I GOT A JOB!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

I GOT A JOB!

Post by Hicks »

WHOOOO! After 3 years of unemployment, I have a vocation: Presbyterian Youth Leader, a position I wanted for 10 years. I'm just so... happy. UNNEEDED EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!11111!!!!OMGWTHBBQ!

...Ahem

Nothing to see here folks, move along :3
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Congrats dude. That's pretty awesome.

So what does a youth leader exactly do?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
erik
King

Post by erik »

In my experience they get youth females impregnated and go to jail. Be careful Hicks and be sure to wear protection.

Also, congrats. =-)
Last edited by erik on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

@Cynic: Twice a week, lead a 2 hour meeting of 6 or more teenagers in a light dinner, physical activity, and finally bible lesson/devotional. Additional duties include scheduling/chaperoning youth on community outreach missions (such as the regional soup kitchen) and activities (like Laser Tag).

@erik: ...I'm just going to ignore that first part of your post and say thanks.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Laser Tag as part of the job? Damn you.

Anyway, good work there. I once did voluntary Friday-night youth group things to help keep the kids entertained (see: try to direct their violence away from each other), and it can be exhausting, but generally worth it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Sounds like fun. It's nice to hear about something working out for a change.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Three years? Wow!

Congrats! I hope it goes well.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Hicks wrote:@erik: ...I'm just going to ignore that first part of your post and say thanks.
... so.... no protection then?
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

PhoneLobster wrote:
Hicks wrote:@erik: ...I'm just going to ignore that first part of your post and say thanks.
... so.... no protection then?
:rofl:

On a more serious note, congrats, Hicks.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ah, my work here is done. =-D

Seriously though, congrats. Being unemployed sucks and it is doubly awesome to get a job and have it be one you've been wanting for so long.
tzor
Prince

Re: I GOT A JOB!

Post by tzor »

Hicks wrote:... I have a vocation: Presbyterian Youth Leader, ...[
OH, Congratulations.
:roll: Is this the point where I start to mention the problem of Child Molestation incidents among Presbyterian Youth Leaders? :roll:

The Office of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) estimates that there are about 50 clergy sexual misconduct cases every year. Although cases in the PCUSA tend to involve adult women and male pastors, there are sometimes cases reported that involve children and other men.
Yes, that's right, nothing to see here ... move along now.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That's it. Tzor, you are no longer my friend.

This person fought for 3 fucking years to get out of unemployment and you sit in your fucking mansion on long island making more money than an honest working man could ever dream, and you DARE to accuse Hicks of being a pedophile!?

You know what, fuck you. You're a crazy old man with a harelip and the worst halitosis I have ever smelled in my life. You have had everything handed to you in your life and if you acutally had to WORK for a living your fragile, frail body would dissolve into dust due to the extreme atrophy you face.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I did what count? I don't think I did what you think I did. I don't accuse no one of nothing. Although, he might want to be carefull of his coworkers ... just saying. :tongue:
erik
King

Post by erik »

To be fair, I made the same jibe earlier (about the profession, not Hicks, just as Tzor did). For the record, I don't believe that Hicks will have this problem, but I have personally met a youth leader (catholic, not that it matters) who did.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Congrats, Hicks! Unemployment can really suck.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Congrats on becoming gainfully employed, Hicks.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I've always been curious about the term "gainfully employed."

So is volunteering Ungainfully employed? What if you work overtime but aren't paid extra for that. Would that be ungainfully employed? Say you were on maternity leave for the year but your company gave everyone a bonus, would that be "gainfully unemployed"?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Do youth leaders get paid hourly or on salary?
tzor wrote:I don't think I did what you think I did.
The capitalized "H" in "OH, Congratulations" along with the smilies and ellipses in the spolier made it look to me like you were passive-aggressively sniping at Hicks. I would have read it in a better light if you'd ended the spolier with emphasis on the need to be careful of his coworkers.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Sir Neil wrote:Do youth leaders get paid hourly or on salary?
The capitalized "H" in "OH, Congratulations" along with the smilies and ellipses in the spolier made it look to me like you were passive-aggressively sniping at Hicks. I would have read it in a better light if you'd ended the spolier with emphasis on the need to be careful of his coworkers.
Personally, I read it as a douche-y attempt to cast aspersions of sexual misconduct onto a religious group OTHER than Catholic clergy. Then again, I usually assume the worst from Tzor. So, take my POV with a grain of salt.

On a more positive note, congrats Hicks! :thumb:
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Cynic wrote:I've always been curious about the term "gainfully employed."

So is volunteering Ungainfully employed? What if you work overtime but aren't paid extra for that. Would that be ungainfully employed? Say you were on maternity leave for the year but your company gave everyone a bonus, would that be "gainfully unemployed"?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gainful

On the off chance that you weren't making an "Inconsistent English Language" joke.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Sir Neil wrote:Do youth leaders get paid hourly or on salary?
I generally don't unhit the shit key fast enough to get the two letter words. It's my most common typo; you should see my IM replies.

And really, I don't see you or anyone else griping at everyone who does it at me. (I was called by someone here 'a big wig in the Catholic Church' with the definite implication that I either was or indirectly supported pedeophiles. I let that one slide.)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

While we're on the topic, as of today I am also employed! I start Wednesday at A'Van (a caravan/motorhome making company), 38 hours a week.

Expect delays in my various projects.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

One more Congrats, Koumei. What are you gonna be doing?

FBMF: I did mean it as a joke but thanks for the link. As you say, Game on.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'll be a bonder, getting large boards of foam, aluminium and stuff, lining them up, gluing, then loading them into the presser. So, manual labour, more of a MAN'S JOB thing, but hey, equality means getting to do manual labour like a man, and operating POWER TOOLS and HEAVY MACHINERY.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

tzor wrote:I generally don't unhit the shit key fast enough to get the two letter words. It's my most common typo; you should see my IM replies.
My problem is the laptop keyboard is too small, so I'll type yu[ instead of yup, or worse.
And really, I don't see you or anyone else griping at everyone who does it at me.
I'm not griping, I just don't like seeing Niftyites fighting, especially due to miscommunication.