"Cyberlimbs" In D&D: Halp!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neurosis
Duke

"Cyberlimbs" In D&D: Halp!

Post by Neurosis »

Okay guys, I'm making a 3.5E character for fun and I want to call on the massive knowledge of 3.5E D&D that's stored here.

I want to know if there are such a thing as magical cyberlimbs in D&D. I mean in actual 3.5E Dungeons & Dragons, not in the d20 system, so d20 modern/future/whatever is out. It doesn't need to be CALLED a cyberlimb, obviously or actually function the same as one. I just want the medieval fantasy equivalent: a metal prosthetic you replace your real limbs (arms) with, presumably powered by magic. It can come from literally any sourcebook and I'm even willing to look at fanmade/homebrew material but anything in an actual PDF sourcebook is better.

I assume what I'm looking for is a magic item, not a class feature; having to give up class levels to get it would suck, but this is a just-for-fun exercise anyway so it doesn't really matter. (In Libris Mortis there are some (shitty, IIRC?) undead grafts that function almost like bioware, which is the closest thing I've found thus far, and isn't close enough.)

Assume that price/level is no object here, I want to look at what all the options are. Likewise it doesn't need to actually be any good, as long as it's not a horrible trap option that ruins your character forever, I can take it.

Thanks!
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

half-golem template from MM2.
there was a web enhancement for it at:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020803a
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Awesome, fectin, thanks!

Hmm...judging by the fact that this template grants Damage Reduction/+2, my Monster Manual II is apparently from 3E, not 3.5E. Fuck.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

update booklet says:

Half-Golem, Clay: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; LA —; Hit Dice: The character gains
bonus hit points according to his size: one-half the bonus construct hit points
for his size if he keeps his original type, or all the bonus hit points if he is now
a construct. For the sample half-golems, change HD to 1d10+20 (25 hp). Magic
Immunity (Ex): A half-golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that
allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently
against the creature, as noted in the appropriate golem descriptions. See
Monster Manual for revised golem special attacks (note the change to clay
golem's cursed wound).
Half-Golem, Flesh: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; 5/adamantine; LA —.
Half-Golem, Iron: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; LA —.
Half-Golem, Stone: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; LA —.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Fast den is fast.

Cool!

Edit: Damn. Looking at these stats, let me append the OP to "any cyberlimbs in D&D that don't entail a -6 Cha penalty?". Character I am building is supposed to be a religious charismatic of the highest order and the leader of a cult (of personality) so yeah...fudgicles.
Last edited by Neurosis on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Half-golem is definitely the way to go for that theme, but I'll mention another thing just for funsies.

There's also a magic items limb replacement.

Arm of Nyr from Defenders of Faith (so, 3e not 3.5).
"Arm of Nyr: This artificial arm made of mithral replaces an arm that has been lost by a good character. It will not function for a neutral character. "
It gave some bonuses too, including untyped stat mods. However beware of it falling off in an Anti-Magic Field or due to Dispel Magic!

Dunno if there was ever a 3.5 version.
Last edited by erik on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Darn arbitrary alignment restrictions; arm(s) of nyr would have worked better than half-golem (no -6 Cha!) but this guy's Chaotic Evil.

(If no one has guessed by now, character I am trying to stat is Sydney Losstarot from Vagrant Story.)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Oh good point. You could also go with grafting, and just reskin it as mithral.
Calamari cooking has some but I don't think any of them are what you want.

Races of the dragon might be your best bet, and go for Dragonheart Presence (p.128) and Taloned Arm (p.130). They look really overpriced though; if you like the character concept you might want to just give them to the player.

For the simple version, get a skeletal hand from Libris Mortis and silver-plate it.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Libris Mortis has some undead grafts, and there are a few in the Eberon family of books.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

You have the renegade mastermaker PrC from an eberron book, I believe it is not very good but is all about replacing your body parts with more mechanical parts.

- Edit: I believe there is also a mechanical battle armour / suit on the WotC website?
Found it: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a
Though it is more an entire suit, so you'd have to make some adjustments I guess, but then you might be better off with some of the grafts mentioned earlier.
Last edited by ishy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There is also the Pale Master. It got the 3.5 bad touch in Libris Mortis. One of your arms is an undead arm and it can look however you want. If you wanted it to be covered in metal, you could just do that. The class loses caster levels, so it's pretty ass. But creatures you kill by punching them turn into undead under your control with no limit, so there's that.

-Username17
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

One of your arms is an undead arm and it can look however you want. If you wanted it to be covered in metal, you could just do that.
Gotta be both arms and I'd prefer them magically mechanical, not undead, for flavor reasons. (Sydney "gave his arms to the gods" but the arms he got as replacements are pretty clearly empty metal gauntlets/bracers that just kind of magically work, not any kind of necrotic flesh grasp.)

