Best full-BAB non-Prestige non-multiclassed class in 3E?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Best full-BAB non-Prestige non-multiclassed class in 3E?

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm going to have to go ahead and say it's the Warblade. They get a mess of feats, have d12 hit points, and also have access to the bet st schools. There are a couple of manuevers off of Shadow Hand / Desert Wind / Setting Sun / Devoted Spirit they might want to plunder, but they can easily snag them with magic items. If you're using a die-rolling scheme and rolled really well they get some nice bonuses, too.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I have to say that this boot is the tastiest boot I have yet come across.

-Username17
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

FrankTrollman wrote:I have to say that this boot is the tastiest boot I have yet come across.

-Username17
Can someone translate this for me? Has Frank been drinking? If he has, why hasn't he been sharing?
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Sure it's good, but good shit is still shit?

I don't know or understand either.
<something clever>
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I think Frank is saying that looking for the best non-rogue sword-based class is little more than trying to find the best out of a pile of godawful options.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

But is it better than a triple gestalt CW Samurai / Healer / Soulknife? I mean, you can totally heal yourself. At least once every day! And you have a sword! Possibly several swords! And the ability to yell really loud! Who could possibly resist?
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

ubernoob wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:I have to say that this boot is the tastiest boot I have yet come across.

-Username17
Can someone translate this for me? Has Frank been drinking? If he has, why hasn't he been sharing?
As I understand it, Frank does share his drink and even takes care of those who go overboard on occasion. It's just that there's geographical issues with it happening regularly... stupid physical dimensions providing excuses.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

No Way Frank. My Boot is way tastier then that dumb boot. I love my tasty boot.

It's called the Lightning Warrior.

But it's okay guys. It doesn't have a Familiar.

Did I mention my boot is made out of chocolate cake and ice cream?
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

I'd actually say Ranger if we're including a few 3rd party spats (there were a couple that actually made a ranger's spell casting actually worth a crap), if Ist party stuff only, I'd say the Duskblade.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Would saying "cleric" be too disingenuous at this point?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Only slightly. It is technically non-full BAB, even though Divine Power makes it so.
<something clever>
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Would saying "cleric" be too disingenuous at this point?
No more so than the parameters of the original challenge.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Cleric or Ranger if you're below 7th level, Rogue's good if you can get 4th level wands.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

In keeping with the spirit of the original question: ranger or paladin. Neither are spectacular, but with SpC they become much more awesome. And Battle Blessing is nifty, too.

EDIT: Well, I figured ToB classes didn't count. Duskblade is pretty good, too.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

A well-built Duskblade isn't bad, at least at low levels. There's something to be said for Swift-casting Blade of Blood, then sauntering up to the enemy and smacking them with a +1 Spellstoring greatsword (spell stored: Scorching Ray) and channelling Shocking Grasp, for 14d6 + Strength and a half at 5th level - but that's a once per day deal, and deals 1d6 damage to you. If your DM rules Channeling not as a Standard Action but as something you can apply to an Attack Action, it's even better, because you can use it on a charge, Swift-True Striking then Power Attacking your BAB away with Leap Attack.

But you'll notice that the big thing here is they do a lot of damage at low levels, but not much else (although picking up Swift Fly later on can at least mean they're not completely useless at higher levels).

Also, during the first two levels, they can't even combine sword and spell, and despite having a full BAB and, quite possibly, Sleep or Colour Spray (I forget), they just feel a bit... disappointing then, because you're waiting for 3rd level.

Additionally, a Hexblade isn't completely terrible: earliest levels they have a d10 hit die and a full BAB, and they can also (as a Swift action) grant a penalty to enemies. At level 4, they can either wait to 6th level to take Improved Familiar and ride around on a stegosaurus or whatever (remember it has half of his HP, and he has a d10, making the familiar healthier than the party wizard. It also has his BAB) or they can have a pet ghost that gives even more penalties to enemies. Add Intimidate to the mix, and you can basically be throwing around [Fear] effects all day.

Also, at level (too high), he gets Polymorph. It's *supposed* to be "Curse your enemies into mice", but the fact is, with such shitty save DCs you are not doing that (unless you've Hexxed them, had the ghost penalise their save, AND intimidated them). What you are in fact doing is turning into something bigger than you are, like a lame version of a wizard.

That all being said, a Rogue is just better than either, and a full caster even more so. But at least they get some options and things. I dunno.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Man, Hexblades are a disappointment. They're so COOL but so ineffectual.

