuff).

Its not zooming in to see your uber battle tank, thats been done, its nice, but its been done. Its zooming OUT to see the mini map controlling some junk there, then zooming back in to control junk closer in somewhere else, etc...

You go "oh need to be over there" no clunky pre marked shorcuts to map locations, no clunky scroll to you get there, no finding it on a mini map, clicking the tiny spot there, getting back on the main screen, scrolling the last bit.

Mouse scroll button out, mouse scroll button in. BAM.

Why didn't they think of it sooner? Because Blizzard NEVER thinks of it sooner.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1177979914[/unixtime]]
wrote:Heh. Diablo I/II are totally graphical rogue-like clones. Original my ass.

I felt I should make an exception not because it broke the lack of originality condition but because it was actually moderately fun, which is absolutely exeptional work as far as Blizzard is concerned.

I can't understand that at all. The game was entirely point and click--there was no skill, and no challenge.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Hey Phone, you ever try out the Dark Crusade update to Dawn of War?

Actually, I like the fact that Relic did a lot like Cavedog did and released it's "expansions" as material that truly expanded the game's play. The Core Contingency expansion added a good 75 new units, plus maps; while the DoW expansions simply add completely new armies to use.

If you have or have not tried the dark crus. expansion, there's one part in it that still has my mind thinking and re-thnking how the game can be played.

Mostly b/c of the Necron race. Nothing that they do or can do is like anything that other races can do.

I've nearly finished the 'single player' campaign with necrons and seriously, the only thngs that I could apply to this army that I had learned playing marines/orc/eldar/chaos in the original DoW game was this:

1. Moving troops around the map is god-awfully useful

Basic Necron units (warriors and flayed ones, really) can instantely teleport to any building (not turrets) that you control. Now, necron warriors and flayed ones are slow in a painful fashion and warriors build unbelievably slow (since the 3 warriors that you get for 3 squad cap cost 0 Energy; yeah, all crons units/structures/upgrades cost only energy, which is odd, but you get used to it).

Flayed Ones can also be placed into your Monolith and deep striked wherever you can see. Few things are funnier to watch than an organized Tau line of firepower units have 5 8-man Flayed one Squads 'pop' around them and rip them to shreds. Since FO's have terrible speed and are melee only, Deep-Striking with them en-masse is a very handy tactic. The really silly thing about this all? They can teleport al the way back to your monolith to be deep striked again pretty easily.

Also, Necron 'vehicles' are some of the fastest units in the game, they're all 'skimming' units with very small footprints (no 'jumping' though).

2. Ordinary forces tie up the enemy, extraordinary forces win the battle

Necrons warriors are summed up in one word: underpriced. At 35 Energy each (and +200 or more energy a tick is easily possible to achieve) you can get a half-dozen 8-man squads that tie up all sorts of enemy units literally forever; Khorne Berzerkers? Yep, tie them up. Dreadnoughts? Yep, in a one squad vs. one dread match-up. they're tough enough to not get chewed up by a marine dreadnought or chaos defiler.

Of course, that does you no good when you're trying to force your way into an enemy base, since they're slow and will get tied up forever, you probably won't do more than simply hold the enemy in a very long, drawn out melee affair.

Either using very fast moving vehilces, your Pariah squad (most elite units are 1 squad per player, so the days of 4 terminator squads that chew up enemy units in narrow to maneuver maps are gone) or "jump" your commander (he's got his own teleporter ability with a very large range) and then drop deep striking flayed ones to either kill the enemy HQ or surround/flank the fire support that's keeping your warriors from winning.

Of course, this is Dawn of War, there are usually tons of entrances to a 'base' area and many people don't consider getting flanked.

3. You don't have detectors that you can build easily; and units that can infiltrate have been drastically beefed up, they can fire and remain hidden

Fortunately Necron builder scarabs are free (0 energy) move pretty fast and you'll keep them with your forward troops to de-cap and then cap/build on strategic points.

Also, one bonus thing about necrons

4. You don't have artillery units. You can however get 39/20 squad cap.

Necron Lords can get the Resurection Orb that lets you revive certain necron troops (wraiths, flayed ones, necron warrions, necron immortals). Now, the really silly thing is that you can build 'normal' troops, put them in one spot and then 'scuttle' them (delete key); then keep sending all of the squads that you want to have over your squad cap into the same spot.