I went with half-golem (not like he's gonna have trouble making the saves). This guy's going to probably end up CR 20 with about 16 class levels when I'm done with him (started with +1 LA from Aasimar before going Half-Golem).

Right now (i.e. as of CR 14 and 11 class levels) after the bollicking to mental stats from half golem, wound up with a stat line of Str 18, Dex 14, Int 12, Con 12, Wis 20, Cha 17. (Was Str 6, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 23 before that.) Not the best stat-line for a cleric/religious charismatic but the DR 25/magic and +11 natural armor is probably worth it overall. Iron-golem breath weapon makes no sense for the character but he can just kind of...not use it. Worth mentioning that all of the above is with absolutely no equipment; I'm doing equipment last.

Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 3 so far, for the curious.
But creatures you kill by punching them turn into undead under your control with no limit, so there's that.
How I wish that were the case in real life. It would give me a lot more incentive to (learn how to) punch creatures to death (properly).
Last edited by Neurosis on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fiend Folio has an appendix full of grafts, including Maug. They're stone, rather than metal, but if you ask nicely, you could probably change the flavour.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Asking nicely isn't an issue since this is an exercise and if this character would actually ever appear in anything, ever, I'd be GMing it, so I'll check that out. : )
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well there you go. Oh. There's also a Half-Machine template in an old Dungeon magazine. Gimme a few and I'll type that up.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The various construct grafts from Magic of Eberron (the same book ishy was mentioning) would also fit the bill.
Last edited by hogarth on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so I'm going to modify a bit, because, 1), the template's from 3e, and 2), there are some silly limitations. I may do up Graft style info for the mods at some point.

Half Machine
Template that can be added to any corporeal creature except constructs, elementals, oozes, plants and undead. Type does not change, though the creature does gain the (Living Construct) subtype.
HD: Increase base creature's hit dice one step, max d12
Speed: There is a chance (25%) the creature will have metallic wings grafted to it's body, granting it flight at it's base speed, average maneuverability. Creatures that already fly may have their wings replaced.
AC: +8 natural, due to mechanical exoskeleton and wings.
Special Attacks: The Base Creature retains all prior special abilities, and gains one of the following per three levels or Hit Die:
Breath Weapon The Half Machine of Tiny or larger size can spew one of the following breath weapons as a standard action once per day: Cone of Steam, Cone of Fire, Cone of Ice, Cone of Sleep Gas (as the sleep spell, without HD or number of target restriction), Cone of Sonic, Cone of Slow Gas (as the Slow spell), Line of Acid, or Line of Lightning. Caster Level for spell effects is 5, or the Half Machine's level, whichever is higher. The save DC is Con based. [/td][td]Creature Size[/td][td]Line Length[/td][td]Cone Length[/td][td]Damage [/td][/tr]
Tiny30'15'1d6
Small40'20'2d6
Medium60'30'3d6
Large80'40'5d6
Huge100'50'7d6
Gargantuan120'60'11d6
Colossal140'70'15d6

Extra Attacks The Half Machine has 1d4 extra limbs, each treated as an extra secondary weapon
Increased Bite Damage The Half Machine's jaw is reinforced with metal plates and pistons. Their bite deals damage as if one size larger. If they do not possess a Bite attack, they gain one.
Increased Claw Damage The Half Machine's hands have been modified with razor sharp blades. Their claw attack deals damage as if they were a size larger. If they do not have a claw attack, they gain one.
Metal Projectiles The Half Machine can fire a metal spike, dart, needle, flechette, etc. as a standard action. This projectile deals damage as the creature's claw attack, and has a range increment of 30'. The Half Machine has a store of projectiles equal to twice it's level, and can refill this through 8 hours of rest. Projectiles are ideal for carrying contact or injury poison.
Any feat or ability that applies to ranged weapons can be applied to the Half Machine's projectiles, such as rapidshot.
Tail Slap The Half Machine is equipped with a lizard like mechanical tail it can slap opponents with. This acts exactly like a normal tail slap attack.
Tail Spike The Half Machine is equipped with a scorpion-like spike on it's tail. This acts as a normal natural weapon, and carries one dose of injury poison per level or Hit Die of the Half Machine.
Special Qualities The Half Machine retains all prior Special Qualities, and gains the following:
Programmed The Half Machine is programmed to completely obey it's creator, as if under the effect of a Dominate Monster spell cast by a 20th level caster. Killing the creator frees the Half Machine, and a lengthy ritual, taking 1 hour per Hit Die or Level of the Half Machine can also free the Half Machine. This ritual requires a DC 35 Heal check and a DC 35 Knowledge Arcana check to be made after the first hour. Successive Heal Checks at the same DC must be made every three hours after the first (4, 7, 10, 13, etc.), and successive Knowledge Arcana checks must be made every four hours after the first (5, 9, 13, 17, etc.). At the end of the ritual, the Half Machine makes a save against a Dominate Monster effect, as if their creator were a 20th Level Wizard, with a bonus to the check equal to the number of successful Knowledge Arcana checks their deprogrammer made.
The unique structure of the Half Machine's mind makes them difficult to affect with other mind controlling abilities, as such, Half Machines gain a +4 resistance bonus against such attacks and spells.
Rust Vulnerability All Half Machines without the requisite special ability below are subject to attacks which rust metal.
Additional Special Qualities A Half Machine gains one of the following Special Qualities for every 3 levels or HD it possesses:
Damage Reduction The Half Machine gains DR according to the following table: [/td][td]Creature Size[/td][td]DR [/td][/tr]
Tiny or smaller5/Magic
Small, Medium, Large10/Magic
Huge, Gargantuan20/Magic
Colossal30/Adamantine

Dark Sight Ocular implants allow the Half Machine to see in all darkness, including magical.
Energy Resistance Each time this ability is chosen, the Half Machine gains resistance 10 to acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic. Multiple picks of the same energy stack.
Enhanced Senses Heavy modification of the Half Machine's face and sensory organs grants them the Scent and Keen Senses qualities.
Haste Once per day, the Half Machine may haste itself as the spell, after having engaged in 1 round of combat, as the spell cast by a 10th level sorcerer.
Cloaking The Half Machine can, as a standard action, bend light around it's body, replicating the Improved Invisibility spell as cast by a tenth level sorcerer.
Rust Protection The Half Machine is coated in alchemical liquids discovered after 39 failed attempts, removing their vulnerability to rust.
Shielded Mind The Half Machine has arcane shielding built into it's mind, making it immune to Mind Affecting effects (though they do still need to make the save against Dominate Monster when being deprogrammed).
Spell Resistance The Half Machine is coated in glistening, metallic plate, making it difficult for spells to affect them. They gain SR equal to twice their Hit Die, to a max of 25.
Abilities +4 str, +4 con
Skills: The Half Machine's enhanced body receives a +8 competence bonus to two of the following skills: Climb, Intimidate, Listen, Search, Spot, or Swim.
Feats: A Half Machine gains four of the following feats, assuming the base creature does not already have them: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Flyby Attack, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Multiweapon Fighting, Run, Toughness, Track.
CR: +3
Last edited by Prak on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Cloaking The Half Machine can, as a standard action, bend light around it's body, replicating the Improved Invisibility spell as cast by a tenth level sorcerer.

making itself, effectively, blind for the duration . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

Minor bureaucratic note here: the half-golem is LA -, not LA +0, which normally means its a non-playable monster, rather than a freebie template. In spite of characters being able to buy half-golem limbs.
Last edited by CCarter on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Faiths of Eberron has the Graft Construct feat and lets you put metal arms on people.

Mighty Arms cost 1,000 gold, cost 2 HP permanently, and give a 1d4 slam attack.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Mighty Arms cost 1,000 gold, cost 2 HP permanently, and give a 1d4 slam attack.
Wow at a glance that does not look worth it at all.

Thanks for all the ideas and options guys. I just finished up the first draft of the build (I was going to do him twice, once as a Cleric and once as a Binder from Tome of Magic; it's the Cleric version I finished up). I used the original half-iron golem table; not a playable character under normal circumstances since it's LA-, but this guy is basically an NPC anyway. (He has two iron golem limbs, both arms. He made both Will Saves.)
Sydney Losstarot
Iron Half-Golem Aasimar Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 8; CR 20; Medium sized humanoid; HD 8d8 + 8 plus 8d6 + 8 (hp 92); Init +5; Spd 30ft.; AC 35; touch 19; flat-footed 30; Base Atk +10/+5; Grp +14; Atk; +19 melee (1d8 + 9/17-20 +5 keen longsword); Full Atk +19/+14 melee (1d8 + 9/17-20 +5 keen longsword); SA-breath weapon, daylight 1/day, rebuke undead 10/day; SQ-damage reduction 25/magic, darkvision, divination enhancement, improved uncanny dodge, oracle domain, prescient sense, resistance (acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5), rust vulnerability, scry bonus, trap sense +3; AL CE; SV Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +20; Str 6 (18), Dex 16 (20), Con 8 (12), Int 18 (12), Wis 20 (26), Cha 24 (24).

Skills and Feats: Bluff +15, Concentration +13, Diplomacy +17, Heal +10, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (history) +8, Knowledge (religion) +13, Knowledge (the planes) +8, Listen +10, Spot +10, Spellcraft +13; Augment Summoning, Martial Weapon Prof. (Longsword), Persuasive, Skill Focus (Knowledge [Religion]), Spell Focus (Conjuration), Spell Focus (Enchantment).

