Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #5: City of Thieves

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What FF should we Let's Play next?

#2: Citadel of Chaos
55%
#7: Island of the Lizard King
45%

Total votes: 11

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The plums are sweet and juicy. Add 1 STAMINA point. You wipe your mouth with the back of your hand and continue west.
Walking towards you along the street are two huge guards wearing the black uniform of Lord Azzur. As they get closer you see that they are Trolls, brutal mercenaries employed by Lord Azzur as Imperial Elite Guards. To your right there is a tree which reaches almost to the top of the city wall.

Do you wish to risk walking past the Trolls or climb the tree in order to get over the wall?

Dirk von Facestabber III
SKILL: 12/12
STAMINA: 24/24
LUCK: 12/12
Equipment: Broadsword, Chainmail Coat, Magnificent Shield (+1 Attack)
Potions: None
Provisions: 6 meals
Keys: None
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Lantern, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror
Quest Items: Lotus Flower, Silver Arrow, Hag's Hair, Black Pearls (6)
Gold Pieces: 44
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

I'm itching for a fight after those delicious plums. Walk past dem trolls.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You try to walk nonchalantly past the Trolls, but they suspect something odd about you and call you over to them. They ask where you live and you reply that you are in Port Blacksand on a trading mission. The Trolls laugh scornfully and ask to see your pass. (We do not have a merchant's pass.)

The larger of the two Trolls tells you that you are under arrest for being in Port Blacksand without authorization. He tells you that he is feeling generous, however, and offers you a choice. You pay a fine of all the gold in your backpack and be thrown out of the city, or spend a year with rats and cockroaches in a dirty dungeon cell. The other Troll bursts out laughing, saying "Generous? Ho! Ho! Ho! Ah, Sourbelly, you've got such a sense of humor!"

(Sourbelly's expression.)

Do you wish to pay the fine and be thrown out of the city or resist arrest?

(Given that we're Dirk von Stabbington, and given how easily we've dispatched of both town guards and Trolls, I doubt that they can beat us. Also, we still need a tattoo. But the choice is yours, viewers, not mine. I sleep now.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

They call Dirk trollslayer, orc-layer.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

We kill them. Obviously.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well of COURSE we're going to resist arrest...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Pay the fine and be thrown out of the city?

Bender says that the most metal thing for the metalist man to do is resist arrest; and Bender should know, he's 40% metal.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Pick flowers
Eat fresh fruit
KILL POLICE
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You draw your sword and stand ready to fight the Trolls. They seem pleased that you are going to give them a chance to practice their beloved sport of killing humans, and advance towards you swinging their battle-axes. Sourbelly snarls and says, "Stand back, Fatnose - let me deal with this dog alone." Fight them one at a time:

SOURBELLY SKILL 10 STAMINA 11
FATNOSE SKILL 9 STAMINA 10

Combat Log:
Sourbelly 16, Dirk 18. Sourbelly is at 9.
Sourbelly 15, Dirk 20. Sourbelly is at 7.
Sourbelly 20, Dirk 23. Sourbelly is at 5.
Sourbelly 18, Dirk 21. Sourbelly is at 3.
Sourbelly 12, Dirk 16. Sourbelly is at 1.
Sourbelly 17, Dirk 20. Sourbelly is dead.
(We are given the option to Escape, but we're fucking kicking Troll ass.)
Fatnose 15, Dirk 17. Fatnose is at 8.
Fatnose 16, Dirk 19. Fatnose is at 6.
Fatnose 15, Dirk 22. Fatnose is at 4.
Fatnose 16, Dirk 18. Fatnose is at 2.
Fatnose 17, Dirk 20. Fatnose is dead.
(And those are Port Blacksand's finest guards. We're bad enough dudes to rescue the President!)

Your fight attracted a group of onlookers. Some of the beggars even cheered when you cut down old Sourbelly. But one sly-looking character sloped off with the obvious intention of finding more guards. It is dangerous to stay here any longer, so you run off west along Mill Street.
Behind you comes the sound of running feet. You look round and see a group of town guards chasing after you. As you stop to think where to run next, a boy runs out of a house and shouts "Follow me!" You have no better plan in mind so you run after him. The boy races down to the bottom of Mill Street and turns left into Goose Street. He stops at a cart laden with hay and starts to talk frantically to a kind-faced old man, saying, "Uncle! Uncle! This brave person killed Sourbelly. We must help him to escape." The old man speaks calmly to the boy, saying, "Indeed we owe a friend a favor. Quick, jump into the cart." You climb into the cart and cover yourself with hay. You lie completely motionless as you hear the running guards approach. They stop to speak to the old thatcher, but he sends them running off down Goose Street. After they are gone he whispers to you that he will take you to safety. You hear him climb on to the cart and urge his horse into a slow trot. The cart bounces noisily along the cobbled street but you feel comfortable in the hay. The cart stops and starts a few times, and you hear questioning voices, About half an hour later the cart stops again and the thatcher calls out, 'You can come out now.' You poke your head out of the hay and are surprised to see that you are on the edge of a wood. To the west you can see the daunting shape of Port Blacksand. You jump out of the cart and thank the thatcher for his trouble. He says goodbye to you and wheels his cart round to return to Port Blacksand. Do you have all the items required to slay the Night Prince, and have you been tattooed? (Fuck, we haven't been tattooed.)