After you've got a good 40+ guys dead in one spot and you've maxed your squad cap, you res all of your dead guys and nearly double the troops that you've got. Having 1 squad of pariahs (4 squad cap), 4 squads of Warriors (12), 5 of immortals (10) and 4 of Flayed Ones (12) [38 total] is a great way to piss off an enemy as they see nearly 100 (97) necron troops either marching into or being deep striked around their base.

That's what I've noticed so far at least. Everything is just so different about them that it's like playing a whole new game when I use them.

The overspecialized Tau are something entirely else as well, their fire warriors drop more ranged fire than marines (!) and their kroot allies can rip apart almost any number of orc squads one after an other.

I'll probably replay the single player with either Tau or... maybe marines. Mostly b/c after attacking every other races base I want to see what the necron base is like (and I won't see it since I've already killed the Orc, Chaos, Marine and Tau forces so far with my necron army, eldar are next, then the imps).

The new single player mode for Dawn of War is combination of Risk + Dawn of War mash-up.

You have a world map that is chopped up into territories and to control a territory you have to fight a specific map or do a specific special mission (Destroy HQ is the usual parameter to win; which suits me fne since Necrons are good at taking out specific structures, but their lack of artillery makes taking out strong bases hard). If you win the map, everything that you build, structures wise remains if you have to later defend that map (although everything that you build 'in' the attacker's base is gone, so if you covered the map in structures, you can quickly tell where their base is.

I was able to keep the chaos player hemmed in his starting location for a half-dozen rounds as he fruitlessly tried to attack and attack a very well reinforced and built-up 'territory'. I did the same to the Tau Player, but I later lured him into a map that he had been trying to take from me and let him take it, when I went to go attack his fortress without his main army in place.

Anyway, each terroritory gives you access to certain 'honour guard' squads (squads that are in play when you start a map and don't take up squad cap) or to special 'other' benefits (like having your squad and vehicle cap increased to 24 and 22 each; or be able to spend planetary requisition to build 'forward bases' or attack twice per round or attack any spot on the map (save fortresses)).

... I'm rambling.

Anyway, it's definately a different way to 'run' a single player camapaign.

-----------

Notes on TA:

The game gave tools that allowed the player to control vast aspects of their forces at once and give them unified commands.

You could seriously select all of your factories of a certain type (select one factory of that type, press ctrl+a) and tell them to send all of the units that they're building to either A) one spot or B) give them a series of patrol points for them to follow.

Most RTS games still can't do that. Heck, starcraft couldn't do that and the game shipped after TA hit the shelves.

For me, it was the ability to issue relatively vauge commands to my units that didn't matter (i.e. most ground units) and let them deal with their own problems as they saw them, while I used important units (i.e. super-range artillery, nukes, high tier air/ground/sea units) to actually win the battle.

That and units that could act in a believable fashion.

Like, move and fire at the same time.

Until TA showed up, I had not seen a single RTS game that allowed units to move around and fire at the same time.

Having 'dead' units leave scrap on the map was an other thing that I thought was interesting; all of those busted tanks don't vaporize you know?

I guess that I liked TA b/c I didn't have to pretend that certain things that didn't make sense were things that I could ignore.

Like, the fact that most RTS games don't have any form of "radar".
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1177979914[/unixtime]]
You could Que huge piles of production orders at factories.

Starcraft has a build queue.

You could Que complex orders on the map.

Not sure what kinds of complex orders you're talking about, You could set waypoints in starcraft for a multi-step movement.

Hieght and shape of terrain was genuinely important.

Terrain was very important in Starcraft. Higher elevation made stuff miss half the time when they shot at you, and choke points could make or break battles.

Land, sea and air units were all different and important.

Starcraft didn't really have sea units, since sea units tend to suck in games (just stay away from the water). But it's land and air units were all very different and important for different purposes.

In many dumber RTS games every fricking second unit has one to THREE or more special abilities which can only be activated by clicking on the unit, clicking on some fricking button, and clicking on some target. By which time you are bored, dead and too late to achieve anything. TA neatly avoided that, TAK even tried to find away around it, Supreme Commander basically has NO abilities like that crap. Blizzard still LOVES that shit.