Cleric Spells Prepared: 0—detect magic x 2, light, purify food/water, read magic x 2; 1—command x 2, cure light wounds, remove fear x 2, summon undead I, obscuring mist (D); 2—augury, desecrate, enthrall x 2, hold person x 2, undetectable alignment, blindness/deafness (D); 3—animate dead, awaken sin, blade of pain and fear, cure serious wounds, dispel magic, glyph of warding, ring of blades, suggestion (D); 4—dismissal, divine power, freedom of movement, giant vermin, stop heart, summon undead IV, armor of darkness (D); 5— raise dead, scrying, slay living, triadspell, unhallow, greater command (D) +; 6—heal, summon monster VII, word of recall, prying eyes (D); 7— blasphemy, greater scrying, word of chaos, mass suggestion (D); 8—create greater undead, summon monster VIII, true domination (D).

Possessions: Czarine (+5 keen longsword), ring of invisibility, ring of mind shielding, rod of metamagic (quicken), wand of hold person, wand of cure moderate wounds, wand of dispel magic (10th), wand of suggestion, wand of darkfire, wand of moonbolt, bag of holding type I, boots of levitation, bracers of armor +5, cloak of charisma +6, periapt of wisdom +6, gloves of dexterity +6, hand of glory, ring of protection +4, helm of teleportation, unholy symbol (rood inverse).

C-Log:
Rolled Stats: 6, 8, 16, 18, 18, 18. Equivalent to ~58 Point~ Point-Buy so definitely in the realm of "high-powered".
1st Level--Aasimar
2st Level--Cleric 1 (Darkness and Domination) 24/24 (Persuasion)
3rd Level--Cleric 2 6/6
4th Level--Cleric 3 6/6 (Spell Focus (Conjuration)
5th Level--Cleric 4 6/6 [+1 CHA]
6th Level--Cleric 5. 6/6
7th Level--Cleric 6. 6/6 (Augment Summoning)
8th Level--Cleric 7. 6/6 [+1 CHA]
9th Level--Cleric 8. 6/6
10th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 1. 6/6 (Skill Focus[Knowledge (Religion)])
Half-Iron Golem [+-2 Dex, +4 Con, -6 Int, -6 Cha, +12 Strength]
11th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 2. 3/3
12th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 3. 3/3 (Martial Weapon Prof. [Longsword]) [+1CHA]
13th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 4. 3/3
14th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 5. 3/3
15th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 6. 3/3 (Spell Focus [Enchantment])
16th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 7. 3/3 [+1 CHA]
17th Level--Cleric 8/Divine Oracle 8. 3/3

Spent: 483,000/760,000gp (based on 20th level character)
This is really far from hard optimization/applied cheese (like I literally did not even finish spending all of the gold a character of this level would normally have), but since it's at around "not-asstarded" it's about a million times better than the job I did when I was 18 and I statted this same character at this same level for my campaign setting (somehow I managed to give a CR 15 character an AC of...15? I want to go back in time and slap my young self). Although in hindsight the gloves of dexterity might visually ruin the effects of his scary metal fingers. I'm picturing the Bracers of Armor and the Iron Golem arms themselves as being pretty much one and the same item. No worn armor because Sydney Losstarot goes around shirtless because he just gives that little of a shit.

Still, some C&C is welcome especially from anyone who knows the character (or just people who know D&D better than I do and can spot stuff I did wrong; Edit--already spotted one minor error, too lazy to fix). It was a fun project for the day and very diverting. (Other things I want to stat, once I see how Sydney Losstarot looks as a Binder, include Caine from Heroes Die and various other Vagrant Story characters (Ashley Riot, Guildenstern, etcetera.)
Last edited by Neurosis on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Stahlseele wrote:Cloaking The Half Machine can, as a standard action, bend light around it's body, replicating the Improved Invisibility spell as cast by a tenth level sorcerer.

making itself, effectively, blind for the duration . .
because people give a shit about how magical bat wings work in the real world...

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I know magical prosthetics have been associated with the drow a few times since at least 2e. I'm checking DotU momentarily, but I'm sure one of the 3rd party sources on the subject had to have done something.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's also Monte Cook's Chaositech. But, yeah.

Xur
Apprentice

Post by Xur »

Prak_Anima wrote:There's also Monte Cook's Chaositech. But, yeah.
Hey, that splatbook isn't actually that bad, I thought it had several cool ideas. Admitted, if you want to have cyberlimbs as a purely technological thing without a new power source/corruption of your soulzzz/whatever, it's not that helpful.