[IC]Back to Basics

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas follows the others down the hallway, with a final wave to Surak. "Wish us luck!"

He waits patiently while they search the area. "Let's check what's in this room, before we go any further."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If possible, Gilles will make a Religion check on the amulet. He also takes a look as to whether the pearls are black pearls or not, as black pearls are sacred to Blibdoolpoolp; Gilles has no qualms about looting from the dead, even the children of the Sea Mother (as a prophet, all of his actions are ultimately done for her) but he is curious to know if this offering was the work of fellow Whips (which I suppose is another Religion check.)

Gilles plans to sacrifice to Blibdoolpoolp after this quest is over (if he survives, that is). If they catch the gnomes, he's already sacrificing one of those (during the adventure) as a bonus.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The pearls are grey-colored, but seem flawless. Gilles can make out little of the amulet - the demon on the front is Malog, who commands thirty legions of spirits, but the sigil on the back smacks more of sorcery than theurgy. Along the rim of the medallion he can faintly see sigils written in the language of magic.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"Well we have wine and pearls and owl feathers of a sort now. If the next few rooms take the fighting spirit out of us we can rest back up top and try to let Tim investigate our items. Anyway on to the next room"

Atani heads next to Lucas in the T-junction. "Everyone please prepare yourselves for combat, lest I rudely interrupt your search with attackers flooding from an opened portal."

Atani will stand as far away from the door as possible and hurl the weight into it with the strength of a giant.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard carefully puts the hammer in a waistpouch, the name makes him feel suspicious about wielding it but if worst comes to worse he'll try swinging it at a skeleton.

Flintbeard figures the hallways will get the wrecking ball treatment and will follow that up with detect traps, detect hidden passages, detect slopes, history, listening.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Atani's ball and chain/rope smashes into the wooden door - knocking the rust loose from a trap, as a hidden spring releases a small dart! However, because of distance and Atani's armor, the dart does little more than break his skin (1 hp damage).

Flintbeard, moving along after the smashing ball, finds no further traps or hidden passes; the floor of the hallway slopes slightly down as it heads south. He hears nothing, and the damaged door can tell him nothing of the history of the place.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

"Hold, Atani! Let me check the wound lest you be diseased or poisoned."

Xaxus uses his Heal skill on Atani to take care of poisons and diseases, and restore 1d3 hp if possible.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Xaxus quickly determines by the blackening veins leading away from the wound that Atani has been poisoned, and quickly sets to work to try and mediate the result (the care must continue uninterrupted for 5 rounds if Atani is to gain the bonus to his saving throw vs. poison.)

Unfortunately, the appearance of bony hands at the broken wooden door, pulling it apart from the inside suggests that interruptions are on their way...

(Currently, Flintbeard is nearest the door; Atani and Xaxus are about five feet behind, the rest of the group are spread out among the corridor.)

Tim asks to look at the demon medallion, since he is too far in the back to do much good.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"Perhaps you fine men....would be so good....as to permit me a brief...rest"
Atani begins to sink to his knees, his back slumping against the wall behind him
"Tim!" he says with strained vigor "Pull me out of here, I'll only be in the way!"
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas will attempt to Turn the skeletons once he can see them. "Hold, evil ones!"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

(Lucas is a fighter/mage/thief, not a cleric.)
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Dorgan, watching the scene unfold, spins his morningstars once in his hands and approaches the door, shielding Atani and Xaxus.

"On it," he says grimly.

He will attack whatever emerges from the door, preferably while it's passing through the hole.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Ancient History wrote:(Lucas is a fighter/mage/thief, not a cleric.)
(Fighter/Mage/Cleric this time around, not enough Dex to even qualify for Thief.)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

(Bugger, I never fixed the link. Which god?)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Assuming he's still holding it, Gilles will hand the demon medallion to Tim, if he can reach him. Regardless, he draws his (magic) shortsword and readies to attack the skeletons.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Lucas raises his hand in an imperial gesture, and for a moment he seems to change - to take on the appearance of an old, powerful, bearded man, lightning bristling from within, fireworks playing beneath his flesh as he channels the divine energies of Ukko - and the skeletons shrink and retreat from his display.

Atani, for his part, looks very green as he is ministered to by Xaxus; the cleric spreads a poultice of herbs and powdered dwarf urine on the wound to draw out the poison, murmuring a formula to Urea the Golden, the Patron Saint of Medicine and Rightful Revenge in the Nerullian scriptures. After several tense minutes, Atani's color improves, and the blackness fades from his veins.
(Atani has passed his save vs. poisons; the puncture-wound from the dart remains, however, and cannot be healed by the Healing proficiency.)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Did the skeleton look similar to the 'only-magic-and-fire-hurts-it' huecuva we defeated?

Flintbeard checks the doorway for traps, then throw a lit torch into the room to illuminate it.

If Atani allows, Flintbeard can take up the wrecking ball to check for traps as Atani recovers from the poison, followed by checking stonework, history, listening, and tracks.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Flintbeard caught only a bare glance of the skeletons, but they did not appear to be dressed the same. He has already checked the doorway for traps (none), stonework (slight downward grade), history (can't tell), and listening (nada). And tracks were destroyed by Atani's bit with the wrecking ball.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Standing Atani says "Thank you Xaxus, and good work Lucas you can count me as rightly impressed. When I said the next room may take some of our fighting spirit I seemed to be playing the Seer. I for one could use a rest before we push further. We know what we're dealing with now and I'd be glad to pull back for a bit, get a good meal in and strategize. I could also use what I had left in me to try to move the statue you wanted Dorgan, as you seemed to think it was worth a fair bit"

If the party is on board I'd head back up topside for the night, see if I can move the statue and give any magic items that Tim wanted to look at over to him.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard agrees with going back up topside. Flintbeard will set a small trap at the east door (using the wrecked remains of the door to obscure it) that lead to the T-intersection with the huecuva coffin to splash anything that steps in it with flammable oil (as well as raise a racket to alert us).

['Set Snares' is a dex check at -1 modifier
A small snare takes 1 hour to set, requires a proficiency check to create/set. A failed check means it won't work. DM decides if it catches anything when it's set. Man-traps take 1d8 hours to make, and traps to catch large sized targets take 2d4 hours with the help two to three people and the proficiency is rolled at -4 proficiency.]
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Tim says that he can prepare identify, but at this level he has a low level of chance of success and would only apply to one item. But he's game if they are.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Tim's right, it would probably make more sense to save our pearls until Tim's gone through a bit more trial by fire. I'll test the items to see if they're dangerous and if they don't try to kill me we can assume they are probably passively helping in some fashion.

The idol will be challenge and reward enough for now
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Dorgan is fine with heading topside, and agrees to help Atani move the statue.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas concentrates on holding off the undead until everyone else is safely out of the corridor.

"We should set a watch, and keep a fire going. Just in case."
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Once we get topside Atani will follow Lucas' advice and try to close the stone door behind the party with the help of the King's men, set a watch, and keep a fire going throughout the night that our guards are tasked to keep alight.