Animal People in Cities

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Animal People in Cities

Post by Prak »

Rewatching Caravan Palace videos on Youtube has me thinking about a, well, Animal People in Cities game.

So, taking as source material/inspiration Zootopia, Sing, Bojack Horseman, and Caravan Palace's Lone Digger video, and looking at a game with a contemporary-ish setting, there are a few options that don't involve hand-crafting yet another system. D20 has the advantage of already having a ton of animal people races*, as well as at least three Anthro-animal templates I can think of off the top of my head, as well as market penetration. Palladium/RIFTS has the TMNT and After the Bomb books that allow players to say "I'm a axolotl-person" and decide what exactly that means to them, as well, as having a default more contemporary setting. And then there's outliers, like Jadeclaw and Mouse Guard.

Going with d20, you could theoretically actually do Spycraft 2 and just take the animal people races of D&D as a starting point, and then run, iunno, Leverage with Furries. But I don't know a lot about SC2.

Anyway- what would be a passable game for this idea?

*d20 Animal People races
Aarakocra, Abeil, Armand, Asabi, Desmodu, Gnoll, Goatfolk/Ibixian, Groundling, Harpy, Kenku, Kuo-Toa/Bullywug/Siv, Lizardfolk/Khaasta, Loxo, Minotaur, Nycter, Ophidian, Quaggoth, Rhek, Sahuagin, Thri-kreen, Yak-folk

Things that could be animal people with the smallest refluffing-
Bugbear, Locathah, Shalarin, Shifter, Trogolodyte, Varag?

And probably more. I just looked at humanoids and monstrous humanoids in Monster Finder.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'm confused by your question. Are you just asking what kind of a game could you play where your race options are limited to furry races? I guess any, since the whole point of those races is that they're compatible. You could play a total furry campaign in DnD and people might not even realize that was the intent. Until it was too late.

And there's definitely more furry-lookin races, lots more.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I struggle to find a meaningful distinction between most of those animal-people and just plain humans. They apparently don't have any abilities, disabilities, activity cycles, different senses, instincts, or anything to reflect their animal side except a shallow aesthetic.. Literally nothing is different if Bojack Horseman isn't a horse. It really seems like you could use any modern setting game, and if someone's character is big and strong they can look like a rhino or whatever.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Literally nothing is different if Bojack Horseman isn't a horse.
Except that the puns are a lot less funny.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

erik wrote:I'm confused by your question. Are you just asking what kind of a game could you play where your race options are limited to furry races? I guess any, since the whole point of those races is that they're compatible. You could play a total furry campaign in DnD and people might not even realize that was the intent. Until it was too late.

And there's definitely more furry-lookin races, lots more.
I mean what system would be serviceable.

...admittedly, there was a lot of blathering.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ahhh. Well I'm biased naturally, but 3e DnD obviously does what it does, and as noted, animal humanoids play exactly the same as any other humanoids, for good or ill. It has a robust system for dealing with size modifiers that something like Spycraft can adapt since it is d20. I too haven't dealt with SC though, so don't know how readily their setting specific rules can handle things like mouse or elephant sized characters tho.

I'd think a system that handles different sized creatures is probably the most salient selling point, since the rest of animal differences is mostly handwavium. I'm having trouble thinking of other published RPGs that expect characters to be across the spectrum of sizes from mouse to elephant. I'm sure GURPS does it, but I'm also sure it doesn't do it well.

Palladium/TMNT/Rifts does exist. I have to say that. But that's all I'm legally obligated to say in their favor.

I take it back that character sizes is the only real consideration. The other main deal is "modern setting". D20 is kinda shitty at that. Dammit. I'd probably prefer a dicepool game for modern settings. I would probably try and convert Shadowrun 4e rules to something amenable. Or use Hollow Earth Expedition and write up your own animal schticks that characters can select from.

As much as I like to plug my Nexus game as it is sort of if Shadowrun and Rifts had a lovechild, it's pretty combat-murder centric as a post-apocalyptic setting and as such not so applicable really for a modern setting.
Last edited by erik on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Shadowrun would be an option. Surge. Cyber. Bio. Literal awakened Critters.
Shapeshifters are not people that change into animals but animals that get born by animals, grow up as animals but can change into people.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

... After Sundown? Everyone gets two minor and one intermediate power, to simulate the advantages of their animal nature; or, you can adapt the bio-energy rules from TMNT to an engine that isn't a complete trainwreck.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

If you're doing Modern Lycanthrope Bar Fight then After Sundown would be a decent option simply because it's basically SR4 without the matrix, spirit summoning and the Two Shot Problem. That's a nice set of traits since SR4's central mechanic and its defaulting system are both easy to explain and scale reasonably well. Everyone gets a Lunar recharge schedule and some powers then you call it a day.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Yesterday's Hero
Apprentice

Post by Yesterday's Hero »

You could even get away with having "humans" on the setting. Just cover them in fur and call them "Chimpanzee-folk" or something.
Did you ever notice that, in action movies, the final confrontation between hero and villain is more often than not an unarmed melee fight? It's like these bad guys have "Regeneration 50/Unarmed strikes".
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Overlight is described like it has animal people, but it's new and I don't know anyone who has played it. Also, the description is a word salad, so who knows what the game actually is?

