What Games DO You Like?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Tequila Sunrise
Journeyman

What Games DO You Like?

Post by Tequila Sunrise »

I know the point of TGD is to bitch and moan about stuff, but just out of horrible cat-killing curiosity, I want to know what games you like. RPGs, board games, video games, whatever. If it makes you feel less dirty, you can mention the few flaws of your favorite games.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Shadowrun (4E) and D&D (3.0), both houseruled.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

D&D 3.5 for RPGs.

As far as board games go, I like a lot of Steve Jackson's stuff like Illuminati and Munchkin. I like Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Another favorite is poker.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

RPGs

Anything Dream Pod 9 with the silouhette engine (flaw: system is a well oiled machine, works so well and so pradictably its actually a little boring. Also has the flaw that all "pilot" games its focus can narrow to being little more than a wargame were you name your pieces)

D&D 4th

buffy/angle/witch game system games

Ironclaw/Jadeclaw -> this game has a kind of stupid premise, but the system is fun because everything is an opposed roll.

Boardgames

a touch of evil
zombies
carcarassone
catan
citadels
agricola

wargames
epic 40k
warmaster <- These two games are so much better than the 35mm standard warhammer games it drives me fucking nuts that they were only supported for 20 minutes then kicked to the curb. Both are about a million times more interesting tactically and much more fun to play. Buts its mini's gaming so people want to paint super detailed mini's and painting small stuff is "hard." Well you know what if your going to play a crappy wargame that is won 95% of the time by knowing your opponents special rules and countering them with proper weapon selection before even begging to play you can't bitch about the rules or balance to your shitty game.

Ok, that enough ranting for now.
erik
King

Post by erik »

RPG:
DnD 3.x
Anything Deadlands (with houserules! Preferably savage lands rules I spose)
Hollow Earth Expedition

I have played with probably >20 different rpg systems, usually had fun despite their failings, but the above are my poisons of choice.

Board games:
Arkham Horror
Betrayal on the house on the hill
various Rio Grande crap
Battlestations
Blue Moon City
Carcassone
honestly too many to list, but in the last few years I play those most.
Last edited by erik on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

RPG

3.5 Regularly House Ruled
Star Wars Saga Edition

Board Games
Zombies
Various Card Games (you live in Indiana you WILL play cards)
Chess

Computer/Video Games
Various RPGs (favorite so far Legend of the Dragoon/Final Fantsy Tactics Lion's War)
Warcraft III Frozen throne (DOTA)
Warhammer 40K DOW
Various 2 D and 3d Fightan Games (favorite games to play out side of RPGs)
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Halo and Call of Duty
Marvel Ultimate Alliance and various games like it (older gauntlet legends, dynasty warriors, xmen legends, etc)
Last edited by MGuy on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

With the right DM/GM, I’ll play almost anything, at least once.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

tzor wrote:With the right DM/GM, I’ll play almost anything, at least once.
This, although it has caused me to play palladium for which I feel eternal shame.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

RPG's:

Arcana Evolved House Ruled. (A 3.x variant)
Feng Shui
Iron Heroes (despite it's half made nature it can be fun)
DnD 3.x house ruled
I'd like to run Shadowrun before I decided anything but it looks nice.
NWoD core can work well for somethings. Like zombie oneshots.

BoardGames/Wargames

Arkham Horror
Go
I'd like to play shogi some more but I think I'd like it
Warmachine/Hordes
Warhammer 40k
Warhammer Fantasy

Computer/VideoGames
Too many to count, I'll just list a few

Warhammer 40k DOW 2
Warcraft 3 TFT custom maps
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia and Symphony of the night
Xenogears
FF 9, 10
Tactics Ogre
Devil May Cry
Megaman 1, 2, Megaman X 1, 2, Megaman Zero 2, Megaman ZX advent (I need to play Megaman 3 and Megaman X 3)
Super Mario 64
Team Fortress and it's sequel TF2

There's more, those are just some off the top of my head.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

P&PRPG:

Shadowrun 4E (EotM preferred, of course)
D&D 3.5, 3+Tome (Pathfinder as a dim shadow of the first)

Computer:

Portal
Planescape: Torment
Bunch of stuff on the SNES/NES, mostly JRPGs
Warcraft series
Aion
TES: Morrowind and Oblivion
Savage
DoD, TF2, other stuff

This is just the list of stuff I've played and like enough to potentially play again/more.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I'm more of a PC gamer than anything.

