ideas on how running a kingdom should work

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Frank wrote: Honestly, I don't think we necessarily do. Yes, it is entirely possible for each poptype to have 3 subnumbers (loyalty, numbers, and development) which sum up to the total profit modifier. And then you could undertake various actions or quests to raise those sub numbers. But it's a role playing game, you could honestly just assume that sort of thing and let the MC wing it as to the hows and whys of the Orcs providing a -3 or a +5 in some province or another.
Resolved at game time as opposed to design time? Well, I suppose it's true we're not building a strategy game. We have significantly more flexible input to the system - a human DM. But I am worried that players/DM might start to forget all the things they've decided if the system doesn't encourage them to keep track of it. And if orcs magically switch from being unresty to just plain poor, it might be bad for immersion/increase confusion. Going full out and dividing a modifier into sub-modifiers is potentially bad, depending on how much book-keeping you approve of, but it might be reasonable to encourage DM's and players to write key-words like "Orcs -2; unrest", even if those keywords don't have defined values. Because at some point, the DM is going to flavor text explain to the players why their orcs suck, and then he might just flat out forget what he said next weekend's session.

As for the rest of your response, I think I get what you're saying. I was suggesting a mechanism where the DM/players was supplied with a helpful table of things like, 'sawmill,' and a bonus associated with them. This sort of method, to keep the fluff in line with the numbers, requires you keep track of the completion of these tasks. So I was concerned with a way to do that, and that meant formal infrastrucure, because if the table says sawmill, you need to know how many sawmills you've built, blah blah blah...

But... we don't have to keep track of those things if the way we improve resources is abstract enough. Example: "To improve this resource from X to X+1 it costs: (consult table based on resource type and current value, or apply formula)." When enemies attack these resources, it's just a campaign scale action with some success, and that success is measured in a number. It's not a mission to burn a sawmill. It's a mission to "attack the +3 wood industry". Sawmills can get tossed around in the flavor text, but we don't associate any individual number with a sawmill, so we don't have to worry about tripping over our pretty descriptions.

If it's done that way (and that seems like a pretty good way), we don't have to care about writing down sawmills. Similarly, adding resources to your resource list becomes a simple thing. "Adding this resource to your province production list requires these existing profit modifier types in that province, and costs this much resources."

@Fectin, well... Yes.
+1 (dwarves, orcs) as opposed to {+3 dwarves, -2 orcs} makes it hard to tell what parts of your economy are hurting. Simplification is good, but we don't want to streamline it so much that nobody even cares. Plus, it has real ramifications for gameplay, not just player-fun. Namely, DM's aren't going to be able to be consistent about what's going on inside the player's provinces unless they write it down (okay, in this province, the dwarves are doing great and the orcs are still in revolt). And if the DM's got to write it down to make it make sense, let's just make them separate numbers.

Also, how do players improve their profit checks? If it's harder to improve higher numbers, players are just going to improve every province in turn and they're all going to be equal (this is the optimum solution). If it's as difficult to improve higher numbers as lower numbers, they'll invest in only their safest provinces.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed May 04, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Alright, I'm copy/pasting some stuff from my realm management rules into here, since one of the ideas in this thread let me simplify a sub-system that was in danger of seriously derailing the game due to over-complexity. It's setting-specific and works on 2d6, so flavor text and exact numbers will have to be tweaked to make it work.
The resources that the player actually spends are all just "resources." They can come from anywhere and be spent on anything. In order to gain them, the player has to make a resource roll, which is 2d6+(assorted modifiers)-6. So the player has a roughly 50% chance of losing resources instead of gaining them, all other things being equal.

Every territory automatically has a race that inhabits it. This is a resource. So, for example, Tortoises+2 would give you a reasonable +2 bonus to your roll. You might also have Riotous Crablins-1, or Naga Bandits-2, or Hostile Insects-4. In each of these cases, there's a way to pacify the residents and turn the penalties into bonuses. Some races have a wider range of available bonuses than others. The Insects, for example, would probably go from -4 to +4, while the Naga might go from -2 to +2, and the Crablins from -2 to +1. Some territories will have two or more race resources in them. A race resource can be destroyed, in which case you drive out that population entirely, pushing them into a randomly determined neighboring territory (potentially there's some way to direct them into a specific adjacent territory, so that you can turn a negative race resource into someone else's problem) at the very low end of their resource scale.