Those abilities actually add depth to the game. Without those abilities all you can do is attack or move. And that's pretty boring. Units can't be very interesting if all they do is move and attack. I mean how much depth can you really have if you don't have any abilities?

wrote:
Star craft did NOT have massive battles, you had hard limits of total units at once at LOW numbers, hard limits of units selectable at LOW numbers, and hard limits of how many units could be produced from available resources in LOW numbers. TA unit caps were at least an order of ten over that.

There was a supply cap of 200, but you very rarely if ever hit it. As far as huge battles, you could have battles between like 20 hydralisks, 35 marines, 10 medics, 6 lurkers, 60 zerglings and 4 siege tanks and have all those units attacking and firing on the screen at once.

Its not zooming in to see your uber battle tank, thats been done, its nice, but its been done. Its zooming OUT to see the mini map controlling some junk there, then zooming back in to control junk closer in somewhere else, etc...

In starcraft you could see the minimap and see the tactical map at the same time. So obviously no need to zoom.

You go "oh need to be over there" no clunky pre marked shorcuts to map locations, no clunky scroll to you get there, no finding it on a mini map, clicking the tiny spot there, getting back on the main screen, scrolling the last bit.

So you zoom oout, then click on where you want to zoom in, then zoom in.

Starcraft was a lot faster. Click on minimap, done. I dont' need to zoom out, then zoom in and all that other BS.

Why didn't they think of it sooner? Because Blizzard NEVER thinks of it sooner.

Because it's slower maybe. Looks alot prettier I'm sure, but good games don't rely on eye candy.

And really, I haven't heard anything of the actual strategy or tactics involved in TA. All I've heard are "the graphics are totally awesome man! And you can totally zoom in and out!"

Takes a bit more to make a good RTS game in my opinion.

I'll take balanced units and strategic and tactical depth over a simple eyecandy game anyday.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

wrote:Starcraft has a build queue.

Not like TA, it was way, way, smaller and clunkier, which is where build ques REMAIN in most RTS.

Heck even being able to build at multiple factories of the same sort SIMULTANEOUSLY was a step back in those days (did star craft do that, I can't remember, I blocked out the crappy memories).

wrote:Not sure what kinds of complex orders you're talking about

ALL of them, every, single, order, could, be, put, in, the, que.

That was DAMN useful.

wrote:Terrain was very important in Starcraft. Higher elevation made stuff miss half the time when they shot at you, and choke points could make or break battles.

Little more than minor abstracted magic walls.

TA did it better, Hills had a SHAPE, some things could climb them, some couldn't, shooting over a hill could be done with some weapons, with other more direct fire weapons there were serious cover issues. That was fantastic stuff right there.

wrote:Starcraft didn't really have sea units, since sea units tend to suck in games (just stay away from the water). But it's land and air units were all very different and important for different purposes.

Star craft air units were NOT different.

TA style air units ARE, they are noticably more fragile, insanely fast, hard to hit, and fly around like actual planes instead of moving like guys just magically walking on a higher level of the battle field.

The star craft approach was an abstract and arbitrary differentiation between two categories of unit. "Air" units could just as easily have been "Magic Spirit" units. All they did different was walk through walls and get targeted by labelled AA weapons.

wrote:Without those abilities all you can do is attack or move. And that's pretty boring. Units can't be very interesting if all they do is move and attack. I mean how much depth can you really have if you don't have any abilities?

You just don't give out stupid gimicks that require ambidexterous two mouse at once click jugglers. Units have distinctly different attacks to each other, distinctly different roles, modes of movement, attributes and even special abilities.

You just don't have to trundle out the lame-o clickfest menu every time.

Those sort of interfaces for abilities are fvcking dead to me. Heck I hated them while they were the cutting edge.

wrote:There was a supply cap of 200, but you very rarely if ever hit it. As far as huge battles, you could have battles between like 20 hydralisks, 35 marines, 10 medics, 6 lurkers, 60 zerglings and 4 siege tanks and have all those units attacking and firing on the screen at once.

Wow. Really. Less than a hundred units a side at once, wow (and no with star craft resolutions and you know, no zooming, I suspect you WOULDN'T fit them all on screen at once).