Dominions 3 is my 'go to' game, occasionally cycling in Civ4. I keep Oblivion on my computer because the potential is there, but the wonky leveling system always turns me off in the end (started playing through 3 times, though).

Lately, I've been playing Majesty 2...but the game desperately needs an expansion pack.

Sweet jeebus, I miss not having a decent shooter to play (whined about it on my blog recently), although SoF2 the latest Quake, and a few others are still on my hard drive
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I like 3.5, but I'll play Pathfinder over it. I also like WFRP 2e. I'd like to give Mutants and Masterminds a try as well.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

AD&D, OD&D, BD&D, MtG (pre-7th), Hero Quest, Catan, Zombies, Munchkin, Mage Knight, DDM 1.5m, WH40k 3rd edition, Gold Box SSI games, RTS's, Yahtzee, Rook, Uno, Bridge, Cribbage, Texas Hold'em, Clue, Monopoly, Legend of the Red Dragon, Barren Realms Elite, Falcon's Eye, Rogue (Quaff what?)......
Last edited by shadzar on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

RPGs:

D&D 3.0 or later.(with varying degrees of houserules depending on group/DM campaign/edition)
Champions/ HERO
Feng Shui
Everway
Amber Diceless

Board/Card Games:

Probably my top three are:
Scrabble - this works as both a casual family fun game and as a brutal timeclocked tournament contest.
Magic: the Gathering (although I've been clean for years and have no intention of relapsing, it is an awesome game)
Settlers of Cataan (surprisingly deep when played with people who understand it well, and always just fun to tease people who have wood for sheep.
Also loads of fun are
Illuminati
Most of the stuff Cheapass games has put out
Most of the variant Icehouse games (although Icehouse itself is pretty lame - the dozens of open-source games invented to play with those pyramids and collected on the looney labs website are full of awesome)
Gamemaster Series: Axis and Allies (classic) and The Game Formerly Known as Shogun. (Sadly the setup and play time on these makes it rare to be able to actually play them)
Puerto Rico, and the simplified version: San Juan
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Games I've played the most recently:

1) Dominion (the card game)
2) Arkham Horror (Kingsport)
3) D&D (Tome of Awesome)
4) Hacker (the SJG, house ruled)
5) Catan
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

RPGs:
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 (Tome)
Shadow Run (4th Edition)
Chimera*
HERO
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

Computer Games:
Age of Wonders
Quake II
Neverwinter Nights
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Starcraft: Brood War
Diablo 2
Final Fantasy VII
Fable
Warcraft III
Halo: Combat Evolved
Bioshock

Table Top Games:
Wartorn*
Battletech
  • Strategic Operations
    Combat Operations
    Technical Manual
    Tactical Operations
Chess
Risk
Monopoly

Console Games
Chrono Trigger
Earth Bound
Ogre Battle
Mario Cart
Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time**
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Star Fox 64
Star Fox
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Hate With a Passion: Illusions of Gaia

* Custom games I designed and play with my family.
** Ocarina of Time holds a special place in my heart, because when my brother and I were playing and first got captured and imprisoned by the Guredos, standing on the window sill, we were so immersed that we were craning our necks to see around the wooden window awning, and for a second didn't realize we couldn't do that because it was a game projection from a TV screen and no ammount of us moving would change the perspective shown by the TV. It was cool.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
deathdealingjawa
Apprentice

Post by deathdealingjawa »

Favorite RPG systems to played:
3.5+Tome
SR4 (want to try it with the franks rules)