The studio who makes it is known for making board games that have pretty much a single mechanic, but are interesting. An example is Gravwell, where you try to escape a black hole by getting to the end of the board first. You move by playing a card with an element from the periodic table (except 2 letters where they had to make up a new element) and a movement type (towards nearest, away from nearest, or everything moves towards you) on it. Everyone moves in alphabetical order, so your plan to move a certain direction is entirely based on going before or after someone who is moving at an unknown time. A side benefit of this system include making things easier if you're behind, because the nearest object is in front of you.

Edit: That's 2 ways that the game might be great or terrible, and I'm curious.
Last edited by Iduno on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Fuckin' furries.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
erik
King

Post by erik »

infected slut princess wrote:Fuckin' furries.
Yes, the best kind of furries.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

DrPraetor wrote:... After Sundown? Everyone gets two minor and one intermediate power, to simulate the advantages of their animal nature; or, you can adapt the bio-energy rules from TMNT to an engine that isn't a complete trainwreck.
Whipstitch wrote:If you're doing Modern Lycanthrope Bar Fight then After Sundown would be a decent option simply because it's basically SR4 without the matrix, spirit summoning and the Two Shot Problem. That's a nice set of traits since SR4's central mechanic and its defaulting system are both easy to explain and scale reasonably well. Everyone gets a Lunar recharge schedule and some powers then you call it a day.
I'm kinda poking at this idea a bit. More DrPraetor's idea than Modern Lycanthropes, tho that's an option too.

The difficulty I'm sort of running into is that Basic Universal powers, and some Devotions, work best for representing animal abilities, but there's not really enough? Basically AS powers would need some tweaking, but it's definitely a promising idea.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, my assumption was that you'd have to write up some of your own powers, but I often consider that a simpler task than converting dungeon crawlers given that they usually have wonky subsystems for handling skills and the like.
bears fall, everyone dies
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

erik wrote:
infected slut princess wrote:Fuckin' furries.
Yes, the best kind of furries.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Look "Prak" just admit you are a furry and this is another half-baked idea of yours that will never go anywhere and really all you want to do is be a furry and lure people to your house under the pretense of playing a "cool new rpg game" then the trap is sprung and you force men in dog suits to fondle you.

The greatest animal people world is DRAGON BALL. Animal people and human people live together in peace and harmony, there is no racism and everyone has equal rights. IN fact, the merciful and just king of Earth is a dog man and no one is asking to see his birth certificate. Animal people go to watch martial arts tournaments and no one looks at them funny or forces them to sit in an "anthropomorphic section."
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I mean... I don't exactly deny that, ISP, but why you gotta spill my sexual fantasies like that? I mean it worked for Greg Stafford and plenty of WoD players (hell, including me, come to think of it)...
Edit: Also, technically, I'm a feathery, if anything. Unless goblins are a fursona? Hrmm...

Also, ah yes, Dragon Ball, where humans and vaguely animal-like people alike stand around and yell for ten episodes to warm up for a single punch.

Anyway, I've been working on the character types for an AS hack. I definitely want to tweak the actual system in some ways, because I think Frank's propensity to turn tables into initialisms is a bit twee, and want a bit more system where AS glossed over things (speeds, environmental hazards), and because I recently discovered that there are very few games that could be said to be made primarily by non-cismen, and those that are tend to be about interpersonal drama rather than heists and adventures. Which is entirely a different topic, so I think I'll make a thread to talk about that.

So, This is entirely WIP, and honestly there are parts that are still in between "After Sundown Terms" and "Whatever this game is"-
New Powers
Aquatic Adaptation (Universal)
Characters with Aquatic Adaptation are at home in the water, and move as naturally in it as other characters do on land. Aquatic Adaptation powers are generally activated powers and require an expenditure of at least one power point. A character with Aquatic Adaptation may swim at a speed of 6m per round per point of Agility as an ordinary pace (much like walking), and hold their breath for a minute per point of Strength. A character with Advanced Aquatic Adaptation may swim at a speed of 9m per round per point of Agility (effectively they may move at a Rapid Jog pace as an Ordinary pace) and may hold their breath for 5 minutes per point of Strength. A character with Expert Aquatic Adaptation may breath under water, even if they do not have the appropriate Advanced power, and may swim at a pace of 20m per round per point of Agility (effectively an Exhausting pace as an Ordinary pace).