Now TA and friends have unit caps, per player in the range of 500-1000. Thats not "supply" thats total number of individual whatevers. In TA you could have huge piles of those on screen at once. Now with SC you can have them ALL on screen at once.

SC has some hefty requirements to do that, but it can infact do it and its great that it does. TA for all your complaining was fast as all heck and ran smoothly on just short of anything so I don't see where you're going...

wrote:In starcraft you could see the minimap and see the tactical map at the same time. So obviously no need to zoom.

Two words.

Customizable Interface.

And like I said. Mini map separate, multi step ugly process for getting places.

wrote:Starcraft was a lot faster. Click on minimap, done. I dont' need to zoom out, then zoom in and all that other BS.

I hate to pull professional qualifications but I did a whole 6 month long 3rd year course on GUI junk.

Wheel out, find target, wheel in, already on site, find your targets and do your things.

Find target on mini map. Move cursor to mini map. Click mini map. Maybe scroll (mini map resolution accuracy is low). Move cursor BACK to the real action. Find targets and do things.

Seriously. Thats massively slower and harder. Franks always telling you that any math process bigger than adding two numbers is too hard in D&D. Well I'm telling you that any process involving more than a single smooth action with the mouse is so complex you can't even explain it to most people.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1177982823[/unixtime]]
Star craft air units were NOT different.

Um... yes they are.

Here's a rundown of the air units.

Zerg

Mutalisk: General purpose air unit. Good ofr a lot of things but needs to be massed to have much effect, has bouncy attack that hits multiple targets at once.

Scourge: self destructing anti-air unit. Very fragile. Needs to have other units lead to soak while they move in for the kill. Requires intense micromanagement so you dont' lose too many scourge on one unit.

Guardian: Air to ground artillery. No air to air attack.

Devourer: Slow rate of fire, but spreads an area effect acid spores. Acid spores accumulate on targets (up to 9) and each spore adds +1 to damage dealt. Since devs have a slot attack, they don't function well with their own spores, but combine it wtih a mutalisks bouncing attack and you get a great combo.

Overlord: basic zerg detector, farm unit and transport. No attacks. Becaues you have so many, zerg can execute mass drops where they can effectively transport and drop their entire fighting force.

Terran air

Wraith: very fragile, has a cloaking field. weak air to ground, medium air to air.

Valkyrie: Air or air only, but has a massive spread of missiles, capabile of hitting several bunched units with splash damage.

Dropship: basic transport. Slow and vulnerable.

Science vessel: Had no attack, but could detect cloaked units, and had a defensive shield it could put around a unit to protect it for a time, also had EMP shockwave and irradiate.

Battlecruiser: slow as shit, has a long range cannon that uses energy and blows up stuff. Also has a weak laser. Excellent damage soaker, but weak offense.

Protoss

Scout: basic air combat unit, reasonably tough with a very weak air to ground.

Corsair: Has a super fast attack that deals low damage, but it deals splash damage, making corsairs nasty in large packs. Also has a disruption web ability.

Observer: cloaked detection unit.

Shuttle: swift transport, faster than dropships, but could only transport a few protoss units at a time.

Carrier: powerful long range artillery that launches fighters. Capable of inflicting large amounts of damage, also capable of having its fighters attack while the carrier it self is moving. which leads to excellent hit and run capability. Carriers can damage air and ground equally making them a very versatile unit.

Arbiter: Cloaks all units around it (except itself). Has a power to teleport units to it, and another stasis field ability.

Now, all those units do things differently and have separate flavors to them. I severely doubt that TA air units were anywhere near as interesting or varied.

TA style air units ARE, they are noticably more fragile, insanely fast, hard to hit, and fly around like actual planes instead of moving like guys just magically walking on a higher level of the battle field.

That's true... but so what? We're playing these games for strategy and tactics and not realism.

The problem with air units like that is that you have very little micro control over them. They just sort of go on bombing runs and do their thing and that's it.

You just don't give out stupid gimicks that require ambidexterous two mouse at once click jugglers. Units have distinctly different attacks to each other, distinctly different roles, modes of movement, attributes and even special abilities.

Bu that's actually part of the skill of the game and further distinguishes units. See you've got to play a balance of things. Special ability units are generally "better" than base combat units, but the drawback is that you've got to activate the ability to do anything. So it's a challenge to your multitasking capabilities.

