Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I could see using the whole "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" to try and give sperm and ova rights, but... well, even the most crack pot pro-life person doesn't think "life" starts with sex cells...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:I could see using the whole "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" to try and give sperm and ova rights, but... well, even the most crack pot pro-life person doesn't think "life" starts with sex cells...
You know... unfortunately... they do.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:I could see using the whole "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" to try and give sperm and ova rights, but... well, even the most crack pot pro-life person doesn't think "life" starts with sex cells...
State constitution, not declaration of independence with no legal standing.

@Crissa. The short answer is it doesn't.

I assume they put some shit in the Con that says "Contraception is teh bads!" But it's not actually helpful, because Griswold and Roe still apply, and Constitutional imaginary privacy rights that were selectively incorporated by judicial review about the 14th amendment apply equally as forcefully to state constitutions as they do to state laws.

Unless they are attempting to give the Supreme Court a chance to overturn Roe V Wade, but frankly, the chances of that are small, and they could do the same shit by passing another law.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I assume they elected to forget about the whole "If I have normal sex, then even if I do impregnate the woman, then that's one sperm that lives (more if the ova has divided before this and we get non-identical hexuplets or whatever) and the rest all die. If I don't have sex at all, or even beat off, then an equal number +1 still all die as my body recycles them."?

Maybe they like protecting sperm because they have so much in common: about one in a million manages to turn into a real person.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So taken to the extreme then, this idea would mean that [male] masturbation is a crime, as well as having a period... Right?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

You think the religious right approves of either of those acts or the kinds of people that commit them?

If so you haven't been paying attention to the religious right.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I'm about as "right" as they fall, politically, and I can honestly say that I absolutly approve of [male] masturbation, as well as my girlfriend having a period, just not both in the same room at the same time. She has to cut that out. :roll: :ugone2far:
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Just as long as you understand that you're a heretic, then :)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Hicks wrote:I'm about as "right" as they fall, politically, and I can honestly say that I absolutly approve of [male] masturbation, as well as my girlfriend having a period, just not both in the same room at the same time. She has to cut that out. :roll: :ugone2far:
You do know that nailing her when she's menstruating usually helps her with her pains, right? Like, sex is the best cure there is for cramps that doesn't have side effects.

Just saying.
Last edited by Neeeek on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Koumei wrote:Just as long as you understand that you're a heretic, then :)
A little heresy is a good thing; keeps you thinking and in the faith of the immortal god emporer. But if the inquisition asks, you didn't hear it from me... :bolt:
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

More gibberish. Apparently, not mentioning Red Dawn until paragraph 23 and deigning to mention To Wong Foo is horribly slanted coverage.
Newsbuster's [url=http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2009/09/15/wapo-patrick-swayze-obit-gets-his-drag-queen-movie-red-dawn wrote:Tim Graham[/url]][The Washington Post's] obituary for Patrick Swayze begins obviously by noting his big hits "Ghost" and "Dirty Dancing," but doesn't get to "Red Dawn" until paragraph 23. Even then, Bernstein wrongly suggests he had a supporting role.
My spouse has a betting pool on how long until they start to blame Obama for his death, being as he's an icon to the winger set.

-Crissa
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

Hicks wrote:I absolutly approve of [male] masturbation
But no masturbating for chicks?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Native Jovian wrote:But no masturbating for chicks?
I can't speak for Hicks, but the reason I put a specification in there is that female masturbation doesn't generally involve wasting reproductive material, so it wouldn't be touched on by this new idiocy (in theory).

The only reason why I, personally, disapprove of masturbation is that it's a waste of valuable time when I could be having sex instead.
Neeek wrote:You do know that nailing her when she's menstruating usually helps her with her pains, right? Like, sex is the best cure there is for cramps that doesn't have side effects.
QFT
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Maj wrote:Truth.
There is nothing but turth in the quote above.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Maj wrote: The only reason why I, personally, disapprove of masturbation is that it's a waste of valuable time when I could be having sex instead.
This is possibly the only valid reason to disapprove*. Well done.

*And obviously doesn't apply to your partner being away/not in the mood/highly infectious, or the person in question being a lonely, miserable old cow.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Maj wrote:I can't speak for Hicks, but the reason I put a specification in there is that female masturbation doesn't generally involve wasting reproductive material, ...
I don’t want to nit pick, but the whole system is designed for waste. The average life of a sperm even within the male is only a matter of days (this wasn’t as easy as you might think to try to Google, most sources only care about sperm life after ejaculation). Depending on the environment the life span outside the male is minutes to hours to days.

Despite the Monty Python song “every sperm is sacred,” the Catholic Church has always considered masturbation as an offense against chastity; which is really more of a proper attitude towards procreation in general.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't understand how that's possible. One time during a deep depression, I didn't achieve any sort of release for a period of about two months and got painfully backed up. I honestly don't understand how a man can go great lengths of time and not be in constant agony.

I have no opinions on female masturbation. They can do whatever the hell they want, they obviously don't want anything to do with me regardless.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That's why we know they're lying or delusional, Count. It's also possible for a male to have relief while asleep, too.

-Crissa
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I think you may find, remarkably the "nocturnal emissions" are also frowned upon by the religious right.

I also love how Tzor is pretending to be reasonable by disapproving of masturbation on a "chastity" basis instead. "I'm more sane because I have even less of a reason behind my disapproval!" That's hilarious.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

tzor didn't frame that sentence in that his opinion, but of the Catholic Church, which we know isn't in the business of much reality when it comes to human reproduction.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa wrote:That's why we know they're lying or delusional, Count. It's also possible for a male to have relief while asleep, too.

-Crissa
No, he's seriously right. The backup isn't sperm, it's other seminal fluids hanging out in the seminal vesicle. It can cause prostate problems if it isn't 'treated'.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Count Arioch wrote:I didn't achieve any sort of release for a period of about two months and got painfully backed up.
If I get turned on for any major length of time (more than an hour or two), and I don't get relief, I get some serious cramps. I have no idea why, but I do.
tzor wrote:I don’t want to nit pick, but the whole system is designed for waste.
There's a lot of truth in that, but the point remains that women can't lose eggs by masturbating.
tzor wrote:Despite the Monty Python song “every sperm is sacred,” the Catholic Church has always considered masturbation as an offense against chastity; which is really more of a proper attitude towards procreation in general.
Seeing as how I was not raised Catholic, I have no idea about the Church's view on things... If the issue with masturbation is actually chastity, not wasting of reproductive material, then what's the deal with contraception?
Last edited by Maj on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Because contraception reduces the obvious consequence of heterosexual intercourse--namely, pregnancy. The threat of pregnancy is enough to shy away enough people who would've otherwise had sex if there's no way to reduce it.

Thus the church achieves its goals of having less people fucking.

This stance of course creates a lot of other problems like, oh, AIDs and unwanted/unsupported pregnancies. Because people love to have sex and the threat of death and loss of livelihood will only deter a fraction of the people. But if you sufficiently lack empathy then hundreds of thousands of people getting HIV is a small price to pay to stop people from having sex, eh?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

No, maj, the female system merely bleeds them out constantly or consistently, depending upon who you ask.

-Crissa