3.x classes with sneak attack...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

3.x classes with sneak attack...

Post by Crissa »

What 3.x classes have sneak attack and a +1 BAB or eight skills and +1 BAB?

There's just so much stuff to remember.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Off the top of my head, Ninjas of the Crescent Moon and outsiders.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The sneak attack fighter variant from Unearthed Arcana and the ninja from Oriental Adventures (not the ninja from Complete Adventurer).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Does the Blackguard count?

Mind, they suck snail bait, but still, it'd give me an idea of what you're looking for.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Is there a particular reason you need to make a character with high BAB and sneak attack? Given that sneak attack tends to target touch AC in the first place?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't have access to touch-attacks, and the DM wants classes from books.

Go fig.

Where's Blackguard? The OA Ninja was the only one I could think of... Unearthed Arcana?

-Crissa
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Blackguard is in the DMG.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

There's always anything + Divine Power. Archivists for example get Divine Power and potentially more SA than a Rogue. Hunter's Eye.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Does it have to be sneak attack, or can it be sudden strike?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'm a bit confused as to how Archivists get Sneak Attack.

I guess there's no full BAB with six or eight skills, either?

Lastly, Sudden Strike seems awful.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Crissa wrote:I'm a bit confused as to how Archivists get Sneak Attack
Hunter's Eye spell, PHB II
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Wand of Frost? Wand of Flame Blade? Flasks of anything?

You can snag 10 skills, +1d6 SA, and +0 BAB, for what it is worth. Changeling rogue substitution level.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/class ... lasses.htm

I think you are going for Sneak Attack Fighter, however. Just mix it up.
Rogue 1 / SA Fighter 2
- gets you those tasty skill points when it counts (level 1), and you take Able Learner or whatever to make them class skills forever.
- +2 BAB, +3d6 Sneak Attack at level 3

Later you take the stupid Tome of Battle stance that gives a +2d6 SA, and you can be at Level/2 + 3d6 SA. Get a summoner or party member (even level1, who cares?) for flanking partners, and just ripshred peoples faces.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Ninja from Rokugan apparently gets full BAB and SA without sucking, but I don't know where to find it...
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That just sucks, ST. No skills, no feats, just sneak attack? No, we don't have wands, we could have flasks, but I already do the most damage in the group. I have a Fighter/Paladin to do the face work on flanking.

Just was looking for options; I have a Rogue 4 currently, looks like we're going to level 10.

-Crissa
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Re: 3.x classes with sneak attack...

Crissa wrote:What 3.x classes have sneak attack and a +1 BAB
Honestly, it looked like you were willing to sack skills/feats for SA/BAB.

Anyways, here: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/Dn ... s-Base.pdf
Scout and Rogue get the tasty 8 SP on that list.
Spellthief gets you some SA...

Aside from that, you have to go with the weird sources (above).
Last edited by SunTzuWarmaster on Sat May 30, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

What books are allowed, Crissa?

You're not going to find a full-BAB class that gives more than 4 skill points per level, unless you're going ranger. But there's still hope.

If Book of Nine Swords is allowed, you can just be a Human Ranger 1/ Warblade 5 that took the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats for Shadow Blade Technique (very useful at low levels, gets upgraded to Cloak of Deception at level 3) and Assassin's Stance (gives +2d6 sneak attack damage that stacks forever). You'll max out on 7 skills and grab 5 skill points per level thereafter and also get a roguish skill of your choice from the Shadow Hand school.

Warblade gives you Blind-Fight for free and Ranger gives you Track for free. If you still want full BAB and sneak attack and the DM will let you use Complete Warrior there's the Darkhunter PrC which gives you four levels of goodness. You pick up a +1d6 sneak attack at level 3. Or you can be a Darkwood Stalker (which you can also trivially qualify for) which gives full BAB and sneak attack every 3 levels.

Ronin from Complete Warrior sets fire to a feat you're not going to use (EWP: Bastard Sword) but hands out +1 bonus to your BAB and +1d6 sneak attack for one level.

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Ooo, that's an awesome pdf, thanks.

-Crissa
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

the Rokugan Ninja class is in the Rokugan Campaign setting. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll PM you a link.

It has full BAB and good skills (I think, I don't have it in front of me right now), but it does not have full sneak attack - it only gets 6d6 over 20 levels.
<something clever>
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

The Rokugan Ninja gets full sneak attack, full BAB, and 4+ skills.

Other special abilities include Uncanny Dodge, Ninja Dodge (like dodge, but bonus increases to +5 over 20 levels), Speed of Darkness (Int to Init), Poison Use, Shadow Run (speed bonus = con mod x 5), Deflect Arrows, and Blind Fight.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, that's a book available to my DM, tho I don't have it. Shoulda bought it, the setting was fun, those most of the classes were ...bad.

-Crissa
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Whoops. So they do. Could have sworn it was not a full sneak attack progression.

Oh well...
<something clever>
Rathe
Apprentice

Post by Rathe »

If you are willing to mix it up a bit, you could go Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 3+X and use the feat Daring Outlaw from Complete Scoundrel pg. 76.
By the feat text it stacks your Rogue and SwB levels for determining your SA pool. You'll only have 4 + Int skill points per level, but it does give you Dex to Attack, Int to damage and Full BAB...so keep your Str low and pump up your Int for skill points and damaging attacks.
If you absolutely want to have more skill points and max out your Rogue stuff (DD, Srch, UMD) then be a Human and take Nymph's Kiss and Able Learner feats. That will net you 6+Int SP/level and All feats are considered class feats.
Make sure to take Death's Ruin alternate feature from Complete Champion pg. 51, which gives up your Trapsense for the ability to deal 1/2 of your SA type damage versus undead. Grab a Demolition crystal and you'll be set versus Golems, keep Alchemist's Fire for plants and Scrolls of Gust of Wind for swarms.
Last edited by Rathe on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Don't give up your trapsense for anything in Complete Champions. Instead, break out a copy of Dungeonscape and take the Rogue trapsense substitution: 1/2 sneak attack dice against anything immune to sneak attack (undead, plants, elementals, oozes, your mom, and fortification armor) and/or be a man and get two gloves of storing, a wand of grave strike and a wand of golem strike (both free as cheap in the Wish economy), and use acid or fire flasks to get past DR.
Last edited by Hicks on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Rathe
Apprentice

Post by Rathe »

Awesome Hicks! I didn't know about that trapsense substitiution, it's going on my list of cool things a rogue should do.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Gloves of Storing? Lol, what? Wand chambers are far cheaper and do the same thing. Sure with infinite cash it doesn't fucking matter, but then you could make the storing gloves hold other stuff.