The many names of Mister Cavern

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

The many names of Mister Cavern

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Okay, I'd like to get a list of all the different names for Mister Cavern. I'm going to be making a joke out of it in CotEotM. Seems like this may have been discussed before, but I couldn't locate it by searching the Den. Anyway, I'll start:

Mister Cavern
Dungeon Master
Game Master
Storyteller
Judge

What other names are there? The doofier the better. You know, the pretentious shit from terrible RPGs where everyone in the art has a mullet.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Nobilis called them "The Hollyhock God"
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Master of Ceremonies
Pervo does Deus ex Machina
Director from Fiasco and PTA
Referee I think
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Seneschal

FATAL uses some term from roman times.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The WWE game uses General Manager
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Herr Grotta in Koumei's GAR game.
Dispatch in Ninja Burger.
Hollyhock God is a real winner, as seen above.
Storyteller in V:tM
The Authority in Kestral's Tattletale game that just got posted.
Yeah, that's all I got.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Director

Where did Mister Cavern stem from, anyway?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Hilarious mistranslation of a Czech RPG Frank reviewed, I think.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Some really shitty WoD ripoff that Frank reviewed had (I think) City Planner.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

codeGlaze wrote:Director

All you need to know
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Referee (traveller)
Arbiter (avatar: the last rpg)
Aedile (fatal)
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Fate (World of Synnibar)
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Koumei wrote:

All you need to know
About a month or two ago I was looking for the source, I never found this.
Thanks! :D
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

GOD

Least that's a one I've heard unofficially I'd imagine, others:

Zombie Master from AFMBE

Game Control from Spycraft

The Marshal from Deadlands
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_ ... horse_form

Mister Cavern is the name of a racing horse
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Keeper, in CoC.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Douchebag in Raoûl
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In my Mythos/TTGL mashup (that I swear I will finish at some point), I called MC the Elder One.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Campaign Manager
Story Guide
Animator
Korgan0 wrote:Some really shitty WoD ripoff that Frank reviewed had (I think) City Planner.
Nightlife is really shitty, but it literally predates V:tM by a whole year.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I called the guy running a particularly bad game the BM to his face for over two hours before he noticed.

In my defense, the adventure was basically "ass-rape Count's wizard until he starts crying in real life". Fuck off, I was 12 and didnt have any friends.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I remember a friend of mine used to refer to the GM as GOD, as in Game Operation Director.

I never really cared for that one.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Really I think MC is the best, but more because of the traditional meaning of Master of Ceremonies, and second is probably thematically specific stuff that isn't too pompous.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Administrator (from Top Secret)
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

This is the one our product uses, but I'm not sure it's pretentious enough to meet JigokuBosatsu's requirements. Perhaps I should update it to "Grand High Railroader".

echo
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Does Paranoia actually call the MC "Friend Computer," or did I make that up?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.