Moderator: Moderators

DMReckless
Journeyman

Not that you'd want to...

Post by DMReckless »

...nor would they probably take you, but:

SKR's job has been posted.

My first thought was of y'all.
Last edited by DMReckless on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Ok, Ill send my resume.

:mrgreen:
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office
BWAHAHAHA
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Participate in rules adjudication discussions for upcoming errata and FAQ issues
Frequent interaction with Pathfinder players and game masters through the paizo.com messageboards and in person at conventions
I'm guessing this disqualifies most of the den. A lot people who come here do so because they frequently get banned from any other forums they visit. Generally for hostile/aggressive tones.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Then again they are replacing SKR, so maybe that's a plus?

Edit:
Ability to pass a design test to be distributed to selected candidates
Omg now I'm dying from laughter.
Last edited by Seerow on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I'll send my resume.
Last edited by Hicks on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Seerow wrote:Then again they are replacing SKR, so maybe that's a plus?

Edit:
Ability to pass a design test to be distributed to selected candidates
Omg now I'm dying from laughter.
I want to see this design test. I can only assume it is a 3.5 Monk and the question is: How do you make this class comparable to other classes?

All answers that change anything at all are failures, only answers that turn in the paper with "it is already perfect" get a passing grade.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well IIRC I can find the one Mearls had to take for 3th edition + his answers.

Found it:
Development test (Note:scroll down a bit to the "Can You Do It? The Development Test" part)
Mearls' answers (note how high the monk is in the poll)
Design test
Last edited by ishy on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fuck it, I'll apply, why not.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

ishy wrote:Well IIRC I can find the one Mearls had to take for 3th edition + his answers.

Found it:
Development test (Note:scroll down a bit to the "Can You Do It? The Development Test" part)
Mearls' answers (note how high the monk is in the poll)
Design test
Mike Mearls: I believe that longstrider is powerful for a 1st level spell, but not overly so when compared to magic missile
lmao
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

"Minimum of 5 years of game design experience, designing, writing, and publishing content for roleplaying games" - that gets me. I'm fairly certain I don't have what they consider experience for this.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It gets even better when you read the comments by Jesse about how the test was supposed to be answered.
Jesse Decker wrote:In this case, there’s a right answer. Longstrider is a very powerful spell, solely because of its duration.
It's ten feet of movement, dude. I understand that at high level it is essentially free, but it's also ten feet of movement and no one fucking cares.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

FrankTrollman wrote:It gets even better when you read the comments by Jesse about how the test was supposed to be answered.
Jesse Decker wrote:In this case, there’s a right answer. Longstrider is a very powerful spell, solely because of its duration.
It's ten feet of movement, dude. I understand that at high level it is essentially free, but it's also ten feet of movement and no one fucking cares.

-Username17
Yeah seriously, those answers are depressing. Like the thing where +2 to saves against a school with Spell Focus as a pre-req is apparently not weak as fuck. Or the part where Longstrider would be OP with touch range because then the whole party could move at 40ft (unless any of them had heavy armor) against those 150ft move speed enemies at high level.

Or the part where Mearls didn't mention CoDzilla at all, but basically said the Cleric is the most powerful class (at least one legitimate answer) because everyone needs his healing during combat, so he can force a retreat (not at all a legitimate reason).

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

FrankTrollman wrote:It gets even better when you read the comments by Jesse about how the test was supposed to be answered.

-Username17
Even Mike Mearls himself eventually pointed out that Barbarians get it at level 1 with no duration as an all day ability. Calling it strong-end of anything is really pretty hilarious.

It's even a fucking enhancement bonus, so it's not like it stacks with anything you'll regularly have up in combat like haste.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Mike Mearls wrote:Granting a character the ability to cast two spells on his action opens up some potentially troublesome combinations. For example, any swift action damaging spell that requires an attack roll will almost invariably end up comboed with true strike.
Except that most damaging spells are ranged touches, meaning there's usually no need to bother boosting your attack roll.

While he's right about swift actions potentially being troubling, damaging spells aren't the reason why.

Once again proving my theory that designers don't really know how to play their own game very well.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Oh fuck yeah. I forgot, swift action spells are for fucking warrior mages only. And definitely pure Wizards don't use any spells that are swift action in order to make their spellcasting better, like Assay Resistance, or Spell Enhancer, or Invoke Magic.

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Jesse Decker is a totally confusing individual. He identifies CoDzilla as being a potential problem, but then calls Longstrider probably too good.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

People didn't come to understand the design problems of 3.5 through the power of expanding knowledge, thorough analysis, and hindsight; the thing that got through to people was memes. 3.5's problems are CoDzilla and caster edition because everyone on the internet says those words over and over and over and over. Neither Mearls nor Jesse talk about how longstrider will help the players defeat encounters or overcome challenges; they just didn't expect that a high level caster would be able to get an all-day +10ft movement speed buff for pennies; ergo imbalanced. There's no evaluation involved.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

They must have been snacking on paint chips again. I like Longstrider more than most in Pathfailure given that Travel Domain clerics get an untyped 10 foot bonus to movement as well as Longstrider access, but even stapling both of those things onto a low level archer cleric is more like a stupid pet trick than a useful battle plan. Even just compared to other level 1 domain picks I'd rather have Enlarge Person, Cause Fear, Entangle, Protection from Evil or Obscuring Mist.
bears fall, everyone dies
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Mount lets you move with a speed of 60ft. That makes it 50% to 200% better than Longstrider, right? (Depending on whether you're comparing the size of the result or the size of the bonus)
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I admit that I was impressed with Mearls seeing problems with the Burning Barrier of Breath writeup that I didn't. Like whether the ability was supernatural or spell like. I tend to write abilities for homebrew games in shortform, not much longer than that entry, and then correct or detail them when people find that it's missing information.

Seeing Mearls do something better than me has harmed my self value.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Incidentally, if it doesn't have text saying that it's Supernatural or Spell-like, then it defaults to Extraordinary, like all other feats.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Welp, just sent in my resume and cover letter. I'm taking this seriously because I need a job, and it can't be worse than a shitty minimum wage retail gig.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I'd apply, but I am half a world away.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I'm being too hopeful here, but I would find it a good thing to have someone here making Pathfinder a more tolerable game, and fun game to play. Though unlikely we would be able to "fix Pathfinder", but least can hopefully get some cool classes or what not approved to bring the game more on track. Though, I guess anything above "fighter level", is going to be met with the equivalent of screaming monkeys eh?

I'd consider applying for that goal, but I lack the insane 5years, and not readily familiar with Pathfinder enough to qualify I'm sure.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History