Are any RPG's worth playing?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

EightWave
Journeyman

Post by EightWave »

Well, yeah, unless you have a first-gen Pentium, of course.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

If you ask me, if a game is worth playing or not depends on whether a game's virtues outweigh its flaws regarding what you are looking for.

For me? I'm always up for M&M, V5 has proved most enjoyable, and I enjoy Gumshoe provided the GM gets no weeb pretenses and understands the game is about, well, gumshoes, not "high action heroes/super spies/Buck Rogers."

L5R's latest edition also looks rather serviceable from what I read in the beta, so if you enjoy playing introverts in anal-retentive societies, I highly recommend it.

Many people here swear by FATE, but if possible, I'd stick with either Legends of Anglerre or Strands of FATE so you don't directly support the gangsters at Evil Hat.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

erik wrote:The OP has had an account for 5 years. Obviously they’re aware of Tome and other good rpgs. This is a troll thread and should be treated as such.
At times I just feel shitty. I love rpgs but they all feel so flawed. Tome stuff isn't very organized or easy to use, last I checked.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:Tome stuff isn't very organized or easy to use, last I checked.
It's like Skyrim modding.You can do a little, or a lot, but the results will probably be interesting.
radthemad4 wrote:I love Tome, but there's a lot of it if you include community stuff.

Long Route, pick and choose what you like from here
Recommended Reads

The Tome of Necromancy
The Tome of Fiends
The Dungeonomicon
Races of War

Kaelik's Tome Errata
Red_Rob's Metamagic feats
'Alpha Metamagic' is a thing where metamagic'd spells don't take up higher slots, but spell level + metamagic level has to be lower than or equal to half your level (round up). Alpha quicken being obligatory by level 9 might not be a good thing, but besides that and in some cases, Strong Spell (e.g. combo'd with attune sphere to get fireball as a 1st level spell), it works decently. Red Rob made them casters only and Kaelik allowed them to work with SLA users with a caveat.
How these interact with SLA users is complicated, because some SLA users will become bonkers, and some won't. Sort if out yourself, or use different feats for SLA users.
Red Rob's Tome Armor
Red Rob's Tome Magic Items
Kaelik's Alternative Item Bonus Progression
(I like this just being an inherent thing you get based on how many levels you have in PC classes)

Skill hacks (pick one, or neither)
Kaelik Skill Groups (I like the 'everything is a class skill' variant)
Tome of Prowess

More Scaling feats, if you're using them
- Red Rob
- virgil
- Dominicus
- dnd-wiki.org

(I like to use 'one feat per level, but only your 1, 3, 6, 9, etc. can be scaling or Tome feats', 'Ignore prereqs for things in general besides minimum acquirable level' and 'scaling feat benefits are capped by CR, so a 2 CR monster with 50 billion BAB still only gets the 1 BAB benefits' (If you customize monster feats anyway. You could also just use monsters and/or NPCs unmodified instead) )

If any players want sphere based classes (or have players who want to take Attune Sphere) you can find a lot of spheres here (and some more in the More community material link below).

Moar stuff
Community material repository
More community material
Tome Material on dnd-wiki (also there's other material not specifically designed for Tome that could nonetheless be used with it)

Stuff I'd recommend not using (not comprehensive)
- Tome Fighter
- Firemage
- Combat School
- The Lift maneuver from races of war
- The Soulborn (Or just nerf it. I'd go with no endless smiting, no Cha to saves, no basic bonuses on your chakra things, no parry magic, no pressing assault, make demon summoning an 'astonishing' soulmeld)
- Product of Celestial Dalliance
Short Route
Virgil's Family Tome (Material for upto level 6)

Mediumish Route?
AwesomeTome ('Core Tome' + a collection of community material available at the time, i.e. 2010)

Use 3.5 for Magic items or the Tome Armor/Magic items things linked above
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I'm actually an unironic fan of mongoose Traveller. It's a serviceable space opera hexcrawler right out of the box. So that's nice.

If you want you can find traveller resources here.
Last edited by Hicks on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered