medieval chest aesthetics

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

medieval chest aesthetics

Post by OgreBattle »

a 12th century chest made from a tree trunk segment (branch nub attached) in Gamla Uppsala, Sweden

Interesting example of a form aytpical of the D&D mimic chests. If you know of any other forms medieval European or elsewhere chests took please share in this thread
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

I thought this thread was going to be about plate armor for women... :ohwell:
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I am glad not to have to be the first to made a silly comment like that.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Most medieval chests are basically rectangular prisms. Almost none of them have the rounded lid that we put on Mimic pictures.

The ones that have artistic touches rather than just being boxes with or without legs, have religious iconography or geometric symbols on them. And since European medieval religious art was pretty bad, it mostly doesn't look very good.

This 12th century reliquary chest looks like a school project by 4th graders.

-Username17
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Fun fact, old religious iconography had a very strict set of aesthetic requirements tenuously rooted in archaic bible fanfiction which is why it all looks incredibly bizarre, but in the same way every time. Like the saints are all drawn with thin noses because in the divine grace of heaven the breath is no longer necessary.

"The faces of the saints have large, almond-shaped eyes, enlarged ears, long thin noses, and small mouths. Icon painters attempt to indicate that each sensory organ, having received the Divine Grace, was sanctified and had ceased to be the usual sensory organ of a biological man."

Not entirely relevant but I always think it's a kind of wild fun fact about weird medieval religious art.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

I thought this might have something to do with chainmail bikinis and now I am much less interested.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Shrapnel wrote:Skyrim has a LOAD of those.

(nsfw btw)
Only problem is that it conflicts with Devious Devices, so if you try to activate both, some stuff won't show up.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Relevant to our interests.

http://www.scaramangashop.co.uk/Fashion ... age-boxes/
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

shinimasu wrote:Fun fact, old religious iconography had a very strict set of aesthetic requirements tenuously rooted in archaic bible fanfiction which is why it all looks incredibly bizarre, but in the same way every time. Like the saints are all drawn with thin noses because in the divine grace of heaven the breath is no longer necessary.

"The faces of the saints have large, almond-shaped eyes, enlarged ears, long thin noses, and small mouths. Icon painters attempt to indicate that each sensory organ, having received the Divine Grace, was sanctified and had ceased to be the usual sensory organ of a biological man."

Not entirely relevant but I always think it's a kind of wild fun fact about weird medieval religious art.
I did a tour of the British museum with a guide who delighted in comparing works that were believed to be by the same artist done at roughly the same time for secular and religious purposes. Not that there were a lot of examples, as the surviving medieval art is almost all religious, but those that existed showed that the characteristics of religious art were deliberate stylistic choices, not that artists didn't understand perspective or other such arguments. Old religious art looks the way it looks because that's how it was supposed to look, not because they couldn't make it more realistic.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Are we sure there wasn’t one influential artist who couldn’t paint people for shit so he made up excuses for their appearance and those excuses became rules?

I’m imagining a medieval Rob Liefield explaining the holiness of extra pockets, teeth and abs. And the perils of human sized feet.
Last edited by erik on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Leifield, in the year of our Lord 1058, wrote:"The saints, unencumbered by sin and so ready to meet god in heaven, are so light that only the tips of their atrophied feet touch the ground."
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made