Dungeoneering: Back to Basics

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I'm down for Ogrebattles plan I'm just unclear how it works. Are the owlbears too large to fit down the hallway? If they can fit down the hallway then how will us opening the door partway stop them from just pressing it open and coming in.

If they can fit in but barely I guess standing in the skeleton room and all firing at the monster while it barrels down at us is an OK plan
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Ancient History: Are you using Table 56 in the PHB (in my '89 printing on page 84), "Optional Modifiers to Initiative"? Because having the Owlbear suffer a +6 to their roll for being a large creature would be awesome since we are using weapon speeds and casting times and such.

Corollary: We are using weapon speeds and casting times, right?
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

We could raise the door just a bit, maybe half a meter or so (a couple of feet), so that bowmen can pick off the creatures at their leisure?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Guillermo can raise the door just enough so an owlbear would try sticking his head/arm through and get shot in the face, splashed with flammables, and so on.

Basically it's creating a space they can't fully fit through, but big mean owlbears will try. Though there's always the chance they figure out how to lift things and burst in.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

OgreBattle wrote:Though there's always the chance they figure out how to lift things and burst in.
In that case, I can cast cause fear.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Hicks wrote:Ancient History: Are you using Table 56 in the PHB (in my '89 printing on page 84), "Optional Modifiers to Initiative"? Because having the Owlbear suffer a +6 to their roll for being a large creature would be awesome since we are using weapon speeds and casting times and such.

Corollary: We are using weapon speeds and casting times, right?
Answers to both questions: We can do that.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

OgreBattle wrote:Guillermo can raise the door just enough so an owlbear would try sticking his head/arm through and get shot in the face, splashed with flammables, and so on.

Basically it's creating a space they can't fully fit through, but big mean owlbears will try. Though there's always the chance they figure out how to lift things and burst in.
Solid idea, lets do it. Guillermo can lift the door then move back a bit, ill take up a kneeling position and can fire while kneeling under your enormous ass legs. We can soak my winter blanket in oil and keep it in front of us and give someone behind us a rope attached to a lit torch they can pull into the oil blanket for fire power/cover. I like the plan, I've got the oil and the blanket and LETS DO THIS!
Last edited by Dean on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Uh, what about the smoke from the fire? We'll suffocate in here. It's like smoking ourselves out!
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Dungeons traditionally go down so the smoke would rise out of it. Second people have already been lighting fires so I think the no-smoke ship has sailed.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

If Guillermo can't try again ill try. My odds should be almost as good
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'll be on standby to stab anything that pokes through while the super strong Elf tries at the door
Ancient History
Serious Badass

According to the PHB, Guillermo can't try again...ever. However, I think there was a thing where he could try again once he leveled. I'm still looking.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Here it says:
Open Doors indicates the character's chance to force open a heavy or stuck door. When a character tries to force a door open, roll 1d20. If the result is equal to or less than the listed number, the door opens. A character can keep trying to open a door until it finally opens, but each attempt takes time (exactly how much is up to the DM) and makes a lot of noise.
Numbers in parentheses are the chances (on 1d20) to open a locked, barred, or magically held door, but only one attempt per door can ever be made. If it fails, no further attempts by that character can succeed.
(emphasis mine)

It's supposed to be off the PHB (unfortunately I lent my copy a couple decades back and never got it back, so I can't cross-check it...)
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Tim isn't saying much because he's useless in a fight. But I';m still here!
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

No matter. One by one, starting with the next strongest with the next strongest following, we should try to lift the door and enact the battle plan; hopefully iterative probability will favor us before my spell's duration ends. Every +1 counts, but it is still just a +1; we should only need one round to kill the owlbear to death.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Man, now I kinda want to turn this into "revenge upon the gnomes", though it probably wouldn't be good to pursue them too deep into the unknown woods.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I imagine that it's too late to cast a "reasonably worded" suggestion on one of the gnomes. Or a suggestion at all, really.

Do you guys think I should cast command on one of the gnomes if one (or both) aren't pinned by Atani?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Sorry for the delay this weekend, unexpected trip to Florida-da.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

When questioning these gnomes I would prioritize information about the Tomb that could be of use, then things he might do to make us forgive his thievery and attack, and finally see if we can pry any information about any nearby base they have. After we interrogate I will offer the party the option of me shadowing him to find out where they operate from.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Guillermo searches the gnome and ties him up as he's questioned.

If his info isn't useful we can always use him as a trap detector
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Having a trap detector would seriously improve our chances of pulling this thing off without casualties. Besides the gnome, that is.

Have people ever tried using livestock? I feel like maybe herding a half dozen goats through the dungeon would be a really effective way of increasing party survivability.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, no. I don't think my character will consent to a prisoner being treated that way...
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So the gnome might be using another phantom sound trick, or he's tamed actual owlbears. Would anyone mind if I knocked out the gnome? If AD&D has the rules for that kinda thing anyways. Reading dragonlance and playing 4e has made me regard gnomes in the same light as kobolds and goblins (things you kill without asking questions), but Guillermo will not do so out of respect for the Paladin :p

Are our wagons big enough to jump on and use as high ground barriers vs owlbears?
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Both of my spells that would work well on this guy (detect lies, suggestion) are language-dependent and I don't speak Gnome. Otherwise I'd try chatting him up.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

If you agree, I can hold on to him, freeing you to face what's coming; no need to knock him out. I can even try a grappling maneuver (what's the ad&d version of headlock?) to be extra sure.