It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Have you considered taking a shit in her shoes?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I wouldn't say I have an Evil Twin flaw, because we are rather different looking. My flaw is ACTUALLY Red Tape, as literally any time I have to work with any institution it is a Kafkaesque nightmare of delays and misfiles on the institution's part.

Take my brother's DUI in California under my name, he actually admitted in court to the judge that I was totally unconnected to his crimes and that he was a dumb drunk who used my name when arrested. Like it is in the court record. And due to a clerical error even tho the court said to exonerate me and remove the DUI in my name.... they just didn't do that... and I only found out that they didn't when I applied for a Commercial Drivers Liscence and the state of Arkansas first said, "you already have a Liscence here but this picture isn't you" (it was my brother) and after that was taken care of, "nah. You got a DUI in california. No CDL 4 U." 6 years after my brother admitted in court and the court ordered to remove the DUI from my record.

When I went to manager training for Wal-Mart... I spent 2 months fighting the background company that said I was my brother. For 8 weeks I wasn't an official management trainee, I was just a person who showed up to class who wasn't technically allowed to be there. I made my own name tag because they couldn't print an official one. My brother called the Las Vegas Police Department and spoke to the arresting detective and I sent my fingerprints to the detective, and my trainer, the detective, my brother... everybody agreed that I was not arrested for drug possession in Las Vegas.... except the background company. The Friday before I was to take my management position, they finally approved me; after fighting tooth and nail every day for 8 weeks straight.

I did get actual True Love tho, and have been happily married to my best friend for 8 years.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

If you break your budget, you're never going to leave the house anyway. With the amount you save, she could Uber it every time and you'd still come out ahead. I'd tell her you plan on seeing it yourself and if you really like it, you want her to see it, too.
-This space intentionally left blank
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well the cheaper place went contingent as it got a trio of all-cash offers before I could even see it, so this particular place is no longer a point of contention.

The more pressing issue now is figuring out how Count Arioch has telepathic contact with our cat.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I have to say, if you can't agree on a maximum price, a location and a layout/setup for the house, maybe you should do a bit more talking before thinking about offers.

That said, multiple price drops means the owner/realtor didn't know the value of the house. Meaning the latest price might still be completely off.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ehhh, I dunno bout that. Often there are so many variables that you cannot hope to be exactly on the same page for any given house without seeing it and talking about that particular abode. You won’t find the perfect house that meets all your criteria or if you do then somebody just put in a cash offer over list for it just now. So you have to weigh pros and cons accordingly.

Best way to find a compromise is keep looking and talking about what ya see.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

You can always put in what you think is an affordable offer. Worst they can do is laugh at you and say no. Maybe they counter, and you get a good haggle on...
-This space intentionally left blank
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

My post probably came out more assholish than I wanted. But that's the gist of what I meant.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

deaddmwalking wrote:You can always put in what you think is an affordable offer. Worst they can do is laugh at you and say no. Maybe they counter, and you get a good haggle on...
It has been the case that I have seen an owner dislike a buyer's offer so much that not only did she say no, but it was no with prejudice. She did not want to sell to that buyer, and was not interested in hearing other offers.

That being said, you sort of have to have the perfect storm of circumstances for that to happen, and I don't think that Josh is there. But it can happen.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Maj wrote:It has been the case that I have seen an owner dislike a buyer's offer so much that not only did she say no, but it was no with prejudice. She did not want to sell to that buyer, and was not interested in hearing other offers.
One can totally make an offer low enough that it comes as an insult to the seller. It helps to know the expected price range and make an offer that's low but also sensible.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

MisterDee wrote:I have to say, if you can't agree on a maximum price, a location and a layout/setup for the house, maybe you should do a bit more talking before thinking about offers.

That said, multiple price drops means the owner/realtor didn't know the value of the house. Meaning the latest price might still be completely off.
erik wrote: Ehhh, I dunno bout that. Often there are so many variables that you cannot hope to be exactly on the same page for any given house without seeing it and talking about that particular abode. You won’t find the perfect house that meets all your criteria or if you do then somebody just put in a cash offer over list for it just now. So you have to weigh pros and cons accordingly.

Best way to find a compromise is keep looking and talking about what ya see.
Well, yeah to both of these.

We're not quite ready to offer -- and that's why we haven't made any offers yet.

We have significant, but not insurmountable differences on how much to value location vs condition vs cost savings. We're close enough that if those other variables line up then we might make our first offer in as little as a week, but if they don't then we might hold off for as long as another couple months.