Creating a unit requires both a certain number of resource points and a few specific resources, usually Iron+1 or higher and whatever race the unit is made up of. Iron is a natural resource. Typically, a natural resource has a range that has one end on zero. Iron would have 0 to +3, for example, while a negative natural resource like No Water would have -4 to 0. Natural resources can have their modifier increased by building structures like mines or irrigation ditches.

Of course, not every territory is going to have Iron to equip their units, and territories that have huge negative resources like No Water are going to have crippled economies. This is where trade comes in. If a friendly territory has a resource like Iron, they can ship some of it to you. A territory with +3 Iron can supply two other territories with effective +1 Iron, for example, and similarly you can send some of your locals as conscripts to a territory that has Iron in order to be turned into units. A resource like an Oasis can ship out water to help lessen the impact of a No Water territory. Or you could just ship them lots of Runes or something, in which case it's assumed that the bolstered economy allows them to buy food from other territories without the rulers getting involved directly.
There's also a bunch of other stuff about Stability ratings which determine random encounter tables, Power ratings that can be used to quickly resolve minor battles between a single player and an NPC warlord so that you don't have to break out the Mass Combat rules every time one guy decides to invade a neighbor, and a way for the GM to encourage PCs to handle some things personally by going on the adventures themselves to pacify rioting monster races or increase Stability by stabbing unstable things in the face or clear out the forest of Dire Lemmings so that you can put up a sawmill and increase your natural Wood resource by one, instead of paying someone else to do it. Conveniently, this means that if you randomly generate a few starting territories before the PCs are even in the realm management stage, you can look at them as though you were playing realm management, choose how you'll be spending your resources that turn, and instantly you've got adventure seeds. Then, when the PCs take over rulership of the territories themselves (either because the lord they're working for is expanding his borders so he hands some of his takings over to vassals or because the party kills him and takes his stuff), they can actually see the results of their old adventures. That iron mine they cleared of undead shows up as a natural resource in the territory.

EDIT: Just realized trade was a little unclear. When you ship a resource out of your territory, you lose the benefit of that resource for as long as you're shipping it. So if one territory has Iron+3, it can ship Iron+1 to three other territories but its own Iron resource will be at +0.
Last edited by Chamomile on Thu May 05, 2011 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

It's probably best if values like "Orcs" and "Dwarves" are given a mild descriptive flourish to help explain the -2/+2/whatever that is in them. For example, a Gem Mine is all well and good, but a Diamond Mine might give a lower value than a Ruby Mine, because rubies are precious and rare and diamonds are dirt-ass-cheap, and a Mostly Abandoned or Poorly Run (Gem) Mine might give poorer results than a Freshly Tapped or Dwarf-Operated (Gem) Mine (for some reason, dwarves seem to do everything better as long as it involves getting your hands in dirt). Presumably there is a larger story behind everything, but even when referring to it in short-form it would be helpful.
Last edited by Almaz on Thu May 05, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Also, how do players improve their profit checks? If it's harder to improve higher numbers, players are just going to improve every province in turn and they're all going to be equal (this is the optimum solution). If it's as difficult to improve higher numbers as lower numbers, they'll invest in only their safest provinces.
Improving a Resource doesn't give you anything, though. I figure that a good balance is that any time you make a Resource Check, its value is reduced by one after a successful check.

For example, you're looking to hire some Dwarven Berserkers. Your Dwarf Value is a 5. You roll whatever, you succeed on the check, and then your Dwarf Value is reduced to a 4 to represent a loss of able-bodied dwarves, maybe a little bit of unrest due to the menfolk being marched off to war, it doesn't really matter.

The same applies to when you make a check to improve a Resource. The can represent any number of things and I'm perfectly happy letting the DM and players provide the flavor for that.
Also, it should take Resources to improve resources... so, it'd be like... you make a Gems Check, succeed, and throw some gems at the Dwarves. They love gems and they love rulers who feed them gems. Gems -1; Dwarves +1
Sadly, this means that most economies will eventually feed upon themselves until everything is down in the negatives.