Favorite RPG systems for character generation:
Champions

Board game:
Warhammer: Fantasy

My favorite Video Games in no particular order:
Power Stone 2 (DC)
Castle Crashers (x360)
Grim Fandango (PC)
Planescape: Tourment (PC)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

RPGs:
DnD 3.x; Star Wars 2nd Ed.; Hackmaster; Rifts

Board Games:
Zombies, Catan (+ Cities, + Seafarers, + The River, + Fishing, + random starting board with exploration), Citadels, Acquire, Ticket to Ride, Once Upon a Time, Infernal Contraption, Fluxx, The B-Movie Card Game (specifically Bell Bottomed Badasses on the Mean Streets of Funk + Kung Fu Samurai on Giant Robot Island); The Great Space Race; Heroscape;
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

RPGs: D&D 3.X, CoC, M&M, Paranoia, Gatecrasher

Video Games: Oblivion, Portal, Braid, Planescape: Torment, WoW, Chrono Trigger, Halo 1, Smash Brother Melee/Brawl, Starfleet Command, Starcraft, Champions Online Character Generator, Super Mario World 3, Final Fantasy VIII
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Settlers of Cataan (surprisingly deep when played with people who understand it well, and always just fun to tease people who have wood for sheep.
Truly, trading wood for sheep is the most enjoyable part of playing the game.

Nothing like Bestiality jokes to turn a strategy game into a real community builder.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'll give most things a shot, I kinda collect game knowledge.

RPGs
  • D&D 3.X
  • Werewolf (so long as the ST isn't an elitest douchebag and realizes there's nothing wrong occasional hack and slash)
  • Mage (in concept.)
  • Mutants and Masterminds
  • Rifts
  • I'm starting to enjoy Runequest. Guess I just had to find a character that I like.
Video Games
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • God of War (I still need to get a PS3...)
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Guitar Hero
  • Doom
Card Games (collectible and otherwise)
  • Magic
  • Hecatomb (why'd it have to die?)
  • Munchkin (good for getting the munchkin urges out once in a while)
  • Lunch/Beer Money
  • C23 (think magic in space)
Minis
  • HorrorClix (again, why'd it have to die?)
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

RPG
DnD v3.5
ADnD v2 (need Minotaurs from DragonLance and kits; Players Options is a bonus)
Mutants and Masterminds (incl fantasy genre)
Ars Magica
Street Fighter
Paranoia
anything I can minmax/overclock

Board
War of the Ring
Kung Fu Fighting
Pit (or Wheedle)
Carcasonne: the Castle
Risk 2210
Tigris and Euphrates
Acquire
Bloodbowl
Last edited by mean_liar on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

PnP RPGs:
  • D&D 3.5
  • Weapons of the Gods
  • Teenagers from Outer Space
  • CyberGeneration
  • Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium)
  • Fireborn
PC RPGs:
  • TES: Daggerfall
  • TES: Morrowind
  • TES: Oblivion
  • Fallout 1
  • Fallout 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Planescape: Torment
  • The Witcher
  • Aion
  • Diablo
  • Diablo II
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Dragon Age: Origins
Console RPGs:
  • Lunar: The Silver Star
  • Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
  • Cosmic Fantasy 2
  • Final Fantasy 2 (US)
  • Final Fantasy 3 (US)
  • Grandia 2
  • Lufia
  • Earthbound
  • Secret of Mana
  • Legend of Mana
Last edited by NineInchNall on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

P&P:
Classroom Deathmatch
DnD 3.5/3Tome
SR4
MnM
Wushu
Feng Shui
Spirit of the Century

Tabletop/Card:
Apples to Apples
Munchkin
The Amazing Labyrinth
Yomi

Vidya:
Super Robot Wars series
Disgaea series
No More Heroes
Street Fighter IIT
Guilty Gear XX
Forza Motorsport 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee/Brawl
Jump! Ultimate Stars
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
King of Colosseum II
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

P&P Games:

Mouseguard: I wasn't interested in playing it and I still haven't, but I've been a bystander to a couple of games before and people who don't normally play P&P RPGs love it. I understand the rules and I do want to try it, but only with other newbies.
D&D 3.0E: Accept no substitutes. I'll play 3.5E if it's the only game around, but I demand a strict limit on books. In D&D 3.0E I'll play with pretty much any 3.0E book ever written except for Magic of Faerun and even some third-party material like Kingdoms of Kalamar or Quintessential Monk
Mutants and Masterminds d20: Like I said in another thread, the kinds of games you can run with this system are actually pretty disgustingly narrow for the superhero genre. Fortunately they're the games I want to play.
SR4: This game kicks ass. I love the magic system. Unfortunately, I haven't even come close to figuring out the Matrix rules. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I kind of just space out the first time someone mentions 'I examine the node' until that minigame is over. Needless to say, the AR rules are a godsend.
Teenagers From Outer Space: Oh geez, I haven't played this game in years and I've only played it online. I remember it nearly perfectly simulating 90's anime comedies. I don't think I'll play it again because that genre is starting to wear on my nerves.

Traditional Games:
Monopoly: This game is not a good game. But it's a fun game because it lets unskilled players have a chance of winning and pretty much everyone knows how to play.
Scrabble: It's like Monopoly only it's actually good.
Pictionary: This game is funny to play with people who can't actually draw.
Dragonstrike: It's really hard to appreciate how well-made this game is. It is entirely completable by noobs who don't have the slightest clue what roleplaying is but when you actually introduce roleplaying to the mix it's like a lightswitch comes on.

Games:
I like platformers, RPGs, and strategy games. In the rare case I can find an RPG that can combine all three of them (like Valkyria Chronicles) I have a nerdgasm. But lets go into individual categories:

Platformers:
Contra: Damn good game. It's challenging without being soulcrushingly hard and the music just kicks ass.

Ninja Gaiden 3 (NES)

Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure: This is a dual-genre game; a puzzle game and an Old Skool platformer. It's extremely fast-paced without relying on twitch reflexes. It relies more on resource management and endurance. Henry controls very fluently and has a wide variety of moves at his disposal and the Puzzle Realm portion keeps you on your toes.

Ninja Gaiden Black: Oh hell yes. Now this is a game. Requires you to be on your toes at ALL times and take advantage of every single weakness in the enemies' attack patterns. Wide variety of ultra-violent moves where you go through enemies like butter but your foes are still challenging.

God of War: See Ninja Gaiden Black. Has more emphasis on traditional platforming elements. Kratos relies less on recovery items and more on magic. Which is a good thing.

Super Mario 64: I can't tell you how much this game blew me away as a 13-year old on Christmas. I would often forget about the stage objectives and just screw around the scenery, playing with all of Mario's moves and enjoying the subtle beauty of the game. The underwater city in Wet Dry World was one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had in gaming.

RPGs:

Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, Tactics and 10.

Fallen Games: Final Fantasy 1 just feels too dry and empty to play. It doesn't really feel like I'm playing in a world. I still like Final Fantasy 7, but I can never play it again--the combat system would be the most tedious out of all of the games IMO except for FF8. FF8 is the most miserable fucking game out of the entire series that I have played. The worst thing is that the suckitude of the game doesn't hit you until all at once--the initially sucky elements (the small cast, the incoherent world, the idiotic plot, the incredibly tedious combat system) don't become a problem until after you beat up on Edea.

I sort of liked FFXI but a friend's addiction to that game caused them to get kicked out of Nuclear Power School.

Star Ocean 2: This game has awesome character interaction, something which I feel the later games in the series lack. The plot manages to be quirky without being campy. The later games have a better combat engine but it just lacks the charm of this game.

I have more, but now I'm just dating myself so, that's enough of that.

Also:

CHRONO CROSS FELCHES DEAD KITTENS I better not see any of you fools say that you like that game, or you're dead to me.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.