Hard? Yes... but then it's supposed to be a game of skill.

Also all good players used the hotkeys, not actually clicking a menu icon. So for all your complaints it only shows you didn't play the game long enough to get remotely good enough to judge its balance. Nobody ever went to that little menu at the bottom right and clicked an icon. If you wanted to psistorm someone, you'd select your templar, hit t (the hotkey for psistorm), then left click where you wanted to storm. It was incredibly fast and efficient.

I hate to pull professional qualifications but I did a whole 6 month long 3rd year course on GUI junk.

Wheel out, find target, wheel in, already on site, find your targets and do your things.

Depends on how fast zooming takes. If it's a slow zoom out, you're wasting time waiting for it to zoom in and out. If it happens fast, it's easy to get disoriented.

Find target on mini map. Move cursor to mini map. Click mini map. Maybe scroll (mini map resolution accuracy is low). Move cursor BACK to the real action. Find targets and do things.

Well you should alreay know where the target is on the minimap, that's not even a big issue. Moving the cursor and clicking is very fast. If you did it right you didn't have to scroll much, and anyway your scrolling was done wtih the arrow keys.

Oddly enough for all the applauding you give to TA, I have heard very little of any balance in the game. Which leads me to believe it was probably another command and conquer style uberunit massing game.

TA if I remember right was the game where they came up with a new unit every week or something like that. I can't see that being balanced at all. It's cool, but it's not going to produce a very balanced game. Not to mention you end up with more units than you even want.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

RC wrote:If you beat him with a 30 zergling rush in a PvZ game, then he wasn't the top Korean player. He probably wasn't even anywhere near pro level. Pro players are insanely good at that game, and I'm not even talking about top pros. He probably was just lying to you when he said he was the best.

I mean, I put a lot of hours into that game, but pro players totally kicked my ass.

Most korean pros didn't even play on battle.net, they played on some special server called gamei that had all this sort of anti-map hack software and stuff.

I played him in a Korean internet cafe in Osaka, Japan. My Korean friend told me about him one day when I came in and I just had to ask him for a friendly game.

Since he didn't speak English I don't actually know if he was the top player at the time, but that was what my friend was telling me. Heck, it was just nice to use a little US-style aggression for Awesome, since it can't be used for Good.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1177991663[/unixtime]]
Um... yes they are.

No really, they weren't.

Doing a smoke and mirrors run down of random stuff they do is meaningless. They all could have been called "magic wall walkers that just sorta sit there in the sky" and all those traits wouldn't have changed.

Flying around fast, moving in different patterns and ways, and yeah you know GOING ON BOMBING RUNS (and cool strafing runs and dog fights) isn't JUST cool its DIFFERENT to the ways ground units behave, which makes for different reasons to have them over ground units and different ways and reasons to use them.

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1177991663[/unixtime]]
I severely doubt that TA air units were anywhere near as interesting or varied.

Oddly TA did have quiet a range, something like five or six per faction and they managed to simultaneously cover the same categories and roles but in DIFFERENT and exciting ways. Certainly Supreme commander continues that (and a bit extra).

Supreme uses what, 1 base scout, 1 base fighter, 1 basic bomber, 1 basic carrier, 1 skirmisher, 1 torpedo bomber, 1 advanced fighter, one advanced bomber, one advanced carrier and maybe an advanced skirmisher, AND two factions have giant flying leviathan thingies.

And accross three factions they all manage to be just a bit different and interesting, with a few special abilities thrown in that DON'T require mindless clicking to activate.

The problem with air units like that is that you have very little micro control over them. They just sort of go on bombing runs and do their thing and that's it.

In an RTS micro control is generally bad, Star Craft is the great grand daddy example of THAT old chestnut.

But despite that TA air units were safely under your control, none of the sit on air pads, or fly around all unclickable and bomb arbitrary points like an orbital strike power the way some games did it. You could select them and que any combination of any order in the game on them.

You could take a fleet of aircraft and throw it in a big lump right at the enemy base and that would be OK, but if you wanted to you could que a travel route around major defenses, come in back, que a bunch of targets starting with AA defenses, and then priority targets like commanders, factories or ground/sea defenses (to cover your other forces arrival). And the smooth interface and queing let you do all that in moments in ways that Star Craft NEVER could even if you sat on top of your units and directed their every action personally in real time.