I got two ways to combat Resource Entropy:
1) Synergy bonuses for improvements. Generally speaking, if you succeed on your improvement check, you trade one resource for another. If you happen to get a +X on your check, you can choose to either add two to the resource that you're improving or you can forgo losing a point from the resource you're making the check with.
This only applies to Resources with Synergy and the X depends on the two resources. In the case of giving Gems to Dwarves, the synergy bonus is a 2. If you succeed on your Gems Check by 2, you lose 1 Gem and gain 2 Dwarves (Or Gain 1 Dwarf and lose 0 Gems).
Obviously, we want to avoid an infinite loop of Dwarves improving Gems for free and then Gems improving Dwarves for free... so, I'm thinking a DC that scales up faster than the bonuses do.

2) Take Stuff. This game is supposedly built on top of another game which just so happens to be about murdering things and taking their stuff. So, with that in mind, when you or maybe someone you've hired is out adventuring and someone kills a dragon, you can take its Hoard back to your castle and your Treasury Resource increases by X.
Alternatively, you can send the army out and pillage neighboring territories. When they come back, your Treasury Resource is increased by Y.

How often can you make a resource check in a turn/round? I've been assuming 1 per resource... or something relatively limited.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Whoa, Wrathzog. Running off a d20-ish wealth system? I can't say I like that.

For one, your system really doesn't.. lead to much kingdom management. You just have a set of resources, and you can spend those resources for one time benefits. Sometimes those benefits are being able to buy other resources you can spend for benefits you actually want (gems -> dwarves -> dwarf soldiers). And your entropy defeating system doesn't do much to defeat this. It either increases the exchange rate (1 gem -> 2 dwarves, 1 gem -> 3 dwarves...), OR it places a functional minimum on the number of dwarves you have (0 gems -> X dwarves, with DC based on current number of dwarves). If you have a minimum number of dwarves to which you can always replenish yourself, for free... anything you can buy at that minimum is free and spammable.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

While there should be a pillaging mechanic that lets you get one-time wealth influxes by blowing up resources, I cannot agree that resource pillaging should be th default state of affairs. Maybe gem mines should eventually deplete, but not in five fucking months.

-Username17
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

Wrathzog wrote: Improving a Resource doesn't give you anything, though. I figure that a good balance is that any time you make a Resource Check, its value is reduced by one after a successful check.
no offense, but that's fucking retarded.
that might work as a system for tracking uses of stockpiles (except I don't see why that would require a check), but it in no way resembles any kind of activity overtime.

I mean, yeah, the amount of iron ore left in the mine is reduced by mining, but iron in the ground is of no interest, once it's dug up it stays up.
so for iron actually avalible for use (which I assume the Iron+x represents) to decrease it has to be used faster then it's mined.
crops grow back every year (or x number of turns)
population grows constantly under normal circumstances, although it may not be fast enough to be relevant to the time scale we're working on.
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Resource depletion needs to be a rare event.

So it needs to occur in one of two ways.

1) It is a somewhat rare item on the "random event table" and once every 10 or so "big map turns" (or whatever your strategic turn is) it turns up and tells you "a resource somewhere depletes!, start rolling to find out where!". Similarly there should be a "wild resource appears in the long grass!" event to balance that out.

2) Resource depletion is something you do, but are motivated to do on some sort of rare basis as part of special events. The evil dark lord of Zognargog depletes his gem mines and much of his slave population with some hard core mining action, but he does it to blow them up in return for a super gem stone or something that he needs to implement plan 9 from outerspace or something.

I think I prefer 1. If 2 were too good people would just do that all the time, and 9 plans from outerspace might be too many already, let alone plan 30 from outerspace blowing up your rice paddies.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Novembermike
Master

Post by Novembermike »

Most of these ideas seem like they're going to hit a wall when people have to actually do the math by hand...
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

PhoneLobster wrote:Resource depletion needs to be a rare event.

So it needs to occur in one of two ways.