It was just a severe enough shock to me that I needed to vent when I found that "neighborhood" was such a dealbreaker to her for on a place within walking distance of our current rental.
MisterDee wrote: My post probably came out more assholish than I wanted. But that's the gist of what I meant.
And not by 'Den standards it didn't. :p
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Maj wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:You can always put in what you think is an affordable offer. Worst they can do is laugh at you and say no. Maybe they counter, and you get a good haggle on...
It has been the case that I have seen an owner dislike a buyer's offer so much that not only did she say no, but it was no with prejudice. She did not want to sell to that buyer, and was not interested in hearing other offers.

That being said, you sort of have to have the perfect storm of circumstances for that to happen, and I don't think that Josh is there. But it can happen.
Yeah, but unless you have an existing social relationship with the seller, it doesn't hurt you for them to hate you. If you put in what you feel is a reasonable offer and they shut you down (as I expect might happen) you haven't actually LOST anything. On the other hand, if they say YES, you've scored a deal that seems pretty incredible.

It is true - if you submit a low bid, the seller might not entertain further offers FROM YOU. But given the status, that might actually be a positive. Josh gets to win points from the Missus by agreeing to her house choice; and he doesn't overspend if the seller agrees.

As an FYI, if your parents (or hers) are in a position to help, it is lucrative to receive a loan and then simply not pay it back. Loans do not count as income. This is Trump's favorite tactic and the only reason he has any money at all.

Edit - I am not a financial planner, nor am I qualified to give financial advice of this nature. You should probably check it out in detail considering your state/location to ensure that you are not going to get into trouble with the IRS [end standard disclaimer]

Double Edit - There's an article which is consistent with my understanding. Per the article, you have a lifelong limit of $1million in forgiven loans. I would expect that close relatives who are looking to help you out would qualify here.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Like I said, you sort of have to have a perfect storm of conditions for this to be an issue, and I don't think they necessarily apply to Josh. But having been collateral damage in this sort of negotiation, I just want to caution against things that might incur the asshole tax.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

... and a goofy Hanukkah, a crazy Kwanzaa, a somber Yule, a nude Saturnalia, a non-binary Life Day, and a happy belated Beethoven's birthday.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yep Hans Gruber has fallen off of Nakatomi Plaza Tower, now it is christmas!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Merry Everything, you guys!! :maj: :maj:
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Stupid laptop doing that thing again when I have to have the cord of the power supply at the right angle for it to work. Got a fairly new power supply, worked fine for a bit, worked fine except when at the wrong angle for a bit, now this, and from pat experience it'll get very temperamental...been few a few power supplies that way, but I think I'll have to get a new laptop soon, this one's getting on a bit.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Thaluikhain wrote:Stupid laptop doing that thing again when I have to have the cord of the power supply at the right angle for it to work. Got a fairly new power supply, worked fine for a bit, worked fine except when at the wrong angle for a bit, now this, and from pat experience it'll get very temperamental...been few a few power supplies that way, but I think I'll have to get a new laptop soon, this one's getting on a bit.
Yeah, power connections on laptops are as bad for coming loose as usb ports on the front of desktops. It can maybe be fixed by soldering, but you'll lose about half of the screws that hold the laptop together if you're anything like me. They're not long enough to hold themselves in, and are partially glued.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Happy New Year, Gaming Den. Hope everything worked out with your Holidays and family-wise.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Funny you should say that . .

Any of you lot know how to get dried blood out of carpet?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:Funny you should say that . .

Problem is the cleaner they use usually turns it black. You could bleach it, but that's not great unless the carpet was supposed to be white-ish anyway.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Stahlseele wrote:Funny you should say that . .

I don't know if you can find it in Germany, but laundry stain remover should work. Not the big containers that work on a variety of stains, but the little bottles that are specific for a type of stain. They have them for wine, blood, coffee, fats, etc. Put some of water on it, a dab of that, then some hot water and dab it up with an absorbent cloth.

Or try This.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Thank you you two!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Never hot water on a blood stain. It makes it set. I've had luck with hydrogen peroxide, but it can take a little scrubbing. I have also had good success with laundry detergent with oxyclean in it. Similar principle to peroxide. (Dilute with water and apply with toothbrush.)

As always, test on inconspicuous area of carpet to check for color fastness. If you have to use a little more liquid than you expect, place a towel on the carpet and stand on it to absorb the liquid in order to dry. Good luck!
Last edited by Maj on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Or if you find the color an improvement then obtain a larger amount of blood and coat the carpet evenly.