The cursing people is fun, the improved familiar is neat, and their spells are FUN. The Hound of Doom especially. Such a stylish combat character.

Too bad they have light armor, unworkable stat requirements, and no damage mechanic.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

True, that. About the best you can do in your turn is:

1. Not an Action: direct ghost dog to move next to the enemy (-2 penalty on saves and AC)
2. Move Action: wander up to them.
3. Standard Action: smack them in the head with Intimidating Strike. Take out a small penalty to hit. Intimidate them (Shaken for the encounter, they're now at -4 on saves).
4. Swift Action: Hex their ass. The -4 on saves probably means they fail the save (especially if you took Ability Focus, which you did - so far that's 2 out of your 2-3 feats at level 4), so now they're at -4 on most actions, -2 on AC, and -6 on saving throws.

Now a fellow team mate hits them with a spell and they die. Oh wait, they probably didn't need you for that. Still, next turn you might be able to do something to them. I don't know, scroll-cast a useful spell on them or something. Maybe at later levels you hatch into a Dragonborn and breath weapon them on following turns or something.

That's probably the best you can get out of them, but at least it works well in a team, setting the enemy up to get creamed by your friends.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I'm gonna go with the Paladin, mostly for their level 11+ gold dragon Pokemon they carry around in their pants.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

ubernoob wrote:

-Username17
I frankly thought he was thinking of this boot.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Hicks wrote:I'm gonna go with the Paladin, mostly for their level 11+ gold dragon Pokemon they carry around in their pants.
They do what now? I must know how you came to this conclusion, for it is an awesome conclusion.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

pg 204 of DMG, other mounts.

Mount should always be CR=Paladin ECL-3. Or if they can fly CR=ECL-4.

A level 10 Paladin can therefore, have various Dragon mounts.

You should pick the one that has the best HD to CR ratio.

Also, you get to add your special Paladin HD to the mount after choosing it, so you can then upgrade it to basically be a Dragon of CR=ECL.

You are awesome, and your mount is really your character.

To quote Frank, "You play a Gold Dragon with a tin can on it's back."

And you take Epic Leadership (cause you can pick your own feats) and then you have a bunch of Wizards of higher level then the people who wrote Wizard on their character sheet.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Koumei wrote:True, that. About the best you can do in your turn is:
1. Not an Action: direct ghost dog to move next to the enemy (-2 penalty on saves and AC)
2. Move Action: wander up to them.
3. Standard Action: smack them in the head with Intimidating Strike. Take out a small penalty to hit. Intimidate them (Shaken for the encounter, they're now at -4 on saves).
4. Swift Action: Hex their ass. The -4 on saves probably means they fail the save (especially if you took Ability Focus, which you did - so far that's 2 out of your 2-3 feats at level 4), so now they're at -4 on most actions, -2 on AC, and -6 on saving throws.
Level 1 Enchanter.
You get some sort of familiar.
You take your feat as Unsettling enchantment.
You take Distract Assailant (swift action spell, Will save or be Flat footed)

Every round you take a swift action to belt someone in the face with Distract Assailant. If they fail the save, they can't make AoOs, lose the Dex bonus to AC, and are totally sneak-attackable by the rogue. Also, they take another -2 to atk/AC.

A level 1 character (not even particularly optimized for the task) cast belt out a:
-4 AC, -2 atk, sneak attackable, denied AoOs SWIFT ACTION
against
-4 on most actions, -2 on AC, and -6 on saving throws FULL ROUND ACTION

Hexblade is just not very good.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

However, -6 saves is the key part. Though you can do better with Enervation, Quickened Ray of Sickness, and Fearsome backed Imperious Command if you're going to devote all your actions to it.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Roy wrote:Though you can do better with Enervation, Quickened Ray of Sickness, and Fearsome backed Imperious Command if you're going to devote all your actions to it.
That was a 4th-level character. Now, if it's general penalties (and rogue-synergy) you want, that level 1 Enchanter is better, but if it's saves specifically, then by the time your average Wizard is churning those spells out, the Hexblade is giving bigger penalties.

Except by that point, the Wizard and Enchanter are also doing better things than put penalties on saving throws. They are ending fights. Hell, they could be ending fights on level 1, if they feel like it. But come on, we're comparing local teams to Man. United here. That's a little unfair, this thread is about the most delicious boot.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Cloudy Conjuration Blockade. -2 to saves as swift action to at least one person. Now add a spell that level 3-5 Wizards can cast.