D&D 5e is now over 5 years old, has anything changed?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ColorBlindNinja61
Master

Post by ColorBlindNinja61 »

WiserOdin032402 wrote:Well, consider that a Sorcadin can use armor and a shield, and if they two-level dip they can get dueling style, which means that they can have a set of +3 full plate and a +3 shield or at a minimum wear Adamantine Armor (Negates Crits) which all gives them a hefty amount of frontline presence.

In general the sorcerer spell list is better than the Paladin spell list or no spell list, and since Smite converts spell slots into straight damage which gets doubled on a crit. You can basically kit yourself out to be a utility super gish that slams on people for a lot of damage with a high AC. You can also dip Hexblade Warlock to become SAD, Eldritch Blast, and for free spell points.
So a 1-2 level dip in Paladin, then take the rest of your levels in Sorcerer. You use spells for utility outside of combat and during a fight you burn them for extra damage. Do I have that right?
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

Yes. For extra cheese a 1 level dip in Warlock (Pact of the Hexblade).
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

WiserOdin032402 wrote:Yes. For extra cheese a 1 level dip in Warlock (Pact of the Hexblade).
Got it. Thanks for the information.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Here's the reason why Sorceradin is good, typically the 6/14 or 7/13 split.

[*] You have Quicken Spell. If the spell you use is Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade, it's like having an extra smite attack as a bonus action.
[*] Hell, Metamagic in general just rules. How would you like to Twin Spell a Greater Invis or a Haste or even just a Protection from Evil and Good?
[*] The way the spells known mechanic works means that the Sorcerer can load up with a bunch of necessary low-level utility spells like Protection from Evil and Good, Aid, and Lesser Restoration.
[*] Between Protection from Evil and Good, Shield, Blur, Haste, Greater Invisibility, Aura of Protection, and armor proficiencies you have an incredible defense. Your defense can go even higher if you go Ancients.
[*] Between Extra Attack, Haste, Wrathful Smite, Greater Invis, Quicken Spell (which doesn't just need to be used for Hold Person), and regular smites you also have an incredible offense. Your offense can get even higher if you like if you go Devotion or Vengeance.
[*] Because you have a lot of blank floating spell slots due to how multiclass spell slots stack, you can recycle them into more metamagic points (awesome), into more smites (also awesome), or use them to do things like upcast Aid and Fly (mega-awesome).

Just try it out sometime. My Adventurer's League Sorceradin was a Devotion Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 9 until I stopped playing. I went full-offense with a Flametongue Greatsword, Great Weapon Master, Resilient: Constitution, and Fire Giant Gauntlets. A typical two-punch turn for me would be something like:

[*] Standard Action: Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon, Bonus Action: Quickened Haste, run 60 feet and smack the BBEG with GWM for 4d6+12 damage.
[*] Chaff monsters try to swarm me, my AC is normally 23 with Haste up, a Shield spell makes it impossible for them to hit me on less than an 18. One attack gets through, but because I have a concentration bonus of +13, I don't even have to make checks until they do 30 or more damage on a single attack.
[*] I unload hell on the BBEG. Haste Attack + Quickened Booming Blade + Extra Action Attack. All with some GMW stank, along with some 2nd-level spell slot smite action thrown on because why not? All attacks hit, that's 16d6+5d8+68 damage. That's enough to drop almost any creature of CR15 or below.
[*] Resources expended so far: 4 metamagic points, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-level spell slot.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Here's the reason why Sorceradin is good, typically the 6/14 or 7/13 split.

[*] You have Quicken Spell. If the spell you use is Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade, it's like having an extra smite attack as a bonus action.
[*] Hell, Metamagic in general just rules. How would you like to Twin Spell a Greater Invis or a Haste or even just a Protection from Evil and Good?
[*] The way the spells known mechanic works means that the Sorcerer can load up with a bunch of necessary low-level utility spells like Protection from Evil and Good, Aid, and Lesser Restoration.
[*] Between Protection from Evil and Good, Shield, Blur, Haste, Greater Invisibility, Aura of Protection, and armor proficiencies you have an incredible defense. Your defense can go even higher if you go Ancients.
[*] Between Extra Attack, Haste, Wrathful Smite, Greater Invis, Quicken Spell (which doesn't just need to be used for Hold Person), and regular smites you also have an incredible offense. Your offense can get even higher if you like if you go Devotion or Vengeance.
[*] Because you have a lot of blank floating spell slots due to how multiclass spell slots stack, you can recycle them into more metamagic points (awesome), into more smites (also awesome), or use them to do things like upcast Aid and Fly (mega-awesome).

Just try it out sometime. My Adventurer's League Sorceradin was a Devotion Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 9 until I stopped playing. I went full-offense with a Flametongue Greatsword, Great Weapon Master, Resilient: Constitution, and Fire Giant Gauntlets. A typical two-punch turn for me would be something like:

[*] Standard Action: Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon, Bonus Action: Quickened Haste, run 60 feet and smack the BBEG with GWM for 4d6+12 damage.
[*] Chaff monsters try to swarm me, my AC is normally 23 with Haste up, a Shield spell makes it impossible for them to hit me on less than an 18. One attack gets through, but because I have a concentration bonus of +13, I don't even have to make checks until they do 30 or more damage on a single attack.
[*] I unload hell on the BBEG. Haste Attack + Quickened Booming Blade + Extra Action Attack. All with some GMW stank, along with some 2nd-level spell slot smite action thrown on because why not? All attacks hit, that's 16d6+5d8+68 damage. That's enough to drop almost any creature of CR15 or below.
[*] Resources expended so far: 4 metamagic points, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-level spell slot.
Thank you for all the information.