1) It is a somewhat rare item on the "random event table" and once every 10 or so "big map turns" (or whatever your strategic turn is) it turns up and tells you "a resource somewhere depletes!, start rolling to find out where!". Similarly there should be a "wild resource appears in the long grass!" event to balance that out.
Depending on whether you want holdings to gradually increase or gradually decrease, factoring in how much you expect the player's campaign to influence gains/losses, there can be more or less resource gain versus resource depletion events.

#2 is a bit extreme though - at least, I think what you're suggesting is trying to be extreme - the bonus should be sacrificed for something essentially transitory. It should be, basically, a bad and risky option - but one that people nonetheless take because their livelihood is on the line NOW and they can turn their swords into plowshares AFTER they win the war. Your interpretation and my interpretation might be the same though.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Then a few (a lot of) questions.

1) What is the Action Economy for kingdom scale? What does a turn represent in terms of time? What actions can you perform in a turn and how many times can you perform those actions?

2) What is the point of having more points in a Resource? What is the impact of getting a high result on a Resource check? Do we get access to better Things, more Things, or both?
In the case of higher checks = better units, do you declare what you're spending resources on before or after the check?

3) How do resources Change? How often can change happen and how easy is it for players to manipulate those changes?

4) Where is the incentive for the players to do anything other than just constantly wank out territorial improvements? Is it just expected that the DM sends larger and larger Orcish invasions after you every year?
norms29 wrote:that might work as a system for tracking uses of stockpiles (except I don't see why that would require a check), but it in no way resembles any kind of activity overtime.
It also simulates Upkeep. It's probably easier to visualize with military units. When you make Dwarven Berserkers, they need a constant supply of Dwarves, Food, and Iron. All the logistics gets handled automagically and you don't have to worry about it.
When your Dwarven Berserkers get annihilated in a battle, you get all of your resources back.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

This is seeming to get closer and closer to Warcraft. D&D is more like WoW.

Game On,
fbmf
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

There is great merit in saying little, rarely. I find myself constantly giving fbmf's opinions great weight based solely on their rarity and brevity.

That and he owns the place. :p

PREFACE: All IMO. Continuing...

I think that the focus ought to be on action and overcoming obstacles, rather than building abstract numbers associated with power. Talking about building armies and working resources is all a little bit too "hard", when I would hope - as a player - that the action should be on employing my faction to deal with an in-game issue, rather than simply building it up.

Too much emphasis on building and you do end up with Warcraft. The action should be the focus with build-up occurring almost as a level-up mechanic, just like the relationship between 1-on-1 adventuring and downtime. Your hero (assuming this isn't Ars Magica) doesn't grow powerful from downtime, they grow powerful from deeds. Preparing and taking strategic actions and what-not is one thing and deserves a place, but over-emphasize that and I'm sort of left wondering why your hero doesn't just skip adventures and train in the dojo to become awesome, just like his kingdom.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Wrathzog wrote:Then a few (a lot of) questions.

1) What is the Action Economy for kingdom scale? What does a turn represent in terms of time? What actions can you perform in a turn and how many times can you perform those actions?

2) What is the point of having more points in a Resource? What is the impact of getting a high result on a Resource check? Do we get access to better Things, more Things, or both?
In the case of higher checks = better units, do you declare what you're spending resources on before or after the check?

3) How do resources Change? How often can change happen and how easy is it for players to manipulate those changes?

4) Where is the incentive for the players to do anything other than just constantly wank out territorial improvements? Is it just expected that the DM sends larger and larger Orcish invasions after you every year?
I have already thought about a few of these for my mod. May be useful for discussion here.

1. Was going to go seasonal, so 3 month turns for kingdom related actions. The base system is going to be 2e, with some adventures and quests, supplemented by kindom activities in addition to normal downtime. My plan is to try and encourage standard adventuring to sync up with quests wherever possible.

Was going to allow a number of basic political actions per turn. 3 per 'noble' or player character in the domain, for ease of bookkeeping, 1 per henchman. Administration was going to take 1 action minumum, so a Lord can leave a henchman in charge of his kindgom if he is required to leave for any particular reason.

2. Some domain features were going to require constant upkeep. An initial and ongoing cost. Domain spells would fall into this category as well as unit upkeep (though upkeep costs for standard armies should be kept low). Without further tinkering, I have already realised that my mod will force players to buff up their territories and then expand until they runn out of opposition, or run into an enemy that effectively becomes an income sink.