Basic Powers

Blubbery Hide The character has a thick layer of fat under their skin, offering protection against both cold and attacks. The character effectively has a natural form of armor that offers a protection rating of 2 against ballistics, melee and heat. Note that connotations aside, many animals have a layer of blubber but are still considered “svelt” or “slender,” such as dolphins.

Deep Dive The character has the ability to dive deeply into water without much concern for the hazardous cold and pressure within. The character has 3 free hits on any physical soak roll made to resist damage from cold or atmospheric pressure.

Slippery Bastard

Advanced Powers
Water Dart The character may move underwater at an Exhausting pace with no penalty as a Complex action at the cost of one power point.

Arcane Arms Race (Universal)

Basic Powers

Camouflage

Mesmerism

Tooth and Claw (Universal)

Basic Powers

Grabbit: The character has some flexible, extensible, and sticky or graspy appendage, such as a sticky tongue or a suction-cupped arm, that allows them to use the Abduct maneuver as a Simple action, rather than Complex action.

Natural Armor: The character has some manner of natural armor--generally a thick hide, chitin, or a shell. They passively have an armor rating of 1 against Ballistics, 3 against Melee, and 0 against Heat. At the player’s option, the armor may not fully protect the character, and allow an enemy to aim around it. In this case, increase the Ballistic and Melee ratings by 1. They may wear manufactured armor over this natural armor, but it is generally expensive to get a proper fit, and will always be somewhat uncomfortable.

Natural Weapon: The character has some manner of natural weapon-- sharp claws or teeth, battering or goring horns, spines, or the like. This is counted as a 3 damage weapon regardless of its description. A character might have multiple forms of natural attacks (claws and fangs, for example), but given they can only attack with a single weapon in a given initiative pass, there’s no reason to take this power more than once.

Toxic: The character is venomous, and can transmit this venom through, usually, some form of attack, such as a bite or sting. Some animals, however, are toxic to the touch, notable poison dart frogs and certain toads. When this power is taken, the character chooses whether it is “always on,” as in the case of amphibians with toxic skin secretions, or is voluntary, as is the case (so far as we can tell) for animals which inject venom. The effect of the venom is chosen from the table below, and is counted as a 3 hit poison. If the character does not have Natural Attack, they may still inject their venom, they just have to immobilize their target, or take advantage of their target’s helplessness in order to do so.
PoisonEffectExample
Neurotoxin Victim dazed and confusedBlack widow, scorpion, blue-ringed octopus
MyotoxinVictim immobilizedSnakes, lizards
NecrotoxinVictim suffers damageRattlesnake and viper

Advanced Powers

Brawny: The character towers over others, up to 3.5 meters (~10.5’) in height. They have a point of armor, and any attacks made with their body (such as natural weapons, or a punch or kick) have their damage increased by 2. By spending a power point, they may increase their strength by an additional 4 for the remainder of the scene.

Mobile Fortress: The character has a particularly thick shell, and can withdraw into it. This provides them a passive armor (which stacks with armor provided by Natural Armor) with a Ballistics rating of 2, Melee rating of 3, and Heat rating of 0. This protection does not fully cover the character, allowing enemies to aim around it, but, the character may withdraw into their shell. This is the only thing they can do in a turn, and prevents them from acting while they are so withdrawn (at the start of each of their initiative passes they choose whether they will stay turtled, or emerge and be able to act). While so withdrawn, however, their armor fully covers their body.

Hoof and Paw (Universal)
Basic Powers

Burrowing: The character is particularly adept at digging, and may move about a meter of dirt or loose soil per minute as a Pedestrian Strength and Athletics task.

Quick Footed: The character is particularly light and fast on their feet. By spending a single power point, they may either take an extra initiative pass or move at twice the normal rate in a given round of combat.

Sure Footed: The character is agile and seldom steps wrong. They ignore all movement penalties for speeds less than a Draining Sprint, and a Draining Sprint only applies a -4 penalty to their actions. Finally, all terrain penalties are lessened by one step for the character.

Tree Walking The character either has sharp claws, a firm grasp, or both, that allow them to easily clamber up tree trunks and branches and similar materials and objects, and move quickly and agilely from tree to tree. Or roof to roof. The character may move up vertical wooden surfaces and across wooden overhangs, and objects with ready handholds regardless of orientation, at a careful pace without rolling, and at an ordinary or rapid pace as a Professional task.

Wall Crawling: The character has the ability to move across vertical and inverted surfaces without need for special equipment. They can do this as easily as walking, and complicated stunts mimicking Wuxian or comic-book maneuvers are much easier for their ability to support their weight simply with a hand on a wall. The threshold for such stunts is is reduced by 2.