It would be extremely dangerous for you to enter Port Blacksand again, especially as many of the town guards would recognize you. There is nothing you can do but make the long back to Silverton to report that you have failed in your mission.

FUCK THAT

WE GO DOWN THE ALLEY

FROM A FEW POSTS AGO
The lane ends at a small shop. On the glass-panel door is painted a sign: "Jimmy Quicktint, Best Tattooist in Town." A tiny bell rings as you push the door open and a fat man wearing purple silk smiles in greeting. You are surprised to see that his arms, hands, feet and even his face are completely covered in colorful tattoos. He grins and says, "Practice what you preach!" You tell him that you require a yellow sun to be tattooed on your forehead with a white unicorn in the center of it. He replies that it is a simple task but it will cost you 10 Gold Pieces. (We can afford his high price.)

He takes the money and motions you to sit down on a wooden stool. After a long and painful process of repeatedly pricking your forehead with a sharp needle he applies the indelible inks. You look in a mirror on the wall and find your new appearance somewhat strange. You shrug your shoulders and leave the shop; you then walk back up the lane and turn left into Mill Street.

(Then we would fight the Trolls again and all but we'd just murder their green asses again WITH A UNICORN ON OUR FOREHEAD. After another hayride...)

Following Nicodemus' map, you start your long walk north to the guarded tower of Zanbar Bone, the Night Prince. You walk through woods and fields. You are able to relax a little in the pleasant countryside and breathe the fresh air with its wonderful scents. As the light fades you decide to camp under a huge elm tree. You cook a meal of stewed rabbit and mushrooms before settling down to a long, deep sleep (add 2 STAMINA points). In the morning you look around for a yew tree and cut a long branch from it with which you make a bow to fire the silver arrow. As you test the bow for accuracy, you are suddenly aware of a white dove sitting on a low branch near by. There is a small piece of paper attached to its foot which it lets you remove without flying off. There is a message on the paper which reads:
(Rather kind for the old leader of Team Plasma to show concern for our mission. But this is the 2nd real "Fuck You" moment we've gotten. I vote we pick Hag's Hair and Lotus Flower, since we don't have 6 of those, indicating that they're more special, and undead villains like Black Pearls anyways. Any other suggestions will be noted though.)

You throw the message on the ground and curse. You change your mind a dozen times before your decision. Finally you make your choice, and grind the two ingredients together on a flat stone. You place the compound in a leather pouch, hoping you have made the correct decision. You set off again, but it is not long before your surroundings become less welcoming, the trees are twisted or stunted and there are no birds to be heard - you must be approaching the domain of the Night Prince. Suddenly to your left you hear rustling and grunting in the bushes. It is a wandering monster which has been attracted by your scent. Roll 1 due and consult the table below to see what creature has appeared. Fight this creature as usual.

Rolled 5, got an APE MAN SKILL 7 STAMINA 6

Combat Log:
Ape 16, Dirk 25. Ape is at 4.
Ape 16, Dirk 17. Ape is at 2.
Ape 9, Dirk 17. Ape is dead.
You notice that the Ape Man's left hand is curled into a fist. You prise open the fingers and find a tiny gold trinket in the shape of an owl. It is a magic talisman which will allow you to see in the dark. You place the owl carefully in your pocket and continue your journey.

You walk all day until you reach the hill shown on Nicodemus' map upon which the Night Prince's tower stands. All is quiet and there is an unpleasant smell of decay in the air. Shadows start to creep along the ground as the moon rises into the night sky and you see the foreboding silhouetted shape of Zanbar Bone's tower pointing up into the sky like a black finger. You check all your possessions before drawing your sword and marching towards the arched wooden door. Suddenly you hear a shrill howl and swing round to see two pairs of eyes staring at you. They belong to MOON DOGS, Zanbar Bone's trained killer hounds. Fight them one at a time.

TO BE CONTINUED

(Yeah, I seriously edited this a month after the original post, since I noticed some links were broken on a trip down memory lane.)
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Wait, so you automatically fail if you talk to the fruit boy instead of heading down an unmarked alley? What a pile of bullshit.

Also, I'm curious, do the other random monsters you fight give you some kind of special item? Or did we totally luck out?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(We totally lucked out. I count it as an apology from the game for the bullshit failure from fruit boy.)

First MOON DOG SKILL 9 STAMINA 10
Second MOON DOG SKILL 11 STAMINA 9

Combat Log:
Moon Dog A 18, Dirk 22. Moon Dog A is at 8.
Moon Dog A 14, Dirk 20. Moon Dog A is at 6.
Moon Dog A 16, Dirk 17. Moon Dog A is at 4.
Moon Dog A 13, Dirk 16. Moon Dog A is at 2.
Moon Dog A 17, Dirk 21. Moon Dog A is dead.
Moon Dog B 22, Dirk 24. Moon Dog B is at 7.
Moon Dog B 21, Dirk 23. Moon Dog B is at 5.
Moon Dog B 14, Dirk 23. Moon Dog B is at 3.
Moon Dog 20, Dirk 19. Dirk is at 22.
Moon Dog 17, Dirk 25. Moon Dog B is at 1.
Moon Dog 19, Dirk 21. Moon Dog B is dead.
(We are the baddest man alive!)

You wipe the blood from your sword and walk to the wooden door. You try the handle but it is locked. (We do not have a skeleton key.) You may pull on a cord hanging from the door or attempt to charge the door open with your shoulder.

Dirk von Facestabber III
SKILL: 12/12
STAMINA: 22/24
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Lantern, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror, Golden Owl of Darkvision
Quest Items: Unicorn Tattoo, Lotus Flower, Silver Arrow, Hag's Hair, Black Pearls (6)
Gold Pieces: 34
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, the book has fewer fuck you moments than Deathtrap Dungeon, but the 'two ingredients' thing is there solely to make 2/3 of your trips through the city pointless. For 'replay value.'

The worst part is that first you get an autofail if you don't have all the ingredients, and then it turns out that one of the ingredients is completely unnecessary anyway.

I move that we simply sidestep this blind roulette aspect of the book, have Dirk grind up all three materials together, and cheat like a motherfucker when the book asks us which combination we used.

Also, charge the door.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Hopefully the door will prove a greater challenge than the moon-dogs.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I say we prep an arrow of each mix.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Ringing the door to announce we've arrived to killadude would be pretty cool... but is it dumb
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

BREAK IT DOWN
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Yeah, let's break down the door. Also, shoot three arrows at once, one with each mix; one's bound to work.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

The wooden door is no match for our METAL SHOULDERS.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK, one of each sounds cool. I mean, we have 6 Black Pearls, a bowl of Lotus Flowers, and a fucking Hag scalp, so we should be able to do so. And yeah, right around the end of Port Blacksand this book gets much more bullshit.)

You charge the door several times before it splinters. Unfortunately, you injure your shoulder in the process. Lose 1 SKILL point. Through the broken door you see a thin, pale-skinned man with dark, hollow eyes, wearing a servant's uniform. In a cold, hissing voice he says, "Really, do you have to make such a dramatic entry? Could you have not pulled the bell cord like everybody else?

Do you wish to apologize and tell him that you are a lost traveler or attack him with your sword?

Dirk von Facestabber III
SKILL: 11/12
STAMINA: 22/24
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Lantern, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror, Golden Owl of Darkvision
Quest Items: Unicorn Tattoo, Lotus Flower, Silver Arrow, Hag's Hair, Black Pearls (6)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sword him.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Our name isn't Dirk von Reasonablediscussion. This guy gets facestabbed.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You push the man through the doorway and run him through with your sword. Much to your surprise he is unaffected by the wound. Slowly he advances towards you, trying to touch your skin with his skeletal, decayed hands. He grabs your arm but you manage to kick him away. He has left a mark on your arm that looks like a burn, but it emits a revolting smell of putrid flesh. Lose 2 STAMINA points. Then you realize that before stands a Spirit Stalker, one of the faithful servants of Zanbar Bone. As he advances towards you again, you try to remember what you must do. Will you:

Fire the silver arrow at him?
Reflect his stare in your mirror (if you have one, we do?)
Fire your Ring of Ice at him (if you have one, we don't?)
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Don't we need that arrow for later? Try the mirror.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Does this guy have a Gaze Attack? Or is he just ugly? Hit him with the mirror!
Last edited by Dr_Noface on Thu May 02, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You point the mirror at the Spirit Stalker, but it does not stop him from advancing. Again he manages to touch your flesh and burn you. Lose 2 STAMINA points. If you are still alive, you may fire your Silver Arrow at him.

You take aim with your bow and fire the arrow into the Spirit Stalker. The arrow plunges into its chest and the agonized look on the face of the Spirit Stalker tells you that the arrow has pierced its heart. It falls to the floor, and smoke starts to rise from its rotten flesh. Its mouth opens to release a deafening howl that echoes around the hallway and makes you shudder. Finally it is still, and you retrieve your silver arrow. You see that you are in a beautiful marble-floored hallway. On three of the four walls hang portraits of evil-looking men and women, but on the far wall hang two iron shields. The crest on one is a tower, and on the other a unicorn. A spiral staircase leads up from the center of the hallway to the floor above. Will you:

Take the shield with the tower crest?
Take the shield with the unicorn crest?
Climb the spiral staircase?

(Good thing we can retrieve our arrow, or we'd be fucked. Again. We could get another shield that matches our tattoo. Because coordinating your accessorizing is metal.)

Dirk von Facestabber III
SKILL: 11/12
STAMINA: 18/24