Bu that's actually part of the skill of the game and further distinguishes units. See you've got to play a balance of things. Special ability units are generally "better" than base combat units, but the drawback is that you've got to activate the ability to do anything.

No, that is not skill, its sucky game design.

Why the heck do I have to be there for my protoss wizard dude to zap an incoming horde of zerglings (who don't so much need their boss to activate their "bite shit" power)?

Regardless of that what effect does it have on the game? It means that for some players, and against any simple rush from a player with similar reflexes let me suggest ALL players, may as well not have any powers that require arbitrarily complex and time consuming activation.

So it's a challenge to your multitasking capabilities.

Controlling up to 1000 units of land, sea, and air craft with an easy interface and qued orders to time an effective attack on a similarly complex force while keeping my production rates on track for future attacks and dealing with who knows what multiple fronts of battle is a challenge to my multitasking abilities.

Having to select each "wizard" character individually activate their separate abilities on separate targets then run back through as each cooldown timer clicks off and do it again is a challenge to my sanity.

Also all good players used the hotkeys, not actually clicking a menu icon.

That STILL required individual selection of the unit, a timed key press followed by clicking the target. ANY manual activation of abilities is massively problematic.

And don't talk to me about hotkeys, TA was KING of hot keys...

Like I said, micro management like that is a BAD thing, I may as well not have 5 guys with lightning storm if I need to do that because something that DOESN'T need to do that, like zerglings, will eat them before I can do it. And I'm not exactly alone in that.

Depends on how fast zooming takes. If it's a slow zoom out, you're wasting time waiting for it to zoom in and out. If it happens fast, it's easy to get disoriented.

Seriously, flex finger out, flex finger in, its smooth, its easy, its fast, it'll be taught in GUI classes starting yesterday.

Its also pretty much the one feature of Supreme that impressed me as an actual real advance on TA.

But with the stasis that RTS's have been in since TA what with them working off the Blizzard model of "tiny incremental advances other people did first spread over years of time with arbitrary feature loss at the same or faster rate" just being TA with zooming and new factions is good enough.

Well you should alreay know where the target is on the minimap, that's not even a big issue.

Knowing its there and finding the right spot to move the cursor to are really rather different things when examined closely.

If you did it right you didn't have to scroll much, and anyway your scrolling was done wtih the arrow keys.

So? You scrolled, you wasted time, thats a game winning resource AND something that you'd rather not be wasting anyway (though if you're playing star craft you mustn't value it highly).

Oddly enough for all the applauding you give to TA, I have heard very little of any balance in the game.

Oh, balance, I could talk about that. And its great, heck I'd swear talking about resource models touches on TA's far superior balance, but, well, it wins out so massively just on INTERFACE alone (which is a massive deal in RTS) that frankly I didn't think I'd need to even go there...

Star craft was fundamentally flawed in BALANCE terms starting from its poor resource and production model, running through unpleasant interractions of its clunky interface with a "some guys gotta click" balance elements and gameplay in general, its combined arms stuff was a shallow joke, and rolling on to the infamous zerg rush issues.

TA's resource/production model is just plain beautiful, the recycling tacked on to it was a nice addition as well, the interface has a minimal impact on unit, factional or general gameplay balance, no suckers powers or tactics were based off having to BE there, and/or in three other places at the same, and rushes in TA were cool because they were not only more than the be all and end all of game play they were also a viable strategy that could readily be survived by even BOTH sides to see FURTHER strategies and game play proceed.

That sorta stuff just didn't happen in star craft. Whether the rush was early game or late, one big encounter would tip the economic scales forever, and thats even playing on maps with piles of additional resources because no one ever played on maps the designers intended for less than twice as many players as you actually had.

TA if I remember right was the game where they came up with a new unit every week or something like that. I can't see that being balanced at all.

Units generally came in PAIRS, one for each faction. ARM got a mobile anti nuke? CORE got either the same sorta thing or something else cool but non vital.

What WASN'T so great for balance was the at the time utterly fantastical support for MODDING the game and introducing third party units.

But that was still both revolutionary and totally cool, its not like you HAD to play TA with star wars units if you didn't want to...