Generic kingdom attributes bought at any time. Things like fortifications, temples, industries, armies, etc.

Special kingdom attributes I'm not so sure of. If every provice can have them, they cease being special. I was probably going to limit their availability to chargen, then make others available for capture during the campaign, to be handed out as an adventure award or as an award for successful diplomacy with an NPC nation. Í might look into it a bit more, but I want to finish the basics of the mod first.

3. Are you talking about production, all attributes of a kingdom or something else here?

4. I can see this being a problem. The only way I can think of to get around this is to force territorial expansion. One a province is maxxed out, so to speak, that's about the only thing left to do. I had initially thought I could divide my map into 40ish provinces...I'm now considering pulling that number back to about 25-30 max in order to bring about an end-game within the campaign length I'm aiming for.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Mean_Liar wrote:Too much emphasis on building and you do end up with Warcraft.
I don't agree with the Warcraft comment but I do agree that we're spending a lot of time on Social improvements and logistics at the moment. I figure that if we can get this part of the game to work, it gives us more time to work on the funner parts of the game... like war, politicking, espionage, and sabotage. It also provides a base for how all the rest of that stuff would work.
Winnah wrote:Was going to allow a number of basic political actions per turn. 3 per 'noble' or player character in the domain, for ease of bookkeeping, 1 per henchman. Administration was going to take 1 action minumum, so a Lord can leave a henchman in charge of his kindgom if he is required to leave for any particular reason.
I like this. Delegating and splitting responsibilities is important.
3. Are you talking about production, all attributes of a kingdom or something else here?
Attributes... but, really, it's both? Specifically, I'm looking for the process for improving a province's resources and what events would decrease a resource?

I have a province, and it has Gems +2, what can a player do to make it a +3 or a +4? How often can a player attempt to improve upon Gems?

Alternatively, if I have Wood +X, what kind of things can decrease that number? I've read Stripping a Resource for Temporary Bonuses with Permanent Loss. There is also a table filled with Natural disasters that we roll on occasionally. This would include things like "IRON SHORTAGE" or "FOREST FIRES" or "ZOMBIES INVADE! OH NO"
Also, rival nations may have abilities that include Inciting Citizens to Revolt or Causing an entire generation of sheep to be stillborn.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Having carefully considered it, I really hate all these resource systems. They're not crunchy enough to be independently fun, and they're too finnicky for casual play. The fun parts of an infrastructure system are all basically fantasy shopping. The systems here are basically fantasy chore lists. There is a perfectly good system for running businesses already (good enough, anyway); if you want resource generation, use that. If you want want the minigame to be fun, cheat: your holding produces double gold for stronghold building, or can generate leadership bonuses instead of profit.
If you want single sentence plot hooks for minor bonuses, write some goddamn plot hooks with minor bonuses.

Edit: not trying to be a dick. Pretend the above was written politely.
Last edited by fectin on Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I think a concept we have to get right down to is that the Running of Kingdom mini-game isn't something that is done consistently for an entire gaming session, but is more like playing chess by mail. You spend a few moments setting up all the things you want your empire to do, and then you spend the rest of the time either smoothing things over with politics, supervising with stick in case monsters pop up for some reason, or doing some adventuring since everything is running well.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

fectin wrote:Having carefully considered it, I really hate all these resource systems. They're not crunchy enough to be independently fun, and they're too finnicky for casual play. The fun parts of an infrastructure system are all basically fantasy shopping. The systems here are basically fantasy chore lists. There is a perfectly good system for running businesses already (good enough, anyway); if you want resource generation, use that. If you want want the minigame to be fun, cheat: your holding produces double gold for stronghold building, or can generate leadership bonuses instead of profit.
If you want single sentence plot hooks for minor bonuses, write some goddamn plot hooks with minor bonuses.
The fundamental problem is that nobody seems to have an overall gamist purpose to any of these systems. Everything is simulationism alone, without any real direction of where it's going.

Some people want to legitimately zoom out, so you're playing Risk: the RPG. Other people want kingdoms to be some kind of backdrop, where you're playing the day to day affairs of Julius Caeser but you track how many soldiers he has under his command and lead them to war. Other people want to be adventurers most of the time, but in the off-season they play Sim City.

Until people actually know what they want to achieve they're not going to produce anything useful.
Last edited by Swordslinger on Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

Swordslinger, you are a Forgehead AND a 4e apologist? Man!

So, have you ever like... played Civilization? I mean, what people are batting around here is really an ultra-light (comparatively), abstract version of Civilization that can be used for the same things that happen in Civilization. Making war, accumulating wealth, making the populace happy, etc. The last one is especially important - a lot of RPGs I've been in have had a period where the players not only overthrew an evil reign, but focused on actually making that place a better place to live and undoing the damage caused by decades of abuse. And sure, it's terribly abstract and you're really just making some numbers go up or down, but even if you're just concerned about overall happiness of the place, those numbers at least not being negative is mildly important to you, and you can fuck off once you've achieved your personal objective.

Some people play the game for dynastic conquest, others get a culture victory, others just want to win the space race. Go figure.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

That last sentence was not intended to be taken literally (I assume), but should there be some way to use the resources of nations to construct massive super-projects? For example, an uber-spell that allows you to merge with the Astral Plane and become the god of everything?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chamomile wrote:That last sentence was not intended to be taken literally (I assume), but should there be some way to use the resources of nations to construct massive super-projects? For example, an uber-spell that allows you to merge with the Astral Plane and become the god of everything?
Of course there should be things to aspire to. Making artifacts and sending expeditions to the mysterious jungle continent should be kingdom management production options. I'm thinking of course of Settlers of Cataan Progress/Development cards, but an Alpha Centauri secret project or Master of Magic overland spell isn't a bad model to look at.

Fundamentally your kingdom management minigame is there to spur adventures and reward players. That means that two things need to happen:
  • The mini game needs to rain down a number of fires every turn that players can choose to put out using kingdom management actions or by interacting with them personally to transition to diplomancy, exploration, or combat minigames.
  • The threats and proceeds of the kingdom management minigame need to matter in the other minigames. The threats and rewards in the other minigames need to matter in the kingdom management minigame.
So you look at your issues and they'll be things like "Unrest in your Ogre Provinces" or "Gold Mine Mysteriously Offline" or whatever. And you can use your delegation actions to deal with it, or you can hop into roleplaying or combat time and deal with it yourself. And in the meantime, you can collect new Resources and expand the resources you have with management actions and quest rewards.

-Username17
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Ah, so it becomes a framing device for your adventures? Cool.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

Almaz wrote: So, have you ever like... played Civilization? I mean, what people are batting around here is really an ultra-light (comparatively), abstract version of Civilization that can be used for the same things that happen in Civilization. Making war, accumulating wealth, making the populace happy, etc. The last one is especially important - a lot of RPGs I've been in have had a period where the players not only overthrew an evil reign, but focused on actually making that place a better place to live and undoing the damage caused by decades of abuse. And sure, it's terribly abstract and you're really just making some numbers go up or down, but even if you're just concerned about overall happiness of the place, those numbers at least not being negative is mildly important to you, and you can fuck off once you've achieved your personal objective.

Some people play the game for dynastic conquest, others get a culture victory, others just want to win the space race. Go figure.
Playing Civilization would be a total game genre switch. At that point you're no longer on the hero scale at all, and you're no longer even playing an RPG, but a full blown strategy/ world conquest game. At this point you're really not even writing a new set of rules, but an entirely new game, because Civilization could care less if you're playing Caeser or Genghis Khan. Your old character ceases to matter so much as numerical statistics of your land and army. In fact, that's totally contrary to the superhero setup that D&D does.

And if indeed your DM is going to get into actually stating out every rival nation in this new system, you might as well just play a different game, because you're no longer playing D&D.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

OH GOD NO! WE'RE NOT PLAYING DND ANYMORE?! OH HOLY FUCK!

You never fail to disappoint, dude.

I won't even bother with actually attempting to address your other silly assumptions, but will instead impart this wisdom: if your idea of a fantasy game has no space for "I get to rule a kingdom/assassin's guild/church" outside Magical Tea Party, then get the fuck out of the thread. It's not for you.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Should we have compared it to Heroes of Might and Magic instead?