Advanced Powers

Flight: The character has functional wings and the ability to fly. At default, this flight is at the same rate as their walking speed, but they may spend a power point to fly at twice that rate.

Tunneling: The character’s adeptness at digging goes beyond that of characters with Burrowing. The character may move 3 meters of dirt or loose soil or 1 meter of dense or rocky ground per minute.

Weird Senses (Universal)
The Character has some sensory ability beyond simple taste, smell, sight, touch and hearing, or a more sensitive version of one of those powers. They may be a fish and have an ability to sense electric fields, they may be a bat or dolphin have echolocation or sonar, or they may simply have an acute enough sense of smell to track by it.

Basic Powers

Electrosentient The character has the ability to sense electric fields in much the same way that creatures with mundane senses can sense light or smells. (system stuff)

Get the Scent The character has a developed enough sense of smell to track and recognize people by. Either of these is a Professional Intuition and Survival task at minimum, and more difficult if the target is taking steps to prevent it.

Vibration Sense The character has the ability to sense vibrations in a surface they are in contact with. They can detect the presence of non-stationary objects and any person or creature, which does not have some specific power to stand completely motionlessly, within a range of about 3 meters per point of Intuition. A character with powers from the Aquatic Adaptation discipline can detect these vibrations while in water, and a character with an Advanced Weird Senses power may detect vibrations in the air.

Advanced Powers

Lorem Ipsum

Character Types
Amphibians
-Slippery Bastard (Basic Aquatic Adaptation)
-Grabbit (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-Water Dart (Advanced Aquatic Adaptation)

Birds
-Natural Weapon (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-Tree Walking (Basic Hoof and Paw)
-Flight (Advanced Hoof and Paw)

Bovines
-Vigor (Basic Clout)
-
-Brawny (Advanced Tooth and Claw)

Bugs
-Wall Crawling (Basic Hoof and Paw)
-Vibration Sense (Basic Weird Senses)
-one of the following options:
---Natural Armor and Natural Weapon (Basic Tooth and Claw)
---Toxic (Basic Tooth and Claw) and Web Slinging (Basic )
---Flight (Advanced Hoof and Paw)
---Natural Attack in place of Wall Crawling, and Brawny (Advanced Tooth and Claw)

Canines
-Get the Scent (Basic Weird Senses)
-Natural Attack (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-(Advanced)

Chelonians
(ie, turtles and tortoises)
-Natural Armor (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-Natural Weapon (Basic Tooth and Claw) or Deep Dive (Basic Aquatic Adaptation)
-Mobile Fortress (Advanced Tooth and Claw) or (Advanced )

Equines
-Quick Footed (Basic Hoof and Paw)
-

Felines
-Sure Footed (Basic Hoof and Paw)
-Natural Attack (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-

Fish
-Deep Dive (Basic Aquatic Adaptation)
-Electrosentient (Basic Weird Sense)
-Water Dart (Advanced Aquatic Adaptation)

Lizards
-Grabbit (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-Wall Crawling (Basic Hoof and Paw)
-

Rodents
-Tree Walking (Basic Hoof and Paw)
-Hide From Notice (Basic Veil)
-

Serpents
-Mesmerism (Basic Arcane Arms Race)
-Toxic (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-

Ursines
-Natural Weapons (Basic Tooth and Claw)
-Blubbery Hide (Basic Aquatic Adaptation)
Last edited by Prak on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

"Vaguely animal-like people" is an eye-witness description of you and your friends when observed last weekend dry humping each other in the bushes. The Dragon Ball animal people are actual animal people. Learn the difference.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sticking a monkey tail on an otherwise human character does not an animal person make

erik
King

Post by erik »

There’s plenty of straight up animal people too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Huh. Noted. You'd have to pay me to watch Dragon Ball

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Prak wrote:sticking a monkey tail on an otherwise human character does not an animal person make
I was going to say something snarky about humans being technically animals already, but that got me thinking. Couldn't you just take a system you like that has humans or humanoids and tweak/rename them?

Orcs are mostly pig monsters (sometimes), dwarves could be moles, elves could be, say, cats, and so on. You could do that for class/profession instead.

On one hand, you'd not end up creating much of a new system, but on the other you'd not have to create much of a new system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Certainly, that's one option. And in my opening blather I did point out that you could use d20 and just accentuate the existing animal people races. It's much more about "what's a good system for a game inspired by Zootopia and the Lone Digger music video," than "what games let you play animal people if that's a thing you want to do?"

I mean, there are less valid life choices than "our D&D game is about a hengeyokai thieves guild in greyhawk"

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Prak wrote:"what's a good system for a game inspired by Zootopia and the Lone Digger music video,"
In that case, what do you consider the important parts from those, and how would the game differ